Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ordered but still unsure about glass options

A

AlanM

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I have searched threads but still unsure about full implications of the glass I have specified.
I have listed "Laminated glass package in cab - Z2C" which does not seem to be listed in the spreadsheet details supplied elsewhere.

Questions are:
Does this mean lighter or darker or the same tint in the rear as for other 'privacy' options?
Does this mean that there is no double glazing in tailgate?
I'm presuming that the laminated glass is stronger and reduces noise, is this correct?
Does anyone have photos of this option in situ please?

Alan

Hi Alan, it's not easy!

Have a look at this thread but as you mentioned the spreadsheet I assume you have done so already.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/laminated-glass-package-in-cab-for-t6-california.13264/

I have the Z2C and got it because I believe it is safer and does reduce noise. Trouble is I could never really confirm it. I think it does.

As for if it's darker or not again I'm not much help. I will when I next Park it next to a T6 with the privacy glass try to give an opinion. I'm quite happy with it as didn't want a very dark limo tint.

Pictures wouldn't help much but you will find some of mine here:

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/phew-oops-b-r-hurray.13280/page-3

Tailgate is double glazed.
I have wash wipe and not the heated rear window.

Hope this helps.

I'm in Bristol if you ever have the opportunity feel free to come and have a look.

Mike

Hi Alan, it's not easy!

Have a look at this thread but as you mentioned the spreadsheet I assume you have done so already.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/laminated-glass-package-in-cab-for-t6-california.13264/

I have the Z2C and got it because I believe it is safer and does reduce noise. Trouble is I could never really confirm it. I think it does.

As for if it's darker or not again I'm not much help. I will when I next Park it next to a T6 with the privacy glass try to give an opinion. I'm quite happy with it as didn't want a very dark limo tint.

Hope this helps.

I'm in Bristol if you ever have the opportunity feel free to come and have a look.
From the spreadsheet it seems that the rear is more tinted than the other options ie

Mike
Many thanks Mike, that's really helpful and I will stick to the Z2C.
Data on the spreadsheet regarding light transmission seems to indicate that the privacy glass options all have similar windscreen and tailgate glass ie 79% and 39% gets through. However, the Z2C has slightly less tint on cab side windows so 79% gets through, i.e. same as for windscreen. However, I read it as there being a darker tint on rear cabin side windows with only 25.7% getting through compared to 39%.
Am I interpreting this correctly?
Also see many comments about ACC but can't find much on the Side Scan which I have left off my order; what's your experience, please?
Really sorry to read about dire problems with your order and hope that's fully resolved now.
Alan

Yep I think your interpretation is correct and I will try to find a T6 with privacy glass to compare. I was quite happy to have a noticeable difference between the cab and rear cabin tied together with the black B pillar.
Sidescan works well and it is just a case of me learning to automatically use it.
Basically it picks up anything approaching from the rear it's function being to cover the blind spot. Nice function is that if you were sat on a motorway and switched lanes it will light up to warn you if something is within its zone. If you indicate as you should prior to manoeuvring it will flash instead to alert you even more. Lights are built into the door mirrors and brightness can be adjusted from the MFD.

Still got the 2WD and waiting for the 4Motion. One I have is lovely but it will be nice when it's finally resolved. Good thing is that there is nothing I felt strongly enough about my build to change.

Good luck with finalising your order

Mike

Does this mean lighter or darker or the same tint in the rear as for other 'privacy' options?
Does this mean that there is no double glazing in tailgate?
I'm presuming that the laminated glass is stronger and reduces noise, is this correct?
Does anyone have photos of this option in situ please?
It's been a long time since we ordered (2014) but I'm pretty sure we ordered laminated and it was lighter. I checked it out against a van at the dealers with that option. We had our retro fitted with privacy and given we have a black van it looks great (well we would say that of course.)
Not sure about the double glazing but I don't think we have double glazing as we have the heater on the rear window.
I think laminated is stronger but as for reducing noise, I guess that's in the margins. In theory it should be given the construction sandwiches a thin plastic layer between two glass sheets AFAIK.
There is a picture of our van but it won't help much as we had the aftermarket privacy put on. As I said I think your best bet would be to find a van at a dealer with the option fitted and compare it with a van without.

Yep agreed. Only way to be sure.
I believe when I looked I couldn't find one but did find a caravelle in the showroom with the laminate which I liked. There was a T6 in the showroom but in different light and it was a hard shout to compare. Numbers on the spreadsheet when I did research indicated it should be as Alan has stated but privacy could well be darker and may appear so as cab with laminate is lighter. It's not easy
Hopefully I'll get to VW in the next couple of days and do the compare.

Mike

I have limited knowledge of laminate glass but when I specified it for the Volvo it was sold as part of the security package. It did not shatter when whacked. It stays as a solid piece, you'd need to slice the laminate sandwich to get out. Laminate glass also has some effect on the light transmission in terms of UVA/UVB. If remembering correctly it reduced the transmission of harmful rays and keeps it cooler. This was all the Volvo blurb.

I would have probably spec'd laminate but it went into build just as we were thinking of adding it. Statements here relates to Volvo, no idea if VW is the same. Saying that there are not to many manufacturers of laminate so it could be the same manufacturer

..message ends...

Sorry not to have responded but been away for a few days. Many thanks for all your valuable information.

My T6 Caravelle has laminated glass, its an executive model that came with a slight tint as standard. I can confirm that its got the same tint as a standard non laminated executive spec. When I was ordering like everybody I was under whelmed by the lack of info supplied to dealerships by VW. I got sick and tired of been told "I will refer that to BRAND" each time an extra week before a response and it added up in total to 2 months delay on ordering, just to get the spec sorted out. Quite often the info contadicted itself so it would have to be double checked.

For example the ride height/roof height of vehicle, Exec 20mm lower, 4Motion 20mm Higher than std, so what height will my T6 be? After 1 ½ months of persistent pestering "measure it when it arrives!" I was told my 4motion would come with Hill Descent Control as standard as it wasn't on the option lists, turns out the dealer was wrong, its only appears deep in their build data base, THATS THE POINT EVERYBODY NEEDS TO BE REALLY VIGULANT, sit down next to their screen when inputing, I'm currently forcing the dealership into finding a retro fit option (they are going to pay, all but the £90 factory option price, they don't know that yet!)

Sorry back to the glass, mine was order with it as I use it for my photographic/film business day to day and the main advantage is security, just like a windscreen it takes a lot longer to get through with a brick. After lots of research most laminated will have marginally better heat performance and sound deadening, but you probably won't be able to tell unless you've got some scientific gear to measure it with.

Hope my ramblings make sense.

Ramblings!? That was a great rant - I would say welcome to the nightmare that is VW Commercial specs and ordering but you've already been welcomed by the sounds of things. :talktothehand

Good luck with the payment - hope you have VWCS involved already.

Simon

Ive had a few dealings with VW on the cars side of things this year, took me 6 months of been told No a lot and some utterly pathetic excuses from the dealership that not even my gran would have believed. I stuck to my guns and eventually last month got them to swap my wife 21 month old UP, with its inherently cheaply designed gearbox for a 3 month old Polo 1.2TSI. The key to getting somewhere seems to be getting in direct contact with the Brand Manager, it turns out that VW don't want any extra bad press!

Hi Alan, it's not easy!

Hope this helps.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I am going to order a T6 California Ocean and I still have a doubt about Z2C option:

The rear window is doubled glazed but what about the rest of the windows in the passenger/load compartment? Are they doubled glazed or laminated like in the cabin?

Thanks!!

Hi Mike,

I am going to order a T6 California Ocean and I still have a doubt about Z2C option:

The rear window is doubled glazed but what about the rest of the windows in the passenger/load compartment? Are they doubled glazed or laminated like in the cabin?

Thanks!!

On a Ocean all windows behind the front seats are double glazed . If you take a heated rearwindow ( boothdoor) they change it in a single glazed with heating (useless option imo)

Welcome on your first post btw;)

On a Ocean all windows behind the front seats are double glazed . If you take a heated rearwindow ( boothdoor) they change it in a single glazed with heating (useless option imo)
Not for a Daily Driver. Sorry to Disagree. May not be wanted, but certainly not "useless" unless of course you only use the vehicle when the sun is shining and its warm enough to go without a coat.:Grin

@WelshGas , i always cover myself using : imo....;)
I never look out the rear window as that blind is always closed : dirty,froozen,....whatever . I learned to drive using side mirrors driving a truck (lorry) , hardly never use inside rear mirror (ok to check my looks i use it....) it's not that important whats behind you while driving , in front and beside is where you need to look....
As for parking , sensors.... it does get a habbit those sensors as my 15y old Renault Kangoo does not have them i keep hitting things....:D

Welcome on your first post btw;)

Thanks for your answer :thumb

I know that on the Ocean all windows behind the front seats are double glazed but I am not sure that if you choose the Z2C option you maintain the doubled glazed in the passenger/ compartment.

The dealer doesn´t know certainly and the configurator is not clear enough in Spain:

Paquete lunas aislantes doble en la cabina y lunas dobles (Privacy) en el habitáculo Z2C
4,74 €/mes o 605,00 €*1
  • Luneta trasera con lunas dobles, no térmica, y limpiaparabr. luneta trasera
  • Luna aislante doble en la cabina y lunas dobles oscurecidas (Privacy) en el habitáculo
  • Parabrisas de vidrio compuesto de seguridad con luna aislante doble
upload_2016-12-4_16-33-21.png

And this is the German version:

Dämmglaspaket im Fahrerhaus und Doppelverglasung (Privacy) im Fahrgastraum 529,55 €
  • Dämmglas im Fahrerhaus und dunkel eingefärbte Doppelverglasung (Privacy) im Fahrgastraum
  • Heckfenster mit Doppelverglasung, nicht beheizbar, und Heckscheiben-Wischwaschanlage
  • Verbundglas-Frontscheibe in Dämmglas
The UK version of the configurator is not working right now...

I don`t know what option choose between Z2C and QL0 because I want the laminated glass in the cabin in order to reduce the noise while driving but I don't want to "lose" the double glazed windows in the passenger/ load compartment in order to avoid condensation in "camper mode" when I am sleeping for example.

Thanks in advance!!

Unless anything has changed for MY 2017, Z2C gives you two laminated winding windows in the front and some additional tinting for all the windows behind those, nothing more. The two laminated winding windows are tinted less than standard windows and I personally prefer standard. Also the darker tinting of the windows rearwards could, IMHO, hardly be described as privacy. However all very personal views. In ours (Ocean) the glazing for the sliding door and the opposite window is still single glazed toughened, so the Z2C option for added security alone would have little if any value. The three standard double glazed windows are retained. Just a bit of feedback from our recent experience having had that option, hope this may be some help :thumb

Unless anything has changed for MY 2017, Z2C gives you two laminated winding windows in the front and some additional tinting for all the windows behind those, nothing more. The two laminated winding windows are tinted less than standard windows and I personally prefer standard. Also the darker tinting of the windows rearwards could, IMHO, hardly be described as privacy. However all very personal views. In ours (Ocean) the glazing for the sliding door and the opposite window is still single glazed toughened, so the Z2C option for added security alone would have little if any value. The three standard double glazed windows are retained. Just a bit of feedback from our recent experience having had that option, hope this may be some help :thumb

Therefore with the Z2C option, the double glazed (with air chamber) on the sliding door has been lost?

The opposite sliding window is not double glazed with or without Z2C I guess...

The more I know the more confused I am :help

My understanding is that the sliding door's window and the opposite side window are always single glazed on T6 Oceans. Please someone correct me if I am wrong!

Most of this confusion is due to VWs sh@t translation.
Laminated glass in the UK means 2 layers of glass separated by a layer of plastic, like all windscreens have been for the last 30 years.
Laminated to VW means double glazed as us Brits know it------2 layers of glass with an air gap between.

My understanding is that the sliding door's window and the opposite side window are always single glazed on T6 Oceans. Please someone correct me if I am wrong!

You are wrong! :D

Today I have been visiting the dealer again and there was a brand new Ocean ready to go, with no options added, and I have checked that the sliding door is also double glazed (air gap between 2 glass) like the "Climalit" ones.

On the oppositte side the sliding window is always singled glazed.

Finally I will choose QL0 option: Double glazed (privacy) windows in passenger compartment

It is like the standard equipment (QL4) but these are tinted in passenger/load compartment.

Greetings

You are wrong! :D

Today I have been visiting the dealer again and there was a brand new Ocean ready to go, with no options added, and I have checked that the sliding door is also double glazed (air gap between 2 glass) like the "Climalit" ones.

On the oppositte side the sliding window is always singled glazed.

Finally I will choose QL0 option: Double glazed (privacy) windows in passenger compartment

It is like the standard equipment (QL4) but these are tinted in passenger/load compartment.

Greetings
Intriguing. I have a 2017 UK model built in Oct 16 and the sliding windows and their surrounding glass are single glazed on both sides, like our previous 2016 one.

Intriguing. I have a 2017 UK model built in Oct 16 and the sliding windows and their surrounding glass are single glazed on both sides, like our previous 2016 one.

On the Ocean with the standard equipment (Spain model) there is no practicable window on the sliding door (unless you order it) so it is double glazed, I guarantee...

On the Ocean with the standard equipment (Spain model) there is no practicable window on the sliding door (unless you order it) so it is double glazed, I guarantee...
Okay I guess that's the answer, all UK Oceans have sliding windows both sides as std.

Back