Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Opinions on Dulverton Exmoor House Club Campsite for first trip

18ME

18ME

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Just looking at planning our first ever 3 day trip in a rental Cali Ocean and complete newbies. I’ve asked other friends and family who have caravans and one place in the rough area we were thinking of going is in Dulverton at the Exmoor House Club Campsite. Has anyone been there before in their Cali and can recommend it?

I was thinking of booking on 3 different campsites over the 3 days in June and would probably head towards the coast after there.

Just looking at planning our first ever 3 day trip in a rental Cali Ocean and complete newbies. I’ve asked other friends and family who have caravans and one place in the rough area we were thinking of going is in Dulverton at the Exmoor House Club Campsite. Has anyone been there before in their Cali and can recommend it?

I was thinking of booking on 3 different campsites over the 3 days in June and would probably head towards the coast after there.
Very nice site, good clean facilities. Great location for walking and MTB routes. Small town with everything you need.

Our favorite site - great facilities, get a pitch backing onto the river for the best nights sleep ever.
Do not miss out on an evening meal at Woods restaurant.

Great site, been there twice. Nice river walk from site, lovely little town with shops and eating places. Woods is good, so is the Thai restaurant - best we’ve experienced. Only place I’d avoid for food is the St Austell pub closest to the site. There’s even a community hall where they have events on and current film showings.

Thanks so much for all your feedback. Think I’ll definitely book this place for our first site and look at the next two by the coast.

As I’ve never done this before I’ve got some probably daft questions;

Surprised that the site charge per person rather than vehicle or size of vehicle.

The pitch types are hard standing with or without awning with EHU, I’m guessing you book with awning as the Cali has one built in and assuming EHU means electric hook up? The other pitch type adds drinking water and drainage (grey) is this just for motor homes and caravans?

On the subject of water, do you just fill up the Cali at home using a hose pipe for the sink or do you use drinking water from the kitchen sink at home or do you not travel with all that water to save on weight and fuel cost and only fill up with water from the site using either a hose pipe or water containers? Sorry I have absolutely no idea ‍♂️

Thanks so much for all your feedback. Think I’ll definitely book this place for our first site and look at the next two by the coast.

Surprised that the site charge per person rather than vehicle or size of vehicle.

The pitch types are hard standing with or without awning with EHU, I’m guessing you book with awning as the Cali has one built in and assuming EHU means electric hook up? The other pitch type adds drinking water and drainage (grey) is this just for motor homes and caravans?

On the subject of water, do you just fill up the Cali at home using a hose pipe for the sink or do you use drinking water from the kitchen sink at home or do you not travel with all that water to save on weight and fuel cost and only fill up with water from the site using either a hose pipe or water containers? Sorry I have absolutely no idea ‍♂️
Sites have different charging models. They all end up around the same price.

Book depending the weather. If it’s going to rain, get hardstanding. If not, grass is fine, nice underfoot and cheaper.

Awning is more for big old Caravan side awnings/tents - no extra charge for our little wind out ones. You will find it generally just gives you more room at the side on the pitch.

EHU. Yes. If you want a 3 pin, get EHU. If not, you will be fine for 3 days without.

Drink and drain is more for caravans. Most sites have a fresh tap water anyway. Usually on the back of the EHU point.

Water fill - up to you. If you fill on site, take a blue food grade pipe and be careful of others pipes and connections. If you fill at home, use the same - NOT a garden hose pipe. We travel with a 10L collapsable container we got on Amazon. A lot easier for us, we rarely fill the water tank or use. We probably would if static for more than a couple of days.

Last edited:

Hi, I’d echo most of what @dspuk says above. If you get a driveway awning then book “with awning”. Not needed for the wind out type. However, some sites have fewer “without” pitches than “with” (example Caravan Club and larger touring sites). So if you want more choice consider this. We’ve just toured Scotland, without an awning, but booked “with awning” on some sites. It also gives you more space between you and your neighbours.

Regards water, we’ve always filled the vans water tank as it’s built in, and very convenient. As @dspuk says, just take a bit of care how you fill it. We’ve a long blue hose and a 10 litre container (need a funnel or length of suitable hose - careful not to drop it in the tank). There are threads on keeping your water tank clean and sanitised for drinking, but no big deal. The weight of 30 litres of water adds only 1% of weight on a 2.5 tonne van, so meaningless. We’ve also got a 7m flat blue hose plus fittings so we can top up on sites (they mostly have the push fit plastic garden type connectors ).

I’d recommend you do a trial run for maybe 2 nights, and it’ll all fall into place - learn by doing!

Thanks again for your advise, especially regarding the water. I hadn't considered the water tank for drinking the water, just for washing up or using the shower accessory if it has one for washing boots or feet off. I shall have a read through some threads regarding the water. I have asked the rental company if we can go and view one of their campers before the rental in June, so that we can ask all these sorts of questions and physically see how things work etc. Thought it would save quite a bit of time when I collect the Cali.

Probably another daft question but if you don't have an electric hook up can you still use the 3 pin sockets in the van? I know my other half would have a panic attack if she couldn't straighten her hair in the morning ;)

Without hookup you don't have 240v un the van. So no hair straighteners. But you can buy 12vc or USB rechargeable ones now.
I fill the van up at home using a hose pipe. Carry one in the van for refilling. You save very little fuel worrying about the weight of 30 litres of water. It's easier at home.
I actually use my shower regularly to actually shower. You have to be brave though.
I have been also drinking water out of the van tap now for years and still alive. I like to take those squirty flavourings to make dilute pop on those mornings after the night before.
Enjoy your trip.

We have used that site a couple of times a few days there and a few days at the coast on the Minehead site works well for us.

Thanks again for your advise, especially regarding the water. I hadn't considered the water tank for drinking the water, just for washing up or using the shower accessory if it has one for washing boots or feet off. I shall have a read through some threads regarding the water. I have asked the rental company if we can go and view one of their campers before the rental in June, so that we can ask all these sorts of questions and physically see how things work etc. Thought it would save quite a bit of time when I collect the Cali.

Probably another daft question but if you don't have an electric hook up can you still use the 3 pin sockets in the van? I know my other half would have a panic attack if she couldn't straighten her hair in the morning ;)
I’d get them to demo how to use the wind out awning. It’s “easy when you know how”, and also raising and lowering the roof - again easy to do but also easy to get wrong (expensive). If your bored anytime there are good videos on YouTube channels CaliforniaChis and CaliforniaTime.

“EHU. Yes. If you want a 3 pin, get EHU. If not, you will be fine for 3 days without.”

I’d get them to demo how to use the wind out awning. It’s “easy when you know how”, and also raising and lowering the roof - again easy to do but also easy to get wrong (expensive). If your bored anytime there are good videos on YouTube channels CaliforniaChis and CaliforniaTime.
Good call, thanks.

I’ve already watched quite a few videos from the couple of California Time, very infornative.

Can anyone recommend anywhere that’s good to eat local to the site as Woods is closed Sundays and Mondays, we’re staying Monday night.

Tongdam Thai, open on Mondays. Brilliant ! Small place, so best to book.

Tongdam Thai, open on Mondays. Brilliant ! Small place, so best to book.
Not normally a Thai food lover but had a look at the menu and there are quite a few dishes that I’d like. My other half is not as fussy as me and does like Thai so may book there as a short walk back to the campsite.

The Bridge Inn does great food too - I would advise booking.
…..and staggering distance to the campsite.

Not normally a Thai food lover but had a look at the menu and there are quite a few dishes that I’d like. My other half is not as fussy as me and does like Thai so may book there as a short walk back to the campsite.
If you go, tell the owner it’s a recommendation from the 2 Geordies that kept him chatting till midnight last May, and put a bit of a dint in his brandy bottle !

If you go, tell the owner it’s a recommendation from the 2 Geordies that kept him chatting till midnight last May, and put a bit of a dint in his brandy bottle !
If I meet him I’ll mention it, maybe he also likes rum ;)

Is that the St Austell pub not recommended by @Hawthorn37 ?

I did look on their website and looks like they had an ownership change so maybe things changed.
Had a few drinks there on our two visits, but swerved the food - it didn’t look great. Typical pub meals. But that was during the past two years when everyone has been struggling in hospitality. It might have changed.

I’m still looking at other sites fairly close by but nearer the coast and looking on the search for sites app. There are a lot of different motorhome, caravan and touring site clubs and associations, would any one be any better than another? I’m not sure what to look for.

2 main touring clubs in the UK, Camping and Caravanning Club, and Caravan and Motorhome Club. The former gets more tents, and the latter more caravans and motorhomes, as the names suggest. You tend to get a few more Cali’s on the CCC sites. The pitch set ups and facilities are very similar, and to a similar reliable standard - never 5* but steady 3*/4*, and almost never 1*. There are small differences in booking / selecting pitches, with CAMC it’s first come first served (so a 1o’clock scramble), where CCC are allocated pitches and while you can’t say which one you want, you can ask for 2 units travelling together to pitch together (like 2 vans, or a van and a tent. If you have a disability you can request to be close to the facilities with both clubs. CCC markets itself as “The Friendly Club” and to be honest there’s an element of truth there, from our experience.

Both the main clubs have Certified Locations and Affiliated Sites, which are privately owned and run, but you can book through the club, or get a rate discount. Then there’s the fully private sites, which can range from basic backpacker sites and sites without facilities, through ones with 5* facilities. Finally there‘s a growing number of stopover locations based around pubs, which tend to offer limited facilities, but at a low nightly cost if you also use the pub for drinks and /or food.

I‘d recommend anyone new to camping to try one of the main club sites, and also try a couple of private ones to see which style of camping suits you.

2 main touring clubs in the UK, Camping and Caravanning Club, and Caravan and Motorhome Club. The former gets more tents, and the latter more caravans and motorhomes, as the names suggest. You tend to get a few more Cali’s on the CCC sites. The pitch set ups and facilities are very similar, and to a similar reliable standard - never 5* but steady 3*/4*, and almost never 1*. There are small differences in booking / selecting pitches, with CAMC it’s first come first served (so a 1o’clock scramble), where CCC are allocated pitches and while you can’t say which one you want, you can ask for 2 units travelling together to pitch together (like 2 vans, or a van and a tent. If you have a disability you can request to be close to the facilities with both clubs. CCC markets itself as “The Friendly Club” and to be honest there’s an element of truth there, from our experience.

Both the main clubs have Certified Locations and Affiliated Sites, which are privately owned and run, but you can book through the club, or get a rate discount. Then there’s the fully private sites, which can range from basic backpacker sites and sites without facilities, through ones with 5* facilities. Finally there‘s a growing number of stopover locations based around pubs, which tend to offer limited facilities, but at a low nightly cost if you also use the pub for drinks and /or food.

I‘d recommend anyone new to camping to try one of the main club sites, and also try a couple of private ones to see which style of camping suits you.

Thank you so much for explaining the different sites, that's very helpful.:thumb