Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Oil usage

H

Helen Baron

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi, we've done 2000 miles in our new California since taking delivery of it on 3rd March and I've had to put a full litre of oil in it (no oil warning light came on but the radiator cooling fan came on after a short journey when I turned the engine off). Does anyone know whether using so much oil so quickly is normal? Could there be something wrong ( there is no sign of a leak)?
Thanks, Helen

Did you check it when you took delivery? I suspect they come out the factory already quite low on oil!

That is most definitely not normal.

Are you sure you're reading the dip stick correctly on level ground, without having run the engine?

You can do as much harm over filling an engine as under filling it.

Did you check it when you took delivery? I suspect they come out the factory already quite low on oil!
Why? What an odd assumption! Don't you think the dealers PDI would double check?

Not normal, provided of course the level was correct to begin with, and you followed the instructions in the Handbook and measured correctly ie: on a level surface. Dipstick correctly pushed home and oil not measured until at least 10 minutes after engine off, and you used the markings as detailed in the handbook.
The Oil Level warning lights up when 1.5 L have been used.

The fan running on after engine shutdown seems to be a T6 thing. Plenty of posts on the subject in the T6 section.

Hi, we've done 2000 miles in our new California since taking delivery of it on 3rd March and I've had to put a full litre of oil in it (no oil warning light came on but the radiator cooling fan came on after a short journey when I turned the engine off). Does anyone know whether using so much oil so quickly is normal? Could there be something wrong ( there is no sign of a leak)?
Thanks, Helen

They can use a lot of oil during the run in period. Your dealer should have explained that at handover (and provided you with a litre bottle of oil, just as mine did). The cooling fan staying on is normal. Don't worry about that. Oil consumption, and fuel consumption should improve as miles increase. If it doesn't a call to your dealer is in order.

Why? What an odd assumption! Don't you think the dealers PDI would double check?
My dealer did check at PDI and topped it up, as it was low out of the factory.

They can use a lot of oil during the run in period. Your dealer should have explained that at handover (and provided you with a litre bottle of oil, just as mine did). The cooling fan staying on is normal. Don't worry about that. Oil consumption, and fuel consumption should improve as miles increase. If it doesn't a call to your dealer is in order.

Oh you mustn't mention that. Got told off " Modern engines Don't use oil ". All mine have in the 1st year, some more than others, as did my California, but then I do cover 20,000 + miles a year.

Something interesting I found - Oil can increase its volume by absorbing moisture from the air in the engine. Especially if it is not heated upto proper engine temperatures on a regular basis.

Driving style can also have an effect on oil consumption. If you make the engine work hard it will use more oil than is normal - this is particularly true for a new engine.

Driving style can also have an effect on oil consumption. If you make the engine work hard it will use more oil than is normal - this is particularly true for a new engine.

I would say not normal if checked correctly, regardless of driving style. Albert from new did not require topping up until around 14,000 miles, ..... mind you, it was hell of a top up.... but that's another, embarrassing, story .....

As with many things oil consumption sometimes can be hard to find why it uses oil.
My general impression is many others on the forum with T6 have been mentioning minor oil comsumption so it can be normal maybe , as long it's not continu keeps going.
Anybody vistits other forums ? Any news there?

I would say not normal if checked correctly, regardless of driving style. Albert from new did not require topping up until around 14,000 miles, ..... mind you, it was hell of a top up.... but that's another, embarrassing, story .....
Well you did try to make it fly if I remember correctly + 2 new tyres!!!!!!;)

Mine had a health check about a month after I bought it, it was low on oil, I suspect it was low to begin with. In the 16500 miles since it has only taken about half a litre of oil top up since I filled it.

Back