Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

On board Shower.

dartmoordingoe

dartmoordingoe

VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Buying an ?Ex demo for next spring Iys a Coast with some extras.One thing I would have liked is the Shower but when I looked at the price ... I thought "maybe" at circa 300 pounds ... but it turns out to get this VW add in the Int Light Option which puts the price up to 1000 pounds.
That seems crazy .. So the question is ... how useful is that shower and are there cheaper ways of adding it in later.

Also what do people maker of the Decathlon Shower options etc

Thanks Tom

I decided not to spec the shower attachment after reading the good (and much cheaper) alternatives in this article: https://campfiremag.co.uk/camping-shower/

Unless I'm mistaken the Cali can't heat water, so the shower attachment will only ever give you a cold shower.

Buying an ?Ex demo for next spring Iys a Coast with some extras.One thing I would have liked is the Shower but when I looked at the price ... I thought "maybe" at circa 300 pounds ... but it turns out to get this VW add in the Int Light Option which puts the price up to 1000 pounds.
That seems crazy .. So the question is ... how useful is that shower and are there cheaper ways of adding it in later.

Thanks Tom

There is a shower attachment that you can fit to the sink and stick out the window for exactly the same effect (but nearly 1k cheaper). Sold in the shop attached to this site. However the attachment doesn’t fit the tap on the t6.1. I emailed the guy and they ‘might’ make a t6.1 version depending upon demand. So I suggest you email him and ask. You can also fit the default option retrospectively and there are guides in this forum. So you get it without the expensive lighting package. But you have to start cutting wholes in the van yourself...

It can be added yourself with the original fittings, some
people have added it.
T joint into the water pipe, drill a hole and wire it to the pump and thats
about it.

With my first van I really wanted the shower to wash bikes after muddy rides. Now on the 2nd van I have one, but in reality I’ve used it once.

I found that it drains the water tank quickly (washed two bikes) and it’s more hassle than it’s worth. Easier to sort the bikes properly once home.
Might be more useful for muddy paws with dogs etc.

Yes I think the Decathlon option looks good but I will ask the guy if he is making an option for the tap on the 6.1 ... really helpful thanks

Get this hozelock connector and you can use any pipe with this hozelock attachment to the kitchen tap and out of the side window

6b1727e863048d8a940ebd35b2b118c3.jpg

Magic then Garden hose then add

I own the hozelock connector that @kurienp suggests and I can confirm it works very well. Have tried 2 other, similair products but they didn't work (water dripping down the side or the whole thing coming off the tap when used).

I use the shower. Great after being on the beach to wash feet, the dog and rinse salt from my scuba gear. Also useful at festivals

The little Decathlon pressure shower looks interesting ... any feedback on usefulness ?

We got a Colapz usb shower, which takes water from a bucket. So if you boil the kettle you can make it hot water. It comes with a selection of heads. I've used it a few times for a quick shower in the awning (standing in something to catch the water).

Thanks Tom

We carry a Kampa geyser water heater and a pop up shower tent - plugs into the 12v plus a gas bottle and hey presto instant hot water on tap

So during the hot weather we had in summer the shower was a godsend camping
Back to the van roasting hot after a good walk
Plugged it in and it came into its own ice cold blast in 30 degree heat was bliss.
£300 option ish from memory?
Not £1000 as in a previous post
I would spec it every time...
in winter it’s perfect for muddy boots bikes and the dog ...
in summer it’s good for a cool down.camping is so much better with it.(my opinion)

Thanks Tom

Got the Decathlon shower a month ago and have used it on a couple of recent trips to Wales. Really great bit of kit, combined with the pop up shower tent has been a great solution. If the sun hasnt warmed the water enough, just top up with hot water from the kettle.

I retrofitted the factory shower arrangement myself. I got it from Spain. Exactly the same parts and layout. If your reasonably handy its not that difficult. I bought the van from new but just didnt want to pay for all the junk (imo) that comes with the shower option. I use it for the dogs mainly and its usefulness is so ok but my least used option.

GeVBZ6xYQxqLJgcQY8qlDg.jpg76TAUxXfRrW1%bikcZh1vg.jpg2DnMtondRNirSBQ+oNfAqw.jpgjH4eCgLdSYq7OkmZN4yd0Q.jpg

Also did this little mod. Blanked the inner ring of nozzles which both improves the back pressure so spray and reduces water consumption. Its the disc out of a phillips shaver fits perfect into the head. Recommend this to those with the shower fitted
Rlkec+UcRaqFZcLEv9aj0w.jpg

I use mine loads for rinsing off wetsuits, dogs feet and kids sandy feet. Only body shower in the height of summer though

So during the hot weather we had in summer the shower was a godsend camping
Back to the van roasting hot after a good walk
Plugged it in and it came into its own ice cold blast in 30 degree heat was bliss.
£300 option ish from memory?
Not £1000 as in a previous post
I would spec it every time...
in winter it’s perfect for muddy boots bikes and the dog ...
in summer it’s good for a cool down.camping is so much better with it.(my opinion)
Told by the team in Sheffield that although the shower is £300 ish on the Coast I would need some other extra with it ...so it is effectively £1000

We have tried 4 portable showers in the last three years with the van. We wanted a shower for wild camping that you can take away from the van if near a busy road or carpark. One that also covers no facilities sites/festivals using our toilet tent. One we can fill and use when needed so we do not need to use the on board water. We are currently on number 4. Our experience so far has been.

1. 20 litre black plastic bag shower. Good - was cheap. Bad - Suggested leaving on the dash to warm the water. I never trusted it not to deposit 20 litres into the dash! Difficult to get onto roof for shower, then would fall off during use. Sprang leak after few uses.

2. Decathlon 8 litre pump up shower. Good - Water lasts well, not bad pressure, doesn't take too much space when empty. Bad - Sprang a leak after 8 months, canvas not too durable. When full in van had to put in a bucket as worried about leaks, also it would fall over when driving unless well pressurised.

3. Chinese foot operated canvas shower from Amazon. Good - foot operation allows increase in pressure when showering. Bad - Used once, then the foot pump broke.

4. Hozelock 7 litre shower. Good - Seems durable, easy to tie upright in van when full. Spray not bad. Bad - Bit bulkier then empty versions of all the above.

Hopefully the Hozelock one is a keeper...

We use the black plastic bag thing (Lidl or Aldi some years ago) to warm the water, then put it in a bucket to use with the Colapz shower.

VW shower set in California accessories brochure £97
VW shower tent (tailgate fixings) £395

40FF5CF7-DB47-43EE-8693-DFB97FC348D3.png

Back