Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Original alloys versus beautiful low profiles

Yorkie

Yorkie

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
my Cali came with BBS alloys and the original wheels with Mud and Snow tyres on. I have only driven with the BBS fitted. Do you think there will be a big difference in ride and comfort if I swap them back?image.png

Mine came with nice solid steel 16" wheels ...good enough .

Well only you can decide that.

As proved countless times here, one mans comfort/style is another mans bone crunching/eyesore.

Try it.

A larger sidewall will give you a softer ride but if you're used to the stiffer lower profiles you might find it different on the corners but better on the potholes.

my Cali came with BBS alloys and the original wheels with Mud and Snow tyres on. I have only driven with the BBS fitted. Do you think there will be a big difference in ride and comfort if I swap them back?View attachment 18534
It depends on what size the BBS alloys are. If as I suspect, they are 18, 19 or even 20" rims and the original wheels are 16 or 17", then I think that you will notice a marked improvement in the ride comfort.

Smaller wheels = taller tyre side walls = a more cushioning effect over bumps. In effect you are improving your suspension.

With 20" rims and a thin smear of rubber around them you might as well be driving a road roller. You will feel every minor bump.

A larger sidewall will give you a softer ride but if you're used to the stiffer lower profiles you might find it different on the corners but better on the potholes.
You probably won't know this but Sheffield is notorious for potholes and poor Tarmac so that is the reason for my post. I drove back from my first trip and only when I arrived back in town did anything start to shake and rattle.

[QUOTE="Borris, post: 190065, member: 10155]

With 20" rims and a thin smear of rubber around them you might as well be driving a road roller. You will feel every minor bump.[/QUOTE]

Ooooh that's gonna upset some!!

It depends on what size the BBS alloys are. If as I suspect, they are 18, 19 or even 20" rims and the original wheels are 16 or 17", then I think that you will notice a marked improvement in the ride comfort.

Smaller wheels = taller tyre side walls = a more cushioning effect over bumps. In effect you are improving your suspension.

With 20" rims and a thin smear of rubber around them you might as well be driving a road roller. You will feel every minor bump.
I will swap them and see if improvements are obvious. Then I have a winter tyre issue. Deciding when to re-boot the 4 to normal when I have good new low profiles in the cellar.

The rules of physics apply in all cases.

If you replace your wide alloy wheels for narrower (and lighter) alloy wheels then you have reduced the unsprung mass and the ride quality will be improved.

You are also likely to go for a smaller diameter than the current wheels, with the same rolling radius including tyre, and tyre walls tend to be more compliant than aluminium. As such, the shock absorption properties will inevitably be improved, but the lateral shear forces may be felt as wobble/lean in the corners.

I wouldn't have wider alloys on a Cali, but that's more for safety than comfort. I've aquaplaned in sportscars on several occasions on the continent (before I had kids) and the thought of the same happening in a Cali full of family is not something I want to consider. I know wider wheels only increase the chances a little but it would always be on my mind. Plus the additional tyre noise/cost, just wouldn't make sense to me.

Last edited:
Yorkie, I'd be interested in buying the BBS wheels and tyres if you decide they are not for you.

Mark

Original listing shows Wheel info as 19, 20 & 22" diameters. Not as low as 18" it would appear.

Carlos Fandango has the final word. :pinkbanana

Economic option may be to sell BBS wheels & buy a set of 17" Davenport's that are currently available 'as new' with 235/55 tyres. Around ÂŁ600 mark.

my Cali came with BBS alloys and the original wheels with Mud and Snow tyres on. I have only driven with the BBS fitted. Do you think there will be a big difference in ride and comfort if I swap them back?View attachment 18534

Must be someone near with an equivalent machine for you to at least be a passenger? No VW centres where you could test drive?

You will be able to sell them wheels very quickly I'd imagine.

..message ends...

I booked a garage for tomorrow to
Must be someone near with an equivalent machine for you to at least be a passenger? No VW centres where you could test drive?

..message ends...
swap the wheels over

..message ends...
I have booked a local garage to swap the wheels over on Thursday. So I just need a trip to try them out. I will report back with my subjective answer.

Mine came with those exact wheels, 20". Tyre wear is above average - they're bigger than the supported size, I believe, so cannot be trued exactly.

I also discovered they use different bolts to the spare and my stock wheel spanner cannot remove them. I have to carry two sets of bolts!

I'm happy with the ride though, I'd rather have it a bit firmer and bumpy rather than a bit wallowy!

Mine came with those exact wheels, 20". Tyre wear is above average - they're bigger than the supported size, I believe, so cannot be trued exactly.

I also discovered they use different bolts to the spare and my stock wheel spanner cannot remove them. I have to carry two sets of bolts!

I'm happy with the ride though, I'd rather have it a bit firmer and bumpy rather than a bit wallowy!
I live in Sheffield which is a bit like a war zone. They have a full tarmac replacement plan so stopped doing quality repairs as that is wasting money. So where roads haven't been fully resurfaced its like a third world country.

I think this problem is coloring my judgement. When i drive out of the town everything gets easier. I have the 17 inch on now so i will see how i feel.

I needed two sets of tools too. When i went to garage to swap the wheels mechanic said "where are the correct bolts?" Arghhh. I had to go and get some. All in the past now.

Back