Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sorry Now Sold Original VW California Awning

SMR515

SMR515

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
This genuine OEM awning was originally fitted to our 2007/8 VW California for approximately 2 seasons- the original owner took it off the vehicle and stored it in his garage until we purchased the van in November 2017

It's in Grey, the metal framework and awning material is in very good condition, however it's lost one end cap ( opposite end to winder) and requires the bkts to fix it to the van as they have gone AWOL during storage

These can now be vinyl wrapped to black or other colours should you feel the need, and black end caps are available

We are looking for sensible offers for this item - £375.00 - would be great but happy to listen

Collection only -

Last edited:
From the info I've read, it's not the same item as the OEM product and I'm open to realistic offers
The Thule Omnister + £685 is effectively the OEM version of the awning -

Yes, as was mine, think there was some take over / collaboration with the two manufacturers over the yrs but pretty sure that the sub £500 FIAMMA awning is not the same specification as the one supplied as OEM on our vehicles.
The Thule model is based around the OEM spec product.

I'm looking for an awning, but to be honest at 10 years old and requiring parts and brackets and only in good condition, your price makes no sense.

It's second hand and broken and will likely turn out to be a hassle. By the time you factor in the new parts and the cost to wrap, you won't be far of a shiny new one ;)

Good luck though just not for me!

Last edited:
Thanks for your positive response, ok it's 10 year old, actually used for two and stored for 8 - all bkts are available from the manufacturer from the VW or Thule website and apparently the kit comes with seals etc, agree that my asking price is ambitious, but happy to listen to sensible offers - if I'd advertised it at £300 some cheeky chappie would still only offer me £150.00 so what's the point?
The OEM awnings don't come up for sale very often the last one I saw a few weeks ago on eBay at £495.00 seemed to sell pretty quickly - however advertiser didn't disclose its age - from my perspective I want to achieve the best price for it as I can, but at least I'm being up front and probably underplaying it's true condition.

Sorry it's not for you, but wish you luck in your search.

Thanks for your interest

Last edited:
Thanks for your positive response, ok it's 10 year old, actually used for two and stored for 8 - all bkts are available from the manufacturer, and agree that my asking price is ambitious, but happy to accept sensible offers - if I'd advertised it at £300 some cheeky chappie will still offer me £150.00 so what's the point. These don't come up very often the last one WS a few weeks ago on eBay at £450- however advertiser didn't disclose its age - from my perspective I want to achieve the best price for it as I can, but at least I'm being up front with its heritage, sorry it's not for you, wish you look in your search

I wasn't trying to be positive, I was trying to be realistic whilst pointing out your expectations are unrealistic.

Just because something is advertised on eBay doesn't mean it sold. I see lots of second hand bike rakes for sale on eBay and here for just shy of the new prices. If you go into your dealer and negotiate with them you can get a reasonable discount off the list.

Your awning is second hand and needs work from the prospective buyer to bring it up to muster. Maybe think about advertising it for a more realistic price then it might attract interest. Lots of handy people on here but at £425 I suspect most just pass you by.

Like I said good luck, I wasn't trying to annoy you.

Hi, the last thing I am is annoyed, the forum provides healthy debate from owners far more experienced and well versed than I am in the world of VW California's, so as a newbie I'm happy to take advice - I have obviously done some research prior to advertising but frankly the genuine OEM awnings don't come up for sale too often, and the one on EBay at £450 from a respected seller suggested that my initial price may at least attract dicussion and perhaps a sensible offer - I've taken your advice, reduced its asking price and still happy to listen to sensible offers from forum members - thanks

The kit needed to fit the awning is only available from Vw or the Club shop thule will not sell you one. They are in the region of £150 for both brackets all the bolts and the weather strip

Last edited:
The kit needed to fit the awning is only available from Vw or the Club shop thule will not sell you one. They are in the region of £150 for both brackets all the bolts and the weather strip

Thanks for the information - this will be a help to others on the forum -

Reading this thread, I can understand why many very established forums don't allow open debate about prices.
A seller can ask what they like and a prospective buyer can negotiate privately via conversation or swapping contact details.
A genuine transaction can take place when the deal is worth it to both parties without the world snooping on their business.
Let's face it some people have no interest in buying yet wish to dispute price.
Kept private at least the seller would understand if their item is priced reasonably by the private communication and can bump their own thread with adjustments

As a newbie to this forum and VW California life, I welcome the feedback from members, but also agree that the threads can show a negativity to potential buyers.
It's interesting to note that so far I've not had any serious interest in the item, and may decide that it's better to simply re wrap it, and put it in my garage loft, just in case I decide that I will use an awning on our future travels.

if I'd advertised it at £300 some cheeky chappie would still only offer me £150.00 so what's the point?
I have bought three things on this forum. All have been sensibly priced, and I've always offered the full asking price. If the asking price is unreasonable the product is of no interest.

Follow my blog at www.au-revoir.eu

Do they still supply the original colour end caps?