Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Opening Tailgate from Inside...

Skewif

Skewif

It’s not what you have, it's where you wake up.
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
As the latching mechanism is motor driven and the outside handle is just a switch I'd like to install a button so the door can be opened from inside. I can just imagine how nice it would be to wake up in a beautiful place and be able to push open the door without even getting out of bed.

Please has anyone removed the inside door card / chair carrier and is there anything I should be watchful for when doing so?

As the latching mechanism is motor driven and the outside handle is just a switch I'd like to install a button so the door can be opened from inside. I can just imagine how nice it would be to wake up in a beautiful place and be able to push open the door without even getting out of bed.

Please has anyone removed the inside door card / chair carrier and is there anything I should be watchful for when doing so?
I’m not sure where you got the idea from that the Outside Handle just operates a switch. It is a mechanical action and the Final Closure is done by an electric motor activated by a micro switch in the Tailgate locking mechanism.

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_singl...827/subcategory/827030/part_id/3688993/lang/e

Tailgate Trim Removal

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_singl...867/subcategory/867080/part_id/3723613/lang/e

I’m not sure where you got the idea from that the Outside Handle just operates a switch. It is a mechanical action and the Final Closure is done by an electric motor activated by a micro switch in the Tailgate locking mechanism.

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_singl...827/subcategory/827030/part_id/3688993/lang/e

Tailgate Trim Removal

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_singl...867/subcategory/867080/part_id/3723613/lang/e
Many thanks for the link but the diagram is unfortunately not the one for the Cali tailgate. Having now had a look inside the tailgate it is indeed a motor driven latch release actuator. The outside handle does appear to just operate a switch that triggers the latch actuator when opening. There must indeed be another switch in the latch to trigger the power close. There is no linkage from handle to latch. Simple experiment is to open boot, use a pen or finger to close the latch on tailgate then pull handle. You will hear the actuator motor operate inside the door.

Stripping the card off is a little bit more involved than I thought so as it's cold and I don't have the right switch for mounting inside, I'll do it another day. Will take some pics and post.

Last edited:
@Skewif , i did a research on how to open the booth after reading on the forum someone was unable to open from the outside .
There is a thread somewhere on the forum on how i did this .
Try and look it up , i am current on the ferry leaving Dover and don't know how long i'l be connected to internet at theis time.

@Skewif , i did a research on how to open the booth after reading on the forum someone was unable to open from the outside .
There is a thread somewhere on the forum on how i did this .
Try and look it up , i am current on the ferry leaving Dover and don't know how long i'l be connected to internet at theis time.
Thank you. Yes I remember seeing it too. I also did search. Off somewhere nice?

Many thanks for the link but the diagram is unfortunately not the one for the Cali tailgate. Having now had a look inside the tailgate it is indeed a motor driven latch release actuator. The outside handle does appear to just operate a switch that triggers the latch actuator when opening. There must indeed be another switch in the latch to trigger the power close. There is no linkage from handle to latch. Simple experiment is to open boot, use a pen or finger to close the latch on tailgate then pull handle. You will hear the actuator motor operate inside the door.

Stripping the card off is a little bit more involved than I thought so as it's cold and I don't have the right switch for mounting inside, I'll do it another day. Will take some pics and post.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/open-rear-door-from-the-inside.7246/

This owner fitted a mechanical release. No mention of a switch which would have been easier.

Sorry didn’t see your thread. Glad your trip went well and hope the journey back was easy for you all. One day may out paths cross so your beautiful Mieke gets to meet my best friend Bosley. CF48981C-2D02-4849-AFA2-7E55E0CD311A.jpeg

Is this what you want?

full

I guess the design of a California rear lid fitments may preclude this version but there may be another that is compatible.

It may be worth asking 'Pauly' on the T6 Forum (https://www.t6forum.com/) if he knows of a wiring loom and parts to fit this in your van as he is the guru on such things.

Rod

Is this what you want?

full

I guess the design of a California rear lid fitments may preclude this version but there may be another that is compatible.

It may be worth asking 'Pauly' on the T6 Forum (https://www.t6forum.com/) if he knows of a wiring loom and parts to fit this in your van as he is the guru on such things.

Rod
Thanks Rod. Yes I want that button, would be perfect! I was thinking I need a button that can't be accidentally pushed and that one looks like it lifts so bingo. So long as that switch is not too deep I could easily adapt it to fit the door card. Is that on a T6?

Yes, that is original VW fitment on a Highline '66' plate T6. 'Pauly' is your man on the T6 Forum for parts info.

Rod

Great. Thank you so much, I'll join and give him a shout.

23bd90579ed5a91c80294de41a07878d.jpg

Sorry in advance if this is a dumb suggestion but what about using the boot lid opening button on the remote and giving the tailgate a shove from your bed... or does it not work like that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

23bd90579ed5a91c80294de41a07878d.jpg

Sorry in advance if this is a dumb suggestion but what about using the boot lid opening button on the remote and giving the tailgate a shove from your bed... or does it not work like that?

Boy would I have felt silly if it did work like that. Had to go out and check. Unfortunately it only unlocks the tailgate for one opening then relocks. It doesn’t actually release it.

Note to self.. once switch fitted, never use that fob button and exit via the tailgate as would be locked out if I shut it.

Boy would I have felt silly if it did work like that. Had to go out and check. Unfortunately it only unlocks the tailgate for one opening then relocks. It doesn’t actually release it.

Note to self.. once switch fitted, never use that fob button and exit via the tailgate as would be locked out it I shut it.
So if the Fob button " Unlocks " the tailgate electronically is there still a mechanical component to open the tailgate as in the other doors where you have to pull the internal lever as well?

So if the Fob button " Unlocks " the tailgate electronically is there still a mechanical component to open the tailgate as in the other doors where you have to pull the internal lever as well?
No. Once button fitted... Just use fob to unlock then press button to release boot. Inside button does exactly the same as outside handle which is only a button / switch. Only thing mechanical in boot door is the electric actuator, latch and the spring loaded outside handle that operates a switch.

There are others who have successfully fitted a button to open tailgate from the inside. Does anyone want to see a step by step guide on how to do it?

Note to self.. once switch fitted, never use that fob button and exit via the tailgate as would be locked out if I shut it.

Doh! Sorry.

Hi,

This probably sounds a strange question, but i have fitted a California T5.1 tailgate to my once barndoor T5 and am wondering how California owners can open the tailgate door from inside when it has the seat panel fitted?

Many thanks

They don't ....
Or after modification as given in this post but not sur if anyone actally done it.

Hi,

This probably sounds a strange question, but i have fitted a California T5.1 tailgate to my once barndoor T5 and am wondering how California owners can open the tailgate door from inside when it has the seat panel fitted?

Many thanks
Fitting a momentary switch and connecting it to the outside handle switch wiring is all you need to do. Others have done it and there is plenty of suitable space to fit a switch on inside door card / chair holder. I’ll post how I did mine when I get round to it.
Seems the switch In the picture above only comes in black so going to fit a discreet button in door card behind wardrobe so out of sight but easy to get to from the bed.

Forgive my curiosity, but I'm just wondering why you want to open the tailgate from inside?

Forgive my curiosity, but I'm just wondering why you want to open the tailgate from inside?
I sleep downstairs and want to be able to open the door without getting out of bed. Maybe I’m lazy but I love the idea of just pushing it open and taking in the air and the view.

Back