Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Options Options Options

E

Enzo.vari

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi All,

Trying to educate myself on the miriad of options you can pick through on the Cali. A lot of them are fairly self explainitory which is good but others not so. Apologies if this has been asked in a different thread but I was hoping if you could share some insight into what some of these options below entail and whether you think it is worth adding on.

1. Seating - "1 swivel seat w/longitudinal adjustment on rail system" - is this an additional seat on the second row? If so where is this placed? At present we don't need more than two rear seats, but perhaps in the future we may. Which is leading me to consider the second of the two seating options "without seats, with additional seat rail." Depends on whether my understanding of this option is correct of course.
2. Audio and Communications - "navigation System 'Discover Media Pro' including 'Streaming internet." - I was considering getting this, purely from a re-sale (wash your mouth I know!) perspective. We've got this on our e-golf and it loos snazzy with the dial-less buttons. But interested to know what people's thoughts are.
3. Comfort and convenience - "Storage net in roof bed access opening, 2nd drawer in bench seat instead of load-through hatch" - I'm guessing its a net that goes across/above the top bunk. I've seen on other posts on this forum that this definitely is not a child safety net, which really is what I'm after. Also, i'm not so clear what the 2nd drawer is. Any clarity/photos would be appreciated.
4. Windows - "Heated front windscreen" - again have this on my e-golf. Got this primarily because it is way more efficient on the battery and silent rather than having the blowers on. Wondering if it has as much of a benefit on the cali given the diesel engine. Experiences?
5. Battery/alternator capacity - "Uprated starter battery (92Ah,AGM)" - One or two nights off grid is probably the most we'd do, so I don't really see the value of this option. Thoughts experiences?
6. Luggage compartment cover - "Bed extension with comfort sleeping mat" - the comfort sleeping mat is pretty self explainitory but what is the bed extension? Is that a larger bed?
7. Built-in cupboard - "Cubpoards in 'graphite grey' with outdoor shower connection" - Thought this was pretty handy but with the hefty £348 price tank, I thought I could buy a mobile hand pump one. Quite like the idea of it being neatly tucked away though. Does it compromise on storage space with the built in pump/tank, or does it utilise the same tank and pump as the sink, so just additional piping?

Appart from these, I quite liked the wood flooring option and the 80L fuel tank which i thought was a no brainer for the price.

Thanks for all your help in my quest for knowledge before committing to my cali!

Alot of this would be found on the search function, but
1 yes, it's a 5th seat, goes in the space between the bench and front seats. Most people don't have/need
2 personal choice, I wouldnt have it
3 gives you a second drawer in the rear bench seat. We would have it, I found the load through hatch handy
4 Personal choice, I'd have it, I think a diesel takes longer to warm up than a petrol
5 updates the starter battery only, leisure batteries are completely separate.
6 bed extension is the 'rear parcel shelf' comfort mattress is personal preference, we'd get an after market topper
7 shower attachment is in the rear cupboard, accessible only with rear door open, uses the same pump as the tap...

So for item 6, I understand the rear parcel shelf is there as standard. So this option isn't really a "bed extender" then, more of a marketing gimmick? Whst you're paying for is the comfort mattress. That correct?

Reactions: Sad
Yeah, it's a damn sight cheaper to buy the comfort mattress with a new vehicle rather than afterwards, but we'd choose one of the offerings from the shop

N° 1

When i looked it seems that they only come with 2 sliding rails now,
so one option must be to have the 3 sliding rails - i think that was about 80€
or the rail and seat at about 580€.

I would get the extra rail just for the resale value of the van having it.
Also if you ever needed one you could pick one up on here.

N° 5 I would tick - but thats just me.

N° 4 Not needed if you have the heater with remote.

Ya thats what I was thinking about no. 3. Get the rail. Keeps it versatile / maintains resale value.

Ya thats what I was thinking about no. 3. Get the rail. Keeps it versatile / maintains resale value.
I don’t think you can get the extra rail with 4Motion. So no extra seat either.

edit : :welcome From a fellow Aberdonian member

I don’t think you can get the extra rail with 4Motion. So no extra seat either.
If you were speccing up a 4 motion it wouldn't give you
the option for the 5th seat, so i take it that the OP is gopng
2 motion. ;)

I would definitely recommend #3 for the extra drawer under the seat. We find it really useful for extra storage which would otherwise be dead space most of the time. If you ever need to use the load through hatch (e.g. for skis) you can remove the drawer by undoing 2 bolts in 5 minutes. It depends on how often you’re carrying skis or something or similar dimensions I suppose. For us, not needed to use the load through hatch so far, so drawer has been very valuable

If you were speccing up a 4 motion it wouldn't give you
the option for the 5th seat, so i take it that the OP is gopng
2 motion. ;)
Haha got me there... I did all my speccing from a hard copy brochure and the options and how they work together was not clear at all...

Haha got me there... I did all my speccing from a hard copy brochure and the options and how they work together was not clear at all...
A brochure and a pen would be easier, at least it
wouldn't tell you to change the colour of the seats based
on your wheel choice.

A rough idea on the confuserator and then off to a knowledgeable
dealer would be my tip.

Last time I looked at the configurater the £80 option for just the third rail without the seat had disappeared

Seems like the option is there when I was last on the configurator (yesterday).

And yes sticking with the two wheel drive. Can't justify the added cost for 4motion for what we intend to use it for. Would be great though.

Interesting why the rail wouldn't be an option on 4motion. The drive to the rear wheels take up more space?

It’s a weight issue on the 4motion.
Every time I look at the configurater something changes.

Seems like the option is there when I was last on the configurator (yesterday).

And yes sticking with the two wheel drive. Can't justify the added cost for 4motion for what we intend to use it for. Would be great though.

Interesting why the rail wouldn't be an option on 4motion. The drive to the rear wheels take up more space?
It's the weight factor with the extra seat as it limits your payload.
No need of heated Windscreen, just press the Parking Heater Remote at least 30 minutes before leaving car will then be frost free on ALL windows, not just windscreen, and warm inside.

As the co-owner of an eGolf/T6.1 Cali combo, I’d say Discover is fine in the Cali (a new order would be MY21 so can transfer Nav to the driver screen) and the two old skool knobs significantly reduce grubby finger smears - my pet hate in the eGolf! Ps it has the gesture control too.

Heated screen is not worth it (in the eGolf we start remote preheating 15 mins before we leave whilst still plugged in at home, and therefore have never had to use it). Most people use either the parking heater or an external thermal screen cover (or a scraper!) instead and save £££.

Storage net? To store what and when exactly? - a question I think even VW would find hard to answer. We specced it and it’s now firmly stored in our box room. However I do like the second drawer so for the ££ I’d definitely recommend unless you intend to frequently carry skis, long-poled windbreaks, javelins etc etc.

I think all Cali owners in hindsight wish they’d have specc’d this or that, but they’re all minor issues compared to the enjoyment the basic vehicle can provide. Hope helps and good luck!

#3, not for me. This space is a perfect fit for a pair of levelling chocks so not wasted space and if you need to carry skis or similar then take chocks out and you're good to go. Can't do that with a small drawer in the way.

As the co-owner of an eGolf/T6.1 Cali combo, I’d say Discover is fine in the Cali (a new order would be MY21 so can transfer Nav to the driver screen) and the two old skool knobs significantly reduce grubby finger smears - my pet hate in the eGolf! Ps it has the gesture control too.

Heated screen is not worth it (in the eGolf we start remote preheating 15 mins before we leave whilst still plugged in at home, and therefore have never had to use it). Most people use either the parking heater or an external thermal screen cover (or a scraper!) instead and save £££.

Storage net? To store what and when exactly? - a question I think even VW would find hard to answer. We specced it and it’s now firmly stored in our box room. However I do like the second drawer so for the ££ I’d definitely recommend unless you intend to frequently carry skis, long-poled windbreaks, javelins etc etc.

I think all Cali owners in hindsight wish they’d have specc’d this or that, but they’re all minor issues compared to the enjoyment the basic vehicle can provide. Hope helps and good luck!

Good insight thanks. Especially from someone who has the egolf too. We don't charge our egolf at home (free charge at work) so the heated windscreen is really handy for us. It would just zap power otherwise. Convinced now with all I'm hearing on here that heated windscreen in the Cali isn't worth it.

Good insight thanks. Especially from someone who has the egolf too. We don't charge our egolf at home (free charge at work) so the heated windscreen is really handy for us. It would just zap power otherwise. Convinced now with all I'm hearing on here that heated windscreen in the Cali isn't worth it.
... until the time you have frost on your Windows. Remember, the Cali window is much bigger than the golf and you may need to be good at climbing on the front wheel and reaching the top middle part of the screen to clear the frost. IMHO, a needed feature on a vehicle that will be used in all conditions.

... until the time you have frost on your Windows. Remember, the Cali window is much bigger than the golf and you may need to be good at climbing on the front wheel and reaching the top middle part of the screen to clear the frost. IMHO, a needed feature on a vehicle that will be used in all conditions.
With the Parking Heater you defrost all the windows and warm the car, not just the windscreen.

I don't know about the app, but the remote control for it works for a good distance. Mine lives by the alarm clock in winter. Don't know about a T6.1 but my T5.1 has a timer you can set as well.

Back