Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Our first trip in the T6

Nottledim

Nottledim

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Just been to North Norfolk for our first three nights. The Cali has the exact spec we ordered, T6 204 DSG and is definitely a quieter smoother ride than our previous 180 manual.
The real eye opener was the adaptive cruise control. It worked very well going north to south past Birmingham and in general traffic.
There were two worrying incidents that mean it needs using with care
The first was on a left hand bend where a road turned off to the right with a filter lane, the acc radar picked up the car waiting in the filter lane and slammed the brakes on, no one behind fortunately.
The second was overtaking a truck on a dual carriageway where a cone was on the central reservation in front of the guard rail. Again the brakes came on hard. Again no one behind. This might have been the assisted braking system but a bit scary.
Oh and side scan assist does not work if you have a trailer or anything else plugged into the towbar electrics.
Not withstanding those issues we are delighted with the new Cali.

Thanks and interesting, makes sense for the side scan scan to be disabled with a trailer, not so good with the ACC

Mike

If a car start hitting the breaks out of the blue , i am out....
No option i would get....could end up causing a accident instead avoiding one.
For me all to much , i want to drive myself and be in control myself

Last edited:
That won't be side scan, that is just the ACC, however if it reacting to object not directly in front then it might need realigning.

That won't be side scan, that is just the ACC, however if it reacting to object not directly in front then it might need realigning.
Yep agreed side scan being disabled with trailer is no problem but the ACC could be. Like you say hopefully it can be realigned. I presume though it's just fixed radar beam and picked up the car in filter as if it pulled in front. Honestly never having used it, yet it would be good to get some in use opinions.

Mike

Had to have the Touareg ACC realigned after similar issues when passing lorries in narrow lanes, they first have to do a 4 wheel alignment, because the system uses the steering angle in conjunction with the radar.

Good news Loz
@Nottledim sounds like something you should report to your dealer. Being a safety issue might get some swift action.

Mike

I have now spoken to VW and re read the manual. It seems that the radar beam will pick up items on the outside of a left hand bend on a narrow dual carriageway so caution is necessary when using acc and it probably needs to be cancelled for a few moments.
This will only happen when the road is clear ahead as the radar beam will track a vehicle if that is ahead.
It just means you can't leave your brain behind if you are driving with acc, that's fair enough.

It just means you can't leave your brain behind if you are driving with acc, that's fair enough.
Also, remember you are using it if you follow a car upto a roundabout it needs to be cancelled because if the car in front pauses and pulls out into a gap your Cali will follow...

I have now spoken to VW and re read the manual. It seems that the radar beam will pick up items on the outside of a left hand bend on a narrow dual carriageway so caution is necessary when using acc and it probably needs to be cancelled for a few moments.
This will only happen when the road is clear ahead as the radar beam will track a vehicle if that is ahead.
I've had these systems on different cars for about 8 years and in all cases there are times when you need to override / cancel them. Having got used to them though they have all been very good overall and I personally would have them again. Yes ACC is definitely no substitute for driver concentration; not sure I like the idea of it in driverless cars!

I've found vehicles fitted with ACC to be fatiguing on longer journeys. I realise that is incredibly subjective and just one perspective but it put me off. I've tried two Californias for several days each, one with and one without, and I found the latter to be a more relaxing place to be. I tried the system on a Q5 for a month, same issue. Maybe it's just me :talktothehand

I've found vehicles fitted with ACC to be fatiguing on longer journeys. I realise that is incredibly subjective and just one perspective but it put me off. I've tried two Californias for several days each, one with and one without, and I found the latter to be a more relaxing place to be. I tried the system on a Q5 for a month, same issue. Maybe it's just me :talktothehand

Your not alone. I hate it...!!!
Another expensive gimmick for Volkswagen to market and sell.

I found it to be to sluggish and almost stressful to use compared to standard cruise.

We did over 20k km this summer and didn't have those issues.
Simply have to avoid using it in messy traffic or on too curvy roads. The advantages are insane.
It is a magic in slow going traffic jams. Where you can spend hours constantly tracking the vehicle in front.
That system does that for you so you watch around safely and relax.
The sensitivity and distance can be set up in options.

^^^^^
Are you the guy that holds up traffic in lane 3, waiting for your ACC to re-engage...???

Well we now know who'll be buying the 1st Self Drive California, and it won't be me!:thumb

Well we now know who'll be buying the 1st Self Drive California, and it won't be me!:thumb
But think of the advantages when cycling. Get to where you are going and just call up the van to come and collect you. Even better if the weather changes for the worse and you blow a tyre.

Looking forward to testing mine when I get it but it seems to me that the dangers lie in thinking of it as Automatic Cruise Control which it's not. It requires driver intervention as cruise control does, just less frequently. I can see the dangers if blindly used but its progress and can be switched off just like many other driver aids.
Be interesting to see if I change my opinion when I use it

Mike

Looking forward to testing mine when I get it but it seems to me that the dangers lie in thinking of it as Automatic Cruise Control which it's not. It requires driver intervention as cruise control does, just less frequently. I can see the dangers if blindly used but its progress and can be switched off just like many other driver aids.
Be interesting to see if I change my opinion when I use it

Mike
Exactly, Mike. You do not engage it and disengage your driving brain. I used it on the hire and it was great, a relaxing drive. I had it set to the furthest distance and set to economy when recovering.

Can the adaptive cruise be set up to work like standard cruise control with driver controlled distance should you not want the 'adaptive' element? Would seem to be the best of both worlds if this is the case.

Want to be in control ? But you have auto transmission ? I also like to be in control therefore drive manual transmission..
ACC is great , would never buy CC without ACC . And you retain control , just need to know when better not to use it (in town, at roundabouts..) It saves you a lot of fuel on long trips, keeps your speed constant uphill and downhill and no worry about speed limits.

ACC does not hit the breaks unless extreme situation, the break lights do not light up. The car behind must keep its distance so it can slow down in time, that is just what ACC is doing for me..

Last edited:
Want to be in control ? But you have auto transmission ? I also like to be in control therefore drive manual transmission..
ACC is great , would never buy CC without ACC . And you retain control , just need to know when better not to use it (in town, at roundabouts..) It saves you a lot of fuel on long trips, keeps your speed constant uphill and downhill and no worry about speed limits.

But isn't it almost a £1k option...???
It would need to save a lot of fuel before coming cost effective. Plus, I still don't like how it works. I can't remember, but does it gradually slow you down when approaching a car in front or does it apply brakes...???

Back