Operation lightbar fitting

Californication69

Californication69

Bill
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Wanted to create a thread to help others on how best to fit a lightbar to a T6.1
Just starting on the project.
If others have ideas, please add.
I’m going for brackets on the side awning with security bolts, with a either a light bar or two Lazerlamp triple R 1250’s Smartview (the latter my favourite as has many options when on and when switching off, like 5 second dim, so your eyes adjust. )
Might have to buy the wife a CG coat to offset ;)

Lazer lamps sell the kit to attach two triple R 1250’s Smartview together so you have 1 x 42” light bar.

Wanted to create a thread to help others on how best to fit a lightbar to a T6.1
I’m going for brackets on the side awning with security bolts, with a either a light bar or two Lazerlamp triple R 1250’s Smartview (the latter my favourite as has many options when on and when switching off, like 5 second dim, so your eyes adjust. )

Lazer lamps sell the kit to attach two triple R 1250’s Smartview together so you have 1 x 42” light bar.
How much light do you require? These are Auxilliary Driving lights and your fitting them on the awning for camping illumination?
A normal Halogen headlight is 1300 lumens, a LED headlight 6 to 8,000 lumens and one of these is 12,170 lumens according to the company.

I want all the light @WelshGas
All Of It !!!! :cool: :D:D:D

I should be clearer with my words, I will put two brackets on, one in the left and one right.
and have the lights just above the top of the windscreen. In front of the Aerial block.
So it shines forward

I should be clearer with my words, I will put two brackets on, one in the left and one right.
and have the lights just above the top of the windscreen. In front of the Aerial block.
So it shines forward
Are you fitting a light bar for additional driving lights or on the awning to illuminate the camp site and melt children that attempt to recover their ball from under your van? ;)

So it shines forward
Ahh, I see. If it was for camping lighting then I thought it would be a little OTT. Most people use fairy lights or a lantern.

So it shines forward
I do hope the switch will have some kind of zombie apocalypse symbol on it!

On a separate thought. Some people get concerned about adding height to their van, as it limits where they can park as the California is designed to be below 2m in height which some parking barriers enforce. Is this a factor for you?

Thanks @California4x4
All of the airports & local car parks are 2.2m.
I’ve measured with the Low Thule roof bars attached and the XL BF AT 02’s on, and I’ve got 2080mm.
I’ve seen a few places that I wouldn’t park in and they say 2.0m so I wouldn’t even try with the K02’s on. The lightbar‘s are around 103mm
So if they are just above the top window rubber, then I’ll still be at 2080mm
And I’m loving the Zombie Apocalypse switch idea !
Maybe some type of Mad Max Mini Skull type of switch. Where I stick two switch’s in the two eye sockets !!
o_O:D

ive considered putting two light bars in the front grille - it looks like a simple install - i was surprised to see you could just tag them on with the high beam lights - and a separate switch is not required ?. Its my headlights that are poor not the high beam

ive considered putting two light bars in the front grille - it looks like a simple install - i was surprised to see you could just tag them on with the high beam lights - and a separate switch is not required ?. Its my headlights that are poor not the high beam
Not clear, are you saying you want to increase high beam or dipped lights? If the additional lights are not switched I would expect them to prove a potential problem when MOT’d

Auxilliary Driving lights can only be used/switched on with high beam.
Do you have the standard H4 headlights or the upgraded H7?

Last edited:
I didn't think roof mounted lights were legal for on road use at all.
Was certainly the case when I bought a new Lara Croft Edition Landrover Defender, it came with a roof rack with 4 lights fitted but Landrover were not allowed to actually wire them up.

If your T6.1 LED headlights are not bright enough, I would suggest you check you haven't still got your sunnies on, or that you've actually turned on the headlights & are not just on the daytime running lights.

You’re correct, the dipped beam is the issue, it’s half as bright as my 330e lights.
It’s going in, in December for a UK plug install in Kitchen, I’ll ask them to check the dipped beam....
The operation lightbar is just me wanting a lightbar:)

Auxilliary Driving lights can only be used/switched on with high beam.
Do you have the standard H4 headlights or the upgraded H7?
LED headlights, but they are not as bright as my 330e dipped beam, those were super bright LED’s dipped beam.

I didn't think roof mounted lights were legal for on road use at all.
Was certainly the case when I bought a new Lara Croft Edition Landrover Defender, it came with a roof rack with 4 lights fitted but Landrover were not allowed to actually wire them up.

If your T6.1 LED headlights are not bright enough, I would suggest you check you haven't still got your sunnies on, or that you've actually turned on the headlights & are not just on the daytime running lights.
Understand, I wouldnt be using the lightbar for road use. Off road use only. And on a separate switch.
I’ve moved the switch to off and the DRL’s are brighter than the dipped beam.
Well not really, but the DRL’s hurt my eyes, were as the main dipped beam dosen’t.
I’ll ask VWC to check them out.

Hi,

My van is a pre face lift, i fitted these in the bumper. Surprisingly bright...

Alistair
6fbbf8a26c29ed073993a06e3a06f1ec.jpg

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Hi,

Alistair

Nice, what do you run them as ? Fog or maIn beam or ?
Link to where you can purchase ?

Hi,

I got them from hrre, i think they are flood rather than spot...

Also got the wiring harness. About £30 or less Inc the harness..

Alistair

Hi,

Alistair

On a slightly separate note, what size BFGs and weight rating have you gone for please? I'm just about to go down that road.
Cheers,

On a slightly separate note, what size BFGs and weight rating have you gone for please? I'm just about to go down that road.
Cheers,
No Problem, if you have or know somebody who has Blue Light card.
You get some money off.
I got the lifetime warranty on them.
so any punctures, damage or anything , they replace the tyre up to 3mm
They come with 14mm tread.
Also they will put you up in hotel in Europe for 3 days while they source and fit a tyre.
My mph is perfect now compared with Waze sat nav.
cheapest and filled with nitro.
Also free swap from front to back twice a year.
And free monthly top up with nitro and pressure check.
74DD57C4-CFCD-4534-9717-78E9211AA537.jpeg

Cheers,
Hi

I have BF Goodrich All Terrain K02 tyres in 235 70 16 size on stock satin matt black steelies and stock suspension.

They are 104/101S rated, depending on single or dual wheel axle, obviously, a T5 is a wheel each side, so 104 for ours.

My van is a T30 LWB 2.5 130 and weighs around 2750 kgs..

Max axle weights for a T30 LWB T5 are:

Front 1575kg
Rear 1625kg

T32 is :

Front 1650kg
Rear 1720kg

Tyre load numbers:

101 = 825kg
102 = 850kg
103 = 875kg
104 =900kg

So, max rear axle for example 1625÷2=812kg, the BFG are 104, so are in excess of the max axle weight.

They would also be fine for a T32.. As always, check your own sums, and inform your insurance broker...

Hope that helps..

Alistair
987b0955c8bbc98759451b27bdb7c17d.jpg
b9df5c822eccebf1f6cbb1f5e23a21be.jpg

Hi

I have BF Goodrich All Terrain K02 tyres in 235 70 16 size on stock satin matt black steelies and stock suspension.

They are 104/101S rated, depending on single or dual wheel axle, obviously, a T5 is a wheel each side, so 104 for ours.

My van is a T30 LWB 2.5 130 and weighs around 2750 kgs..

Max axle weights for a T30 LWB T5 are:

Front 1575kg
Rear 1625kg

T32 is :

Front 1650kg
Rear 1720kg

Tyre load numbers:

101 = 825kg
102 = 850kg
103 = 875kg
104 =900kg

So, max rear axle for example 1625÷2=812kg, the BFG are 104, so are in excess of the max axle weight.

They would also be fine for a T32.. As always, check your own sums, and inform your insurance broker...

Hope that helps..

Alistair
987b0955c8bbc98759451b27bdb7c17d.jpg
b9df5c822eccebf1f6cbb1f5e23a21be.jpg

Thanks Alistair,

Lots of information and very helpful, mines a T32 and I have decided on 215 65 16 103 as this is the standard size of tyres already fitted.
I'll let you know how I get on....

I do hope the switch will have some kind of zombie apocalypse symbol on it!

On a separate thought. Some people get concerned about adding height to their van, as it limits where they can park as the California is designed to be below 2m in height which some parking barriers enforce. Is this a factor for you?
Just for you @California4x4
I found the perfect switch !!

what do you think ?

8B5DE1BD-F44F-438B-94E8-D2C14F2A6667.jpeg

47CD8B5E-7DFB-4C76-95E8-86408B4ACAA8.jpeg

So glad I've found this thread. Did you get these fitted ? What was the total rough cost ?

Back