Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Orange Engine warning Light

Tocosan

Tocosan

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Our engine warning light came on on the way to Cornwall. I read threads on the subject and it seems that more often than not it is a sensor that needs replacing (hopefully only that). The engine ran, and still runs well and there are no indications of anything being seriously wrong. So, as we were unable to get it checked at a VW garage in Cornwall, we decided to carry on. Not sure if that was good idea, but 800 miles later we returned home without a problem.

Our Ocean is a 3 year old T6, out of warranty. I am thinking of buying a VCDS as I am a keen DIYer. Does anyone know if the VCDS can pinpoint the cause of the warning light? Thinking if the repair is simple it could be done without visiting a VW service centre.

Or is it wise not to touch anything and leave all to VW commercial Vans?

Our engine warning light came on on the way to Cornwall. I read threads on the subject and it seems that more often than not it is a sensor that needs replacing (hopefully only that). The engine ran, and still runs well and there are no indications of anything being seriously wrong. So, as we were unable to get it checked at a VW garage in Cornwall, we decided to carry on. Not sure if that was good idea, but 800 miles later we returned home without a problem.

Our Ocean is a 3 year old T6, out of warranty. I am thinking of buying a VCDS as I am a keen DIYer. Does anyone know if the VCDS can pinpoint the cause of the warning light? Thinking if the repair is simple it could be done without visiting a VW service centre.

If you had maintained VW Assistance £160/2yrs or any other Breakdown organisation and called them out they would have carried out a Diagnostic scan and told you what the problem was and if it was safe to carry on.
VCDS can be very useful, but make sure you buy the official lead and not some cheap Chinese copy so you can get full support from Ross Tech. Also I would suggest signing upto the T6 Forum, very helpful and VCDS savvy members on there.

I bought a carista OBD 2 reader around £25..They are absolutely brilliant. Will tell you if there is a problem and give you the codes. I bought one when ALL the dash lights came on. Diagnosed as an ABS brake sensor. Fitted new sensor reset the system. Perfect.

I had a very similar thing Happen whilst on holiday, long drive to get there, several long journeys whilst there :

orange EML, engine ran fine, gave it a thrashing around for an hour or so, to discount DPF etc, Orange EML still on !

called VW assist who sent out A patrol:

“very common problem with low mileage sedately driven Vans“

turned out to be the EGR tube partially blocked, : “ low flow“ was the fault text
VW assist flushed the EGR and changed the tube for a revised design tube at the campsite i was staying at.
apparently “its that common that VW have provided a bit of kit , chemicals and revised design EGR tube so the AA / vw assist can do this at the road side” !
1)your option are : try to correct it yourself : EGR cleaner sprayed into air intake Etc.
2) join VW assist and call them out to scan & fix it at home or transport it to a dealer.
3) take it to a stealer
4) buy, borrow or steal a code scanner (as above) then revert to 1,2 or 3

personally I would go route #2

I will post the thread which shows the process and revised replacement part fitted, fault code etc

edit: here it is
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/egr-insufficient-flow-£1700.

edit: link to site won’t work : search : subject; “EGR“ user: “Perfectos“

edit: second link contains the fault code post #2

Last edited:
Thank you all for your advice. Sounds like VW assist is what I need.
If you had maintained VW Assistance £160/2yrs or any other Breakdown organisation and called them out they would have carried out a Diagnostic scan and told you what the problem was and if it was safe to carry on.
VCDS can be very useful, but make sure you buy the official lead and not some cheap Chinese copy so you can get full support from Ross Tech. Also I would suggest signing upto the T6 Forum, very helpful and VCDS savvy members on there.
Thanks for that I will look into VW assist and joint the T6 forum.

I bought a carista OBD 2 reader around £25..They are absolutely brilliant. Will tell you if there is a problem and give you the codes. I bought one when ALL the dash lights came on. Diagnosed as an ABS brake sensor. Fitted new sensor reset the system. Perfect.
Thanks, I will do some deeper research into these sort of analysis devices

I had a very similar thing Happen whilst on holiday, long drive to get there, several long journeys whilst there :

orange EML, engine ran fine, gave it a thrashing around for an hour or so, to discount DPF etc, Orange EML still on !

turned out to be the EGR tube partially blocked, : “ low flow“ was the fault text
VW assist flushed the EGR and changed the tube for a revised design tube at the campsite i was staying at.
apparently “its that common that VW have provided a bit of kit , chemicals and revised design EGR tube so the AA / vw assist can do this at the road side” !
1)your option are : try to correct it yourself : EGR cleaner sprayed into air intake Etc.
2) join VW assist and call them out to scan & fix it at home or transport it to a dealer.
3) take it to a stealer

I will post the thread which shows the process and revised replacement part fitted, fault code etc

Thank you for the option suggestions, and the thread. Looks like VW assist is an essential. Also, I need to do more research on analysis devices.

Thanks, I will do some deeper research into these sort of analysis devices
I would say if you want an accurate inexpensive device you can’t get much better than the Carista OBD 2 code reader. That coupled with the carscanner app gives you terrific value and a tiny Bluetooth device you put in the glovebox. So even if you are away from home it gives you piece of mind. VW would probably charge £50 for a scan, yes their equipment costs thousands but for a quick accurate diagnosis carista is one of the best.

I would say if you want an accurate inexpensive device you can’t get much better than the Carista OBD 2 code reader. That coupled with the carscanner app gives you terrific value and a tiny Bluetooth device you put in the glovebox. So even if you are away from home it gives you piece of mind. VW would probably charge £50 for a scan, yes their equipment costs thousands but for a quick accurate diagnosis carista is one of the best.
Will it work for the Ocean 6.1?

Thanks Ozzy Pete, I have now ordered the Carista It will be sufficient for what I need.

3) take it to a stealer

Thanks Perfectos, I gone for option #2 and joined VW Assist. I will call them when my membership is fully active (24 hours).

Thanks Perfectos, I gone for option #2 and joined VW Assist. I will call them when my membership is fully active (24 hours).
Make sure you ask for them to send out a VW technician, otherwise they might send the AA. The VW technician can get priority bookings at VW if required.

Make sure you ask for them to send out a VW technician, otherwise they might send the AA. The VW technician can get priority bookings at VW if required.
To be fair it was the AA who sorted my issue, I think it depends on the individual and their willingness to help rather than pass the issue on

To be fair it was the AA who sorted my issue, I think it depends on the individual and their willingness to help rather than pass the issue on
Probably right, but in my experience the VW guys tend to be a little more communicative and seem to have a better relationship with the local dealers. Mind you that was just one problem way back when the AA came first and just reset the light and the VW did a more thorough diagnosis and talked to my Dealership. Everything sorted within 24 hrs, 3 days before Christmas.

The AA guys are empathetic.
they have to be, because of the job they do, they may not have a VW / Audi background, but I have spoken to several that have commercial vehicle experience, that experience counts for a lot when your dealing with Deisel vehicles.
guess what I’m saying Is AA doesn’t mean less services/ knowledge, just a different colour van, but the same capabilities

edit: I always ask for a vw assist agent first

Last edited:
Thanks for the discussion re VW/ AA. I will ask for a VW technician, and probably will not be disappointed if the AA turn up.

Thanks for the discussion re VW/ AA. I will ask for a VW technician, and probably will not be disappointed if the AA turn up.
You will be offered a choice:
a) choose VW assist tech - usually a slight delay in getting them to you vs AA (less VW assist patrol vehicles)
B) choose AA patrol (usually quicker but possibly less experience in VAG group specific vehicles)

Both will be competent And be able to read fault codes

VCDS is an excellent bit of kit. I am certain that it will be able to read the fault codes on you Cali. You will be able to read and clear codes but also you will be able to re code new ecu’s to you vehicle. Ross Tech are the company that make them and they have an excellent forum so worth looking at that to see if this is what you need. As someone else has said only buy a genuine version from Ross Tech or one of their distributers.
Some clubs have them and you can rent them for a small fee and a deposit. I think it you are going to run VAG cars for a number of years then it would pay to buy one. I have just checked and for about £230 you can get a genuine VCDS dongle and cable you will hen just need a Laptop and download the software from the Ross Tech website.
Also VW Assistance are very good but if you need to be towed I believe that they will only tow you to the nearest VW garage and then will provide transport for you. I am not sure that they will provide a Cali which might be a problem if you are camping.

I’ve been using this for a couple of years. Very good for reading and clearing codes.
Limited-time deal: ANCEL VD500 Pro OBD2 Reader for Volkswagen VW Audi Skoda Seat Diagnosis Check Engine Light EPB ABS SRS Code Reader Oil Throttle Position Adaption Service Due Reset Tool https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ZJ3V5J3/?tag=eliteelect-21

I’ve been using this for a couple of years. Very good for reading and clearing codes.
Limited-time deal: ANCEL VD500 Pro OBD2 Reader for Volkswagen VW Audi Skoda Seat Diagnosis Check Engine Light EPB ABS SRS Code Reader Oil Throttle Position Adaption Service Due Reset Tool https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ZJ3V5J3/?tag=eliteelect-21
I tried the “wired” type and it just didn’t work for me, I had to send it back. I find that the Bluetooth variety gives loads more information. But each to their own and I won’t knock what works for you.

Thanks for all comments so far. I ran the Carista diagnosis and reset all fault codes. The engine warning light not longer glowed. After a trip of about 30 miles the warning light came on again. I ran a full diagnosis on Carista and it returned 5 manufacturer-specific codes, 32137, 32138. 32140, 32142 and 32144. I was not able to find any further information on the web. looks Like its time to call VW assistance.

Before calling VW assistance I did a further check. I reset the orange warning light using Carista. I drove 60 miles on the Motorway, engine smooth, and NO engine warning light . However, the orange Adblue with spanner came on indicating 600 miles before AdBlue should be topped up. ( a few day previously I had 4000 AdBlue miles remaining Then the orange oil can light came on flashing now and again. But NO orange engine light on so far. I returned home switched off the engine and then switched on the ignition - Orange engine warning light returned. The next morning I bought 10 litres of add blue and added 4 litres. This made no difference to the AdBlue warning light. Checked the forums again and came across a thread with rodent damage - checked under the van and saw chewed wires (we have lots of foxes where I live). VW/AA Assistance called and promptly arrived with a non VW technician (who was very good). He made a temporary fix to the wires to AdBlue injector and Oil sensor. All warning alarms cleared (so far) except the orange Adblue/ spanner. Now booked into SMG Cowfold next month.
The AA technician told me he has seen this many times on Ford Transits - and he said foxes have also been known to go for brake pipes.
I shall make a ball of chicken wire and push it under the van where the wires are located hopefully to prevent foxes from getting in, and look into ultra-sonic deterrents for rodents.

Last edited:
Before calling VW assistance I did a further check. I reset the orange warning light using Carista. I drove 60 miles on the Motorway, engine smooth, and NO engine warning light . However, the orange Adblue with spanner came on indicating 600 miles before AdBlue should be topped up. ( a few day previously I had 4000 AdBlue miles remaining Then the orange oil can light came on flashing now and again. But NO orange engine light on so far. I returned home switched off the engine and then switched on the ignition - Orange engine warning light returned. The next morning I bought 10 litres of add blue and added 4 litres. This made no difference to the AdBlue warning light. Checked the forums again and came across a thread with rodent damage - checked under the van and saw chewed wires (we have lots of foxes where I live). VW/AA Assistance called and promptly arrived with a non VW technician (who was very good). He made a temporary fix to the wires to AdBlue injector and Oil sensor. All warning alarms cleared (so far) except the orange Adblue/ spanner. Now booked into SMG Cowfold next month.
The AA technician told me he has seen this many times on Ford Transits - and he said foxes have also been known to go for brake pipes.
I shall make a ball of chicken wire and push it under the van where the wires are located hopefully to prevent foxes from getting in, and look into ultra-sonic deterrents for rodents.
There's lots of threads about rodents and fox damage. The chilli tape from Ebay worked for me after 2 lots of wire damage.

Just to close my experience of this - all the warning lights, (EML,Adblue, etc.) are now confirmed as being due to wiring damage caused by Foxes. SMG Cowfold fitted Adblue injector and fitted some amour conduit. They did not need to redo the excellent work done by the AA VW assist technician. I have installed an ultrasonic fox deterrent (Foxwatch) which works well. It is a metre away from the van, at ground level and is aimed at the front of the van, between the front wheels, so 'sees' all of the under side. The van is covered by CCTV and foxes can be seen to instantly shy away when they trigger the device. Early days yet but it seems they are learning to keep away, I am seeing fewer foxes on the CCTV, only one last night, and that one ran past the van.

Back