Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Opening the tailgate with bikes on the VW rack

IanE

IanE

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We do this, having been advised by Preston Van Centre that its ok to do so and that no damage is caused to the gas struts etc. Obviously you do have to help the tailgate up to its fully elevated position. It does stay in position once there. We don't have the bikes on that often and I can say that the tailgate continues to operate effectively when the bikes are off. I had it checked out by VW at its last service.

I'm still a bit nervous about it though!

I just wondered what others do?

Cheers

Ian

I have a Fiamma box on my rack and when full is the max weight for it and have had no problems. But the temperature on the day affects the gas in the struts, so one day it will stay up and another day with the same weight it wont. Its quite a bonk when it hits your head. Hope this helps. Paul.

Thanks Paul - it's reassuring to know others do it - and yes I've bonked my head!

Mine seems fine, and I regularly have bikes on the rack!

Its no problem lifting the tailgate up with the bikes on but don't do it with the roof up. There is a good chance your bars will scratch the roof

Good point Bibs - I've nearly come to,grief doing that

4 bikes loaded ready for next trip abroad an early start tomorrow, i struggle to lift the tail gate with them all on....

There's definitely a knack to it - and we've just bought an electric (read heavy) bike!

I find opening the back with bikes on is much easier with 2 people. I get one of the kids to release the door handle and then I lift the rack rather than the door. It is much easier on my back :)
- Nick

I am interested about this. The door came slamming down on mr h, with 2 bikes on. Luckily no injuries or damage. However, the very same Vw centre at Preston told us that the door would not hold on the struts ! I guess I will have to ask again. Thanks for the info

Back