Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Oil type and quantity

Sonas

Sonas

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi
Just about to have my first oil change. Because of costs(Switzerland) I am going to a VW approved garage and not the main dealer. He has given me a price based on 5 laters of oil. Is that enough?. He also asked me for the type of oil, he mentioned long life, but I wasn't sure, but I guess he know anyway. Is it long life??, and is 5 litres enough?

thanks

Sonas

• Clever Stuff
Reactions: Les
T6 needs at least 7 litres, as for oil the best you can afford, Castrol 5w - 30 would be a good choice.

Don't know much about the long life stuff, I would change at 12 months or 12 thousand miles regardless.

yes likewise, I change the engine oil and filter every 12 months regardless....whatever the display says!

Good afternoon,

Just last Wednesday I arranged the first oil service (14000 km, one year).

> 7 l oil was used, oil filter change and a small button battery (?).

Regards,
Eberhard

Button battery for the remote I'd think. Whether you needed it or not??

Button battery for the remote I'd think. Whether you needed it or not??

I am not sure. Tomorrow I will check the manual to look what kind of battery is needed for the remote control and what is on the invoice.

If it is for the remote control it would be a bit cheeky. I had a Tiguan for almost 6 years and changed the battery once. There is no need to change it after a year - and bad for the environment too.

Regards,
Eberhard

I am not sure. Tomorrow I will check the manual to look what kind of battery is needed for the remote control and what is on the invoice.

If it is for the remote control it would be a bit cheeky. I had a Tiguan for almost 6 years and changed the battery once. There is no need to change it after a year - and bad for the environment too.

Regards,
Eberhard
Had an EOS, remote battery changed after 7 years when it failed. Free from VW.
Forgot about the Heater remote control being a possibility.

Good evening,

The heater remote control was at home. That would be funny if VW charged me for that.

I leave the heather remote control always in my room at home. I don't want to lose it, I believe I read here somewhere that it is very expensive to replace.

Regards,
Eberhard

Keep an eye on tesco. They sometimes do castrol 5 30 ll on half price.

Don't know wether this has been covered, and is it applicable to the California/Transporter range.

A friend has a 64 plate Audi quattro, he has to suck the oil out to do an oil change, using a pump he bought of ebay.
No plug in sump???

Don't know wether this has been covered, and is it applicable to the California/Transporter range.

A friend has a 64 plate Audi quattro, he has to suck the oil out to do an oil change, using a pump he bought of ebay.
No plug in sump???
The T5.1 has a sump plug.

What should I expect from a service, that’s necessary and not over inflated, when a text message appears on the dash saying.. oil service now! (2000 miles & a year old). Thanks.

What should I expect from a service, that’s necessary and not over inflated, when a text message appears on the dash saying.. oil service now! (2000 miles & a year old). Thanks.
Usually needs oil change on long life regime at 20,000 miles or 2 years. But you have only averaged 38 miles a week, so i presume idle for quite a few months, i would have it changed sooner than later.
Also remember after 4 yrs you will need a new cambelt and water pump, at the mileage you do that will be at 8,000 miles.

If you have recently bought it take it back to be reset. It sounds like they didn’t input the correct service intervals at PDI.
@Solis

Copied this of internet today.

It’s not a question of the oil breaking down in 3,500 miles/1 year.
Instead it is a matter of the oil likely being diluted by water vapor (a normal byproduct of combustion), as well as the potential for oil sludging to take place.

The problem with a vehicle that logs only 3,500 miles in 1 year is that–in most cases–those miles are accumulated mostly with short-distance local driving. That type of driving does not allow the engine and the oil to become hot enough to evaporate the water vapor, and the oil becomes diluted over time.

The process of dilution of the oil, coupled with an engine running on a richer than normal mixture when it is not fully warmed-up, can create the perfect storm for the formation of sludge, internal corrosion, and resulting engine damage.

Normally, I don’t trust the automated oil life monitors on cars to tell me when to change the oil, but in this case, I would suggest that you take its notification very seriously. Even if you are skeptical of an oil change being necessary at this point, the reality that you will void the warranty on your engine by failing to change the oil on the recommended schedule should prod you into action.

Thanks. So one should expect an oil and filter change only.

My 204 came up with service due when 12 months old (7,500mls), VW said didn't need one and would reset and change the settings. I had an oil change plus filter done at local garage, left settings as per delivery. Now at 21 months it says 'inspection due in xx days'
Booked in for a service, took a 2 service contract out on purchase which VW have no record of!!

My 204 came up with service due when 12 months old (7,500mls), VW said didn't need one and would reset and change the settings. I had an oil change plus filter done at local garage, left settings as per delivery. Now at 21 months it says 'inspection due in xx days'
Booked in for a service, took a 2 service contract out on purchase which VW have no record of!!

I had the same when I went for my first mot which was included with the four service package I purchased when new. It was explained to me that that was personal information and current DPA does not allow them to hold such personal info?
When booking I was asked to bring proof of package purchase and details. However on arrival the dealer had obtained all the necessary proof.
It seems different dealers hold different levels of info on your vehicle. ?????

Back