Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Oil service warning

Sp0_0k

Sp0_0k

Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
We are on a second trip to Norway and got caught with a warning of oil service in 3k km. We are at 17k on the clock and I was sure T6 has 2years 40k service plan. Was even advised by dealer to change oil earlier to keep engine in better condition.
Anyway, what are our options? We definitely planned more than 3k on this trip. Around 5-6.
I suppose changing oil at 23k won't be tolerated by warranty.
So we might have to change oil in Norway or Sweeden (if it is cheaper) no idea what cost to expect in Norway.

We are on a second trip to Norway and got caught with a warning of oil service in 3k km. We are at 17k on the clock and I was sure T6 has 2years 40k service plan. Was even advised by dealer to change oil earlier to keep engine in better condition.
Anyway, what are our options? We definitely planned more than 3k on this trip. Around 5-6.
I suppose changing oil at 23k won't be tolerated by warranty.
So we might have to change oil in Norway or Sweeden (if it is cheaper) no idea what cost to expect in Norway.
When the Oil is due to be changed and when it is changed would be logged in the vehicle computer module. The oil condition is monitored by sensors. The more contaminated it is the sooner an oil change is required.
In the UK the Longlife Service is 2 years or about 20,000 miles NOT km.
At present I'm on 17765 miles since the last oil change and the MFD says the next change is due in 8565 miles. That would make it 26,000 miles. Short journeys and low engine revs will increase the oil pollution and shorten the oil change interval.

I believe my warning is purely based on 20k km limit. We didnt have short trips and dont think it considered the quality of oil.

I believe my warning is purely based on 20k km limit. We didnt have short trips and dont think it considered the quality of oil.
The MFD Information is based on the degree of Oil Contamination measured by a sensor that measures the conductance of the oil. It also takes into account milage and time for the other service items.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes

Could it be the computer is set to fix term oil change... instead of the long term....
Think you should pop in at a VW dealer allong the way have it checked .

OP: there's no 40,000 mile service plan. It's up to 18,000 miles. Why don't you get it serviced in Norway?

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes

Flexible regime has been made possible due to the development of new Volkswagen engines with the latest technically advanced longlife oil. These engines use built-in sensors that continually monitor the oil quality, making it possible to enjoy reliable and confident motoring for up to a maximum of 18,000* miles or 24 months (whichever occurs first).

It can be more than 18,000 miles between oil changes. It really depends on the type of driving and I mean milage over time, according to my Dealership.

Change the oil ! We waited for the oil light which didnt come on and done £1000 worth of damage in our works T5 ! Now change every 10k regardless of recommendations for the sake of £100 new oil and filters !! Always get told by dealer its not due but im happy knowing its done on Cali and Amarock !

Is your display reading service inspection or oil change?

If you have configured your MDF in kilometers it make sense, in kilometers, the long life oil last 40k kilometers (providing the system do not decide ask for it earlier because de oil condition)

I had the sams issue this summer, and had to decide whether change the oil in Rome or wait I were back to UK. Finally decided do in Rome. Asked VW Rome whether is problem have the service several thousands later and, surprisiny they told me it not a problem do it X thousand later, where X was a lot in my oppinion (I caculated between 2k and 3k kms after the change limit, but they told me more).

20k kms is the limit for not long lifd oil if I'm not wrong.

VW recommend the same oil if on Long Life or Annual service.

Called local dealer and they said there is indeed like 30-40k km and 2 years before oil change.
Got home at 21k and changed it just in case.
The most probable cause they didn't set the computer properly on the plant and put 20k oil change.
Dealer change the computer settings as well.
And it cost me half the price Norwegian VW service proposed.
Funny that I've contacted like 10 services in Norway and Sweeden. Got response just from one.

We have a 2017 T6 Beach 150 manual (ex-demonstrator). The van has done 14,000 miles since new in june17. Our warning came on during last week- "oil service 800 miles" - this then dropped to 500 miles after driving about 30! - now on 200 miles after about another 70.
Contacted Liverpool VW and the lady at the service desk told me that my vehicle didn't need a service until 20,000 miles and to ignore the warning. Also told me that an early oil change may disrupt my warranty!!
Not happy with this dismissal so contacted Wrexham VW vans (our nearest service garage for VW vans) only to be told the same by the service desk lady.
I do not feel that I have had the advice from an experienced service technician - rather it has come from the service desk call-responder.
Has anyone else had this advice and what have you done about it?

We have a 2017 T6 Beach 150 manual (ex-demonstrator). The van has done 14,000 miles since new in june17. Our warning came on during last week- "oil service 800 miles" - this then dropped to 500 miles after driving about 30! - now on 200 miles after about another 70.
Contacted Liverpool VW and the lady at the service desk told me that my vehicle didn't need a service until 20,000 miles and to ignore the warning. Also told me that an early oil change may disrupt my warranty!!
Not happy with this dismissal so contacted Wrexham VW vans (our nearest service garage for VW vans) only to be told the same by the service desk lady.
I do not feel that I have had the advice from an experienced service technician - rather it has come from the service desk call-responder.
Has anyone else had this advice and what have you done about it?
The whole point of the oil system having a monitoring system is to account for different types of driving, long/short trips etc:, the oil should be changed at 20,000 miles or 2 years UNLESS the oil monitoring indicates an earlier change.

Ask to speak to the Service Manager AND ask them to put it in writing so that you can confirm with VWUK that the Warranty will not be void by taking the Dealers advice.
This Dealership is wrong.

Alternatively find another Dealership, or ask VWUK customer services for their advice.

Thanks WelshGas - I was very underwhelmed by the response from both Liverpool and Wrexham service desk answer-persons!
I have already recontacted Wrexham (our nearest van-service garage) and finally got through to someone with sense who agreed that it did indicate an oil change was required! I have booked it in for an early service - so maybe my engine will run for a bit longer! - It is interesting though - the vehicle is used for many days in the week both short and long distances, but I suspect it is the short journeys that challenge it most

Personally I change my engine oil and filter every 10k miles irrespective of what the service indicator says. Do not skimp on the quality of the oil.

Back