Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Older child on bench seat?

M

McMeefia

We have a tall 10 year old who is too big for a child’s car seat but too small to sit comfortably on the bench seat. We’ve fitted a seat belt adjuster which lowers the seatbelt a touch and stops it digging into her neck. The biggest problem is her legs are not quite long enough to sit with her back against the rear of the seat and allow her legs to hang over the edge so she end up badly slumped in the seat.
To be fair I’m 5’9” and I don’t exactly find the bench seat all that comfortable without a pillow to provide lumbar support.
We’ve tried to add a foam seat wedge to help with the problem of sliding off the seat and have a little pillow for lumbar support but I just wondered what other people do with their ‘tweens’?

Sounds like she still needs a low profile booster seat/back of some sort. Slumped is not safe - risk of submarining.

I absolutely agree about the ‘submarining’ thing.

She’s 5’5” (165cm) so a small lady really and is just too tall for the children’s booster seats (they don’t provide any support behind the back of the thigh so just add to the problem).

I know a number of people don’t bother with anything after the car seat age/height stage but I guess you could put us in the car safety nerd bracket. I was just wondering if anyone else in the ‘over 5ft’ range (adults included) found the bench rather broad and plank-like to use?

Last edited:
Thats taller than my Mrs! our youngest two invariably end up either sitting cross legged or wedged into the corners & sitting diagonally with their feet up on the bench. Whilst no ideal I don't see that it can be any more dangerous than sitting with their legs dangling.
The smallest one like to use a "bubble bum" booster about £20 in halfords- its inflatable so acts as a cushion. We bought it as its the only booster we could find that fits into the seats of the Lotus.

Yes, I'm a bit confused as that is average adult female height isn't it or maybe slightly under. Even so should be OK as my son is shorter and has no issues.

Got a pic less her head of course??