Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Original Leisure Battery. What type was it?

ArcticMatt

ArcticMatt

VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 Hightop
I've just wired up my solar charger with some fresh panels after the last owner nabbed them. The settings have reverted back to factory setting on the charge controller (Solara) which was for lead acid batteries. I've changed it back to gel thinking thats what the battery was but I just wanted to check thats correct. I've looked though a load of past threads and I getting the impression its gel but I cant seem to find a definitive answer.

Untitled by Matt Wilde, on Flickr

Sonnenchein I believe. Exide nowadays.
There was an alternative original fit but I can't recall what it is. It's in the control panel set up manual.

Hang around and Dan will give you the exact Intel including dimensions, colour, weight and Christian name of the guy that fitted it to your van.

image.jpeg
Here we are. Deta was the other brand.
Here Sonnenchein has been translated as Subshine.

Cheers chaps. I thought it was. When the warning says no more than 14.4v was another clue for me
I've now got 70w worth of solar panel to top up the battery for now. I may put another one on later on if it's not enough.

Hang around and Dan will give you the exact Intel including dimensions, colour, weight and Christian name of the guy that fitted it to your van.

Looks like it was done on a Tuesday, so that will have been Dietrich, 5'10", white, 85kg.

hth.

Back