Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Opinions Required...

Ray W

Ray W

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
We have just returned from our first outing in out 2018 Cali Ocean. We spent 10 days wild and site camping in Scotland. Fantastic time had by all weather varied from pretty dull to beautiful. One wild camp on the Kyle of Tongue particularly stood out. Photograph attached. However we have noticed that with all the rain its left marks on the seats. Now we paid the thick end of 48k, but could not stretch to the "ScotchGuard" stuff for the outside and inside of the van and they would'nt split it was all or nothing and frankly we could no afford it. We are the second owners it being an ex demonstrator. However the marks on the seats are purely from drops of rain either as it blew in or as it dropped off a coat. Is this usual ? Any thoughts gratefully received.

E6rzPLdQTF6y0KkLTYJKlA.jpg

35%FxQXgQqO2ge7r68uSFQ.jpg

bquGa2n8Rvaem2hU6PMtuw.jpg

CaIbLOp3SNmGnmvWh5i9sw.jpg

We have just returned from our first outing in out 2018 Cali Ocean. We spent 10 days wild and site camping in Scotland. Fantastic time had by all weather varied from pretty dull to beautiful. One wild camp on the Kyle of Tongue particularly stood out. Photograph attached. However we have noticed that with all the rain its left marks on the seats. Now we paid the thick end of 48k, but could not stretch to the "ScotchGuard" stuff for the outside and inside of the van and they would'nt split it was all or nothing and frankly we could no afford it. We are the second owners it being an ex demonstrator. However the marks on the seats are purely from drops of rain either as it blew in or as it dropped off a coat. Is this usual ? Any thoughts gratefully received.

View attachment 47352

View attachment 47353

View attachment 47354

View attachment 47355
Common. I use Autoglym Interior Shampoo. I'm sure others might do. Spray on lightly. Damp microfibre cloth and rub/dampen whole panel. It will come up perfect.
Just make sure the whole panel is dampened otherwise you get a new mark.
The same would have happened with Scotchguard.

Seat covers from new, easy to say now and should not have to on as you say a 48k camper. IMHO and others I would have thought the interior fabric on Calis are not fit for purpose.

Common. I use Autoglym Interior Shampoo. I'm sure others might do. Spray on lightly. Damp microfibre cloth and rub/dampen whole panel. It will come up perfect.
Just make sure the whole panel is dampened otherwise you get a new mark.
The same would have happened with Scotchguard.
Thank you.

Seat covers from new, easy to say now and should not have to on as you say a 48k camper. IMHO and others I would have thought the interior fabric on Calis are not fit for purpose.
Rubbish. I’ve not yet come across any automotive fabric upholstery that doesn’t get marked. The ability to clean it easily is what counts. I’m not a fan of leather or equivalent, cold in winter and sticky if not downright painful in high temperatures and as far as waterproof covers, well I don’t have them at home and certainly not going to have them in my home on wheels.
After almost 5 years of continuous all year use the upholstery is as it was at delivery. In fact I was recently asked if I had just taken covers off when giving some friends a lift.

Rubbish. I’ve not yet come across any automotive fabric upholstery that doesn’t get marked. The ability to clean it easily is what counts. I’m not a fan of leather or equivalent, cold in winter and sticky if not downright painful in high temperatures and as far as waterproof covers, well I don’t have them at home and certainly not going to have them in my home on wheels.
After almost 5 years of continuous all year use the upholstery is as it was at delivery. In fact I was recently asked if I had just taken covers off when giving some friends a lift.
Sorry dude I cant concur I should have said the fabric is too light. The door cards are the worst for showing water marks when the doors open in the rain. I will stick to seat covers from new but we all have our own ways and opinions :thumb

Gently dampen the seat evenly with a foam upholstery cleaner wipe off with a damp sponge and leave to dry, vacuum off and they’ll be as good as new.

Sorry dude I cant concur I should have said the fabric is too light. The door cards are the worst for showing water marks when the doors open in the rain. I will stick to seat covers from new but we all have our own ways and opinions :thumb
Funny, my door cards never show any water marks.

Autoglym shampoo is very good at removing marks. Looking st the colour of your seats it may be an idea to have them properly steam cleaned, then get some seat covers

Autoglym shampoo is very good at removing marks. Looking st the colour of your seats it may be an idea to have them properly steam cleaned, then get some seat covers
Yes I agree only had the van 8 weeks and they looked a bit grubby when we got them, just surprisd at the rain, but thank you for the advice. New seat covers in the pipe line once money comes into the bank.

It is all character building for your van. In a few years time you will be able to name and date every mark and stain: "Glencoe '19; Seathwaite '21; Pen-y-Pass '22; Tesco Havant '23", etc. It is what gives your van its personality and why you will love it. One of our posh leather dining seats at home has a delightful boy's twin buttock puddle mark; it identifies itself from the others which I cannot (yet) tell apart.

Invest in decent seat covers if you worry about stains .
Brandrup sells covers with the exact matching California fabric , you don't notice they are covers , perfect fit ...expencive doh!

Get a vax, they’re actually pretty cheap. I borrowed one, cleaned my 12 year old Saab seats which were water stained and they came up extremely well, using the upholstery wand thing. Used ‘rug doctor’ detergent on it as it’s what the lender of the Vax had and gave me to use and it seemed ok for 12 year old car, no issues but I was less bothered than using on a new van. For you I’d probably use Autoglym interior shampoo or similar. I’ve used that on my Golf and it’s a very good cleaner. Don’t like the smell when it goes on, but seemed to disappear overnight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve frequently seen alarming water marks on that fabric but it has always dried without leaving any staining. My guess is, as you said the upholstery was grubby, the water has slightly dissolved/cleaned the grime locally and left those marks. Hopefully the marks will go if you use a good upholstery shampoo. My thinking also is that you would have wasted your money putting scotch guard on grubby fabric. Being the sceptical type, I think that these products are just a way of the dealer squeezing a bit money money out of the punter, but that is just a personal opinion and I may be doing them a disservice. :D

I’ve frequently seen alarming water marks on that fabric but it has always dried without leaving any staining. My guess is, as you said the upholstery was grubby, the water has slightly dissolved/cleaned the grime locally and left those marks. Hopefully the marks will go if you use a good upholstery shampoo. My thinking also is that you would have wasted your money putting scotch guard on grubby fabric. Being the sceptical type, I think that these products are just a way of the dealer squeezing a bit money money out of the punter, but that is just a personal opinion and I may be doing them a disservice. :D
Your not.:thumb

My seat covers, on from new, like the ones from the club shop, faux leather at the sides and alcantara where you sit...they look like new still after four years, never been cleaned....just wiped, and they don’t sweat in summer...just had 40 degrees in France.

Dear all,
Thank you for all your help and expertise.

We have found the ‘basc’ Halfords Upholstery Cleaner’ (link below) at £4 per bottle is excellent. Bought some used cloth seat covers for a new Ocean and used three bottles to clean th m and they came up as new and have used it on them since and got all marks out- fab stuff!! Link as follows:

Sometimes less is more!!

My ex-demonstrator Cali came with Alcantra, and it's an option I will certainly go for should I ever replace the vehicle. I've just returned from a 6 week tour, (Portsmouth to John O Groats and back again) and there isn't a mark on them. They should be fitted as standard IMO.

I am sure the person who eventually buys your campervan will appreciate, having taken off your aftermarket seat covers, that underneath are pristine original VW seats that they can enjoy!

Paying a. Dealer to “Scotchguard” the seats is a waste of money for sure. Once the seats are cleaned and fully dried I would recommend buying several tins of Scothchgard on line (about £6 per can) and spray all seats and door fabric. Keep a small bottle of dry foam fabric cleaner in the van and clean up future marks as soon as you can. Having Scotchguard on the fabric should prevent most spills permanently staining the fabric. I agree with the above about why your seats look the way they do. As a result I suggest to use a good interior upholstery shampoo to clean all the seats. Spot cleaning will not work in this instance. If possible get a wet vacuum clearner to help draw out the cleaning solution along with the dirt suspended in it. Good luck.

Back