Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Original VW Cali Comfort Mattress

Jari

Jari

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi Guys,
I just got got offer from swiss dealer to buy original VW comfort Mattress for my 2015 T5 Comfortline. I never knew that exists. I know Brandup and some other after market brands, but never came across with original one. I tried to google it, but didn't find anything. Are here any guys who has experience about original comfort mattress? Pro's and cons? Dealer is quite far from here where I live and your info might same me quite long drive for nothing....
Cheers from Switzerland
Jari

I think the one VW sells is the Brandrup one....

Hi Guys,
I just got got offer from swiss dealer to buy original VW comfort Mattress for my 2015 T5 Comfortline. I never knew that exists. I know Brandup and some other after market brands, but never came across with original one. I tried to google it, but didn't find anything. Are here any guys who has experience about original comfort mattress? Pro's and cons? Dealer is quite far from here where I live and your info might same me quite long drive for nothing....
Cheers from Switzerland
Jari
I have the Mattress for my California SE.
Made in 3 pieces hinged together as one.
Section at rear is double thickness compared to the other 2 sections. This is to make up for the height difference between the Flexi board/Parcel Shelf and the rear seat when in bed position. It folds up easily. We find it very comfortable but some have said it is firm.
There are NO Brandrup labels on it. The following photos show it with a Comfortz removable cover.
Comfortz Cover deployed.jpg

Comfortz Cover stored.jpg

Thanks! looks promising for me. I like the idea that it's firm. I feel important that it come's with all 3 pieces hinged together. I will drive to that dealer and have a look tomorrow.

Thanks James, Froli looks serious, but I found only mattress for upper bunk. Do they produce mattress also for down stairs ?

The Brandrup mattress is thinner, firmer, takes up less space when folded up and in my opinion better made, but the real bonus is it allows you to have the rear shelf at the higher setting giving you more storage underneath the bed; you can get 2lt bottle of drink standing upright. Down side, it’s more expensive.

Yes the VW Comfort matterss is softer, particularly at the head end, but most of that is where your pillows will be.

I think I’m in the minority as most people go for the VW Comfort, but I’m going for a Brandrup for SusiBus T6 - extra space, dead flat bed, yes firm, but comfortable!

The Brandrup mattress is thinner, firmer, takes up less space when folded up and in my opinion better made, but the real bonus is it allows you to have the rear shelf at the higher setting giving you more storage underneath the bed; you can get 2lt bottle of drink standing upright. Down side, it’s more expensive.

Yes the VW Comfort matterss is softer, particularly at the head end, but most of that is where your pillows will be.

I think I’m in the minority as most people go for the VW Comfort, but I’m going for a Brandrup for SusiBus T6 - extra space, dead flat bed, yes firm, but comfortable!
I went for the original matress too whan I ordered my T6 octobre 2015 , but only because I discovered later (too late) about the advantage of the brandrup matress..

Thanks James, Froli looks serious, but I found only mattress for upper bunk. Do they produce mattress also for down stairs ?

Jari, they certainly made the down stairs mattress when I made an enquiry in 2014. I expect they have a contract with VW for both mattresses. If you are still interested make contact with them, I found them both prompt and helpful.

I expect its all what you are used to, I went to a boarding school with horse hair mattresses :Nailbiting

I have a brand new vw comfort mattress for the lower bed in our garage which we don't use. We bought a pre ordered one which had this option. Not sure how much it's worth but might be interested in selling. We are located in Bournemouth

I have a brand new vw comfort mattress for the lower bed in our garage which we don't use. We bought a pre ordered one which had this option. Not sure how much it's worth but might be interested in selling. We are located in Bournemouth
They were about £300 new.

This has got me considering knocking the comfort mattress from my order which has only just got in. Probably the option I have done the least research on as seemed a no brainer to have the VW one. Perhaps not. I went for the comfort mattress with bed extension. I have to admit to not fully understanding this. What is the bed extension bit. In other words can I just not have this option at all and go for the brandrup mattress. If so which one for a T6 Ocean?

Mike

Last edited:
This has got me considering knocking the comfort mattress from my order which has only just got in. Probably the option I have done the least research on as seemed a no brainer to have the VW one. Perhaps not. I went for the comfort mattress with bed extension. I have to admit to not fully understanding this. What is the bed extension bit. In other words can I just not have this option at all and go for the brandrup mattress. If so which one for a T6 Ocean?

Mike
The extension bit is what you might call the 'parcel shelf' behind the rear seat. You have to be careful about ordering. As I understand it you can have "3U7 Bed extension with sleeping mat" as standard or "3U1 Bed extension with comfort sleeping mat" at extra cost. (A rather subtle distinction but quite a big difference.)

3U1 comfort sleeping mat is the full length of the 'downstairs' bed. It folds into three sections, and the rear section covering the bed extension is double thickness with the other two sections covering the seats as single thickness. That way the resulting surface is level to sleep on.

3U7 (which is what I got) is just a single thickness piece to cover the bed extension. It thus comes up level with the folded-flat seats.

3U7 is what you need if you are going to buy an extra mattress topper afterwards.

Good luck, WolfPack

The extension bit is what you might call the 'parcel shelf' behind the rear seat. You have to be careful about ordering. As I understand it you can have "3U7 Bed extension with sleeping mat" as standard or "3U1 Bed extension with comfort sleeping mat" at extra cost. (A rather subtle distinction but quite a big difference.)

3U1 comfort sleeping mat is the full length of the 'downstairs' bed. It folds into three sections, and the rear section covering the bed extension is double thickness with the other two sections covering the seats as single thickness. That way the resulting surface is level to sleep on.

3U7 (which is what I got) is just a single thickness piece to cover the bed extension. It thus comes up level with the folded-flat seats.

3U7 is what you need if you are going to buy an extra mattress topper afterwards.

Good luck, WolfPack
Cracking stuff. I will do some homework and check my paperwork

Edit OK I have the 3U1 on order I will have a think and try to find out more about which brandrup to order.

Mike

Last edited:
I presume these are the Brandrup mattresses that have been mentioned?

http://www.brandrupshop.nl/en/192-ixtend

It appearsthe thicker one looks like a straight replacement for the VW one but is the pad the one to go for. Anyone got the Pad?

Having read the blurb not sure but may need to order both - most confusing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I presume these are the Brandrup mattresses that have been mentioned?

http://www.brandrupshop.nl/en/192-ixtend

It appearsthe thicker one looks like a straight replacement for the VW one but is the pad the one to go for. Anyone got the Pad?

Having read the blurb not sure but may need to order both - most confusing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is confusing. In 2010 for my T5 I ordered from the VW brochure of those days VW Part No. 7H5069620PYK described as Brandrup "California folding bed mattress". It was single thickness throughout and the three sections folded up and sat on the 'parcel shelf' mat when not in use. I don't know if that is still available though.

It is confusing. In 2010 for my T5 I ordered from the VW brochure of those days VW Part No. 7H5069620PYK described as Brandrup "California folding bed mattress". It was single thickness throughout and the three sections folded up and sat on the 'parcel shelf' mat when not in use. I don't know if that is still available though.
Thanks! Yep looks different now. I have contacted them asking for clarification and if I get any I will post on here.

Mike

Looking at the Brandrup website it seems to me that for the prices they are charging it wouldn't hurt to give a little more information about their products.
After one night on whatever mattress I have - it's grey, very heavy, comes in three attached section one of which as previously mentioned, is deeper - I found it much too hard for my arthritic hips, and much too heavy to move about. Does anyone sleep on the seat upholstery with just an (unbranded) memory foam topper?

Does anyone sleep on the seat upholstery with just an (unbranded) memory foam topper?

Once our van is delivered (probably December this year) when we go away we plan to sleep our two boys, now ages 1y3m and 2y6m, longways on the folded down triple bench. We intend to buy two cot mattresses to cover the seat and back of the bench.

As the full sized lower bed is 150 x 200 cm, when the boys are older, they might sleep upstairs, and Clare and I downstairs. For this we intend to buy a 140 x 190 cm mattress topper from Ikea.

Does anyone have any experience of either of these two options?

it depends how far you want to go , in germany a cali owner had a matress custom made at a matress factory: