Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Osram Nightbteakers

Taff Tenor

Taff Tenor

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi all - still class myself as a tenderfoot given Herman’s been in COVID lockdown for most of the last year. I’d like to improve nighttime visibility and have read somewhere that fitting these might be a good and cheap option as I can’t bring myself to retro fit LED’s on my 2018 T6.

...but here’s the thing..are they relatively easy to fit, any problems after fitting as still under warranty and don’t want to disk voiding and do I need x2 for each side?

Sorry if this has been done to death but I just couldn’t find the relevant thread.

Cheers

Taff T

They make a big difference for the better, and they are easy to fit: you just change them, like you replace a bulb when it is broken.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Hi all - still class myself as a tenderfoot given Herman’s been in COVID lockdown for most of the last year. I’d like to improve nighttime visibility and have read somewhere that fitting these might be a good and cheap option as I can’t bring myself to retro fit LED’s on my 2018 T6.

...but here’s the thing..are they relatively easy to fit, any problems after fitting as still under warranty and don’t want to disk voiding and do I need x2 for each side?

Sorry if this has been done to death but I just couldn’t find the relevant thread.

Cheers

Taff T
No effect on Warranty.
Yes, you need 4 H7 replacements.

Do these count as modifying your vehicle with respect to your insurance companies Ts and Cs?

Do these count as modifying your vehicle with respect to your insurance companies Ts and Cs?
You could check, but I wouldn't think so as they are just replacement bulbs, road legal and readily available from most Motor spares outlets.

Thanks for all the helpful responses....down to Halfords it is then. Cheers

Thanks for all the helpful responses....down to Halfords it is then. Cheers
Make sure that you get the +150% version. You can also get the same for the fog lights, you actually see them come on when turning. Also an easy fit - easier than the H7's

H7 bulbs are pull out/push in they are held in place by side spring clips not the traditional rear clip over type.

Cheapest source is EBAY. about £20 a pair

I went through a phase of going for these types of bulbs (in my xc90). What I would say is that they last nowhere near as long as the standard osram bulbs. We're talking months instead of years. I saw little gain vs cost so I've gone back to long life osram bulbs.

Sorry guys but just before I buy are mine definitely H7’s ?

864E4918-EB98-4931-AF58-B1B37E7DD4B2.jpeg

46D4BCB9-1E28-4F64-A87E-EA7A28845541.jpeg

Yes, if in doubt switch on dip beam - outer light on - then main beam - outer & inner both on - then H7.

H4 would only have the outer on for both dip & main beam.

I went through a phase of going for these types of bulbs (in my xc90). What I would say is that they last nowhere near as long as the standard osram bulbs. We're talking months instead of years. I saw little gain vs cost so I've gone back to long life osram bulbs.
Nearly 3 years now no failures. Combination of Philips, GE and Osram in 2 vehicles

Interestingly I read an article on headlight bulbs and in it was the recommendation to replace Halogen bulbs every 2 years due to filament deterioration over time giving progressively lower light output as time passes.

Same here - day lights on XC60 got through them in no time - lights still terrible when not in beam

No problem for past 6 years using Osram Nightbraker H7, H15 and H2 for fog lights.

I fitted the night breakers to my T25 and they were gamechangers, not sure how they would better newer units

Keep getting tempted to try Osram H7 LED bulbs in the main beam units.
Not road legal and may make dip seem like side lights when switched off.

I like the Osram Nightbreakers
42ef4e652c9fdd9914b2dee9e0b0d7d8.jpg

92f60f9fa4f351772c0c34978357c914.jpg

Make sure that you get the +150% version. You can also get the same for the fog lights, you actually see them come on when turning. Also an easy fit - easier than the H7's

H7 bulbs are pull out/push in they are held in place by side spring clips not the traditional rear clip over type.

Thanks B J G

Thanks B J G but is it the then the very same bulbs for the fog lamps as for the main and dip so I’d need x 6 H7 150% as advertised on eBay? Well cheap at £20’ish for x2 Halford’s want £115 for x2 pair! Can they really then be he sane bulbs?

Finally, what about the DRL’s? Worth swapping them out as well and if so which Nightbreaker version for these? H7’s again?

Cheers

Taff T

Thanks B J G

Thanks B J G but is it the then the very same bulbs for the fog lamps as for the main and dip so I’d need x 6 H7 150% as advertised on eBay? Well cheap at £20’ish for x2 Halford’s want £115 for x2 pair! Can they really then be he sane bulbs?

Finally, what about the DRL’s? Worth swapping them out as well and if so which Nightbreaker version for these? H7’s again?

Cheers

Taff T
Only the headlights are H7. No idea what the others are on the T6.
I would be wary of the ebay pricing.

No effect on Warranty.
Yes, you need 4 H7 replacements.

I have just ordered a set from deutsche parts +£79 for 4xH7, 2xLED side light, 2xLED driving light. Free 48hr Royalmail delivery.

I have been thinking about these for a while and with Winter approaching have decided to give them a try.

Was in Halfords today for something else and they were doing own brand H7 X 4 bulbs 130 pc brighter (fitted) plus winter check for £51, went ahead although not sure how long Halfords bulbs will last. The 150 pc ones were about £120 for 4 fitted plus check.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Nearly 3 years now no failures. Combination of Philips, GE and Osram in 2 vehicles

Interestingly I read an article on headlight bulbs and in it was the recommendation to replace Halogen bulbs every 2 years due to filament deterioration over time giving progressively lower light output as time passes.
Tell me that again when my factory fitted H7's die on my in a couple of years from now.

I still haven’t got my head around this properly. If I order x4 H7 Nightbreaker +150% can they be used to replace dip and main beam and will dipped set then look like they’re on full?

Also trawling the T6 Transporter forum thinking of some LED Osram W21W’s in cool white to replace the dull factory fitted DRL’s. Any once else done this and are they as difficult to fit for an average bod like me and therefore strictly for the experts?

Cheers

Taff T

I still haven’t got my head around this properly. If I order x4 H7 Nightbreaker +150% can they be used to replace dip and main beam and will dipped set then look like they’re on full?

Also trawling the T6 Transporter forum thinking of some LED Osram W21W’s in cool white to replace the dull factory fitted DRL’s. Any once else done this and are they as difficult to fit for an average bod like me and therefore strictly for the experts?

Cheers

Taff T
Don’t worry.
The Beam pattern from the H7 in the dipped unit is completely different to the beam pattern with the H7 in the main beam unit.
I fitted these 12 months ago and cannot rate them highly enough.
Dipped is much better, no discernible angry flashes from oncoming drivers when on dipped and the additional distance and brighter beam pattern on main has to be seen to be believed.
They are perfectly legal.

Back