Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Our new T6.1 Ocean carpets are soaked!!

T

theosmonds

Vehicle
Cali now sold
So after all the bad weather we decided to go for a trip in our new Ocean today. I popped out to hook it up first thing and get the fridge going. I noticed a massive amount of condensation inside and when I stepped on the carpets between the two front seats it was soaked through with water. I put the roof up and everything dry upstairs (and still covered in plastic as we haven't been out in it yet from new!)
When checking outside I see that the front two gullies are totally full of water which is odd as it's new and no silt or leaves. I popped the covers off to expose the drainage holes and basically they're not draining. I've blown them through with compressed air and the driver one blows through but sounds like a trumpet!! Even after that it's still not draining although the other 3 are now draining fine. So I suspect that water is tracking in on the driver gully along the poorly sealed cables and for the past 3 weeks of us not using it due to bad weather it's been slowly flooding the front of the vehicle. I've just spent 4 hours trying to dry the carpets with kitchen towel. There was even water behind the dash where you can reach up under the light switch!! Basically it was everywhere. :(
We are so angry after spending so much money and having not even used the vehicle for even a day trip.
So firstly, is it normal for rain to get under the rubber of the roof into these gullies when the roof hasn't been up?
As compressed air is just making a trumpet sound near the bonnet I'm guessing something is blocking or pinching the pipe enough for it not to drain. Is there anything I can do about this or is it a job for the dealer?
Any thoughts or advice welcomed. I've searched the forum and plenty of situations like this but on such a new vehicle?? It really beggars belief..

I have a similar issue on my T6 (bought just a few weeks ago), I found turning the heater on for the weekend with the front windows open slightly really helped dry them out.

I have a similar issue on my T6 (bought just a few weeks ago), I found turning the heater on for the weekend with the front windows open slightly really helped dry them out.
Yeah heater is on and side windows open. Dealer will call me back on Monday to arrange getting it in. We'll still take it for a run to the new forest this afternoon...maybe with the windows open to get some dry air into it :rolleyes:

So after all the bad weather we decided to go for a trip in our new Ocean today. I popped out to hook it up first thing and get the fridge going. I noticed a massive amount of condensation inside and when I stepped on the carpets between the two front seats it was soaked through with water. I put the roof up and everything dry upstairs (and still covered in plastic as we haven't been out in it yet from new!)
When checking outside I see that the front two gullies are totally full of water which is odd as it's new and no silt or leaves. I popped the covers off to expose the drainage holes and basically they're not draining. I've blown them through with compressed air and the driver one blows through but sounds like a trumpet!! Even after that it's still not draining although the other 3 are now draining fine. So I suspect that water is tracking in on the driver gully along the poorly sealed cables and for the past 3 weeks of us not using it due to bad weather it's been slowly flooding the front of the vehicle. I've just spent 4 hours trying to dry the carpets with kitchen towel. There was even water behind the dash where you can reach up under the light switch!! Basically it was everywhere. :(
We are so angry after spending so much money and having not even used the vehicle for even a day trip.
So firstly, is it normal for rain to get under the rubber of the roof into these gullies when the roof hasn't been up?
As compressed air is just making a trumpet sound near the bonnet I'm guessing something is blocking or pinching the pipe enough for it not to drain. Is there anything I can do about this or is it a job for the dealer?
Any thoughts or advice welcomed. I've searched the forum and plenty of situations like this but on such a new vehicle?? It really beggars belief..
I think its a dealer job and they ought to supply a replacement whist it's being sorted. Such a disappointment for you.

Take it back. No question!

And don't forget to mention that the rubber floor has chipwood as a base, so that will have soaked up water too, and I would ask for a new floor too. You can't repair soaked chipwood.
This would mean getting the whole kitchen unit out... Hmm, don't know what is better. Leaving the floor as it is, or having the kitchen unit out?

Had it on mine after a week, couple years back, dealer can sort fairly easy but alarming nonetheless to see water pouring inside. Various posts on this but the long front drains can get blocked, pine needles in my case as just the right size to fit the holes. Keep edge of roof clear as poss of debris. I placed small sections of gauze in front of drain holes held by the plastic covers, seems to have worked since and I just occasionally rinse the gauze inserts of crap. Air compressor can is good for the rear drains but must be a risk you just blow debris down to cause a block of front drains esp em.. pine needles

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Had it on mine after a week, couple years back, dealer can sort fairly easy but alarming nonetheless to see water pouring inside. Various posts on this but the long front drains can get blocked, pine needles in my case as just the right size to fit the holes. Keep edge of roof clear as poss of debris. I placed small sections of gauze in front of drain holes held by the plastic covers, seems to have worked since and I just occasionally rinse the gauze inserts of crap. Air compressor can is good for the rear drains but must be a risk you just blow debris down to cause a block of front drains esp em.. pine needles

Ps in your case of new van the drain probably not fitted properly but dealer will sort

Ps in your case of new van the drain probably not fitted properly but dealer will sort

Despite wet socks we still took it to Bolderwood in the new forest this afternoon. I’m glad we did as despite the leak it’s a lovely bit of kit and we had a great afternoon. Adaptive cruise is bloody brilliant!

I think I would consider rejecting the vehicle. You said water is behind the dashboard too? Who knows what problems you are storing up for yourself further down the line.

That’s very disappointing, I’m so sorry.
I too would look at rejecting the vehicle. It’s poor quality assurance checks on Volkswagens behalf.

With the expense of these things, Volkswagen must ensure they are fit for purpose, no question, no excuses.
What you have experienced, simply is not good enough.

It's just beyond 30 days unfortunately so I need to give the dealer the chance to resolve it.

What a shame. It should be totally rejected. However it is not irredeemable. Once the drains are cleared and the van dried out then it may be ok. One of the problems with a large vehicle like the Cali is that a small amount of water can generate a lot of condensation that gives the impression of water everywhere, especially when it has been running down that big windscreen.

Hopefully sorting the drains out will resolve the problem, please let us know how you go on. As you say, a brilliant bit of kit :)

Awful after spending so much money, do you get a 4 year warranty or can it be bumped to 5. If it can go to 5 I would ask the dealer to give you the extension so you know you have no worries with any problems the water ingress may have caused. Make sure the dealer logs the problem.

Obviously the dealer needs to sort this but once fixed be careful when cleaning the drains. The drain pipes are joined to the rubber bits on the roof with nothing more than a push fit. If you are too enthusiastic you can easily disconnect the two and end with another leak.

I think its a dealer job and they ought to supply a replacement whist it's being sorted. Such a disappointment for you.
So stressful for you, we once had a Mercedes which dropped a valve into the piston at 1 week old , the dealer insisted in doing the engine up but eventually we rejected the car as not fit for purpose, a stressful experience!
Maybe talk to VW direct

So stressful for you, we once had a Mercedes which dropped a valve into the piston at 1 week old , the dealer insisted in doing the engine up but eventually we rejected the car as not fit for purpose, a stressful experience!
Maybe talk to VW direct
This is the first new vehicle I've had any issues with but also the most complicated in terms of build and bits to go wrong I'm guessing. Its no doubt a trivial issue to fix once found, but it just taints the new owner experience a tad. We took it out for another spin this morning to get a living area floor mat for it and it still makes us grin when we get in. If I handed it back now our 2 year old would not let us hear the end of it. ;) anyway, it's mostly dried out and no visible signs of damage. Everything looks to be fine thankfully but I'll ensure the dealer has a good check. Still looking forward to having our first weekend away in it once fixed!

This is the first new vehicle I've had any issues with but also the most complicated in terms of build and bits to go wrong I'm guessing. Its no doubt a trivial issue to fix once found, but it just taints the new owner experience a tad. We took it out for another spin this morning to get a living area floor mat for it and it still makes us grin when we get in. If I handed it back now our 2 year old would not let us hear the end of it. ;) anyway, it's mostly dried out and no visible signs of damage. Everything looks to be fine thankfully but I'll ensure the dealer has a good check. Still looking forward to having our first weekend away in it once fixed!
Genuinely admire your positive outlook.

and if it is a blocked drainage tube, warranty won't cover it.
This can not be right. A month or so old. there must be a warranty issue. Our 1st van 2012 to 2016 and our second van 2016 to current never had a blockage. What would have blocked it in that short time if just a blockage - something introduced in the manufacture? A great advert for A nee T6.1

I'd still get a dehumidifier in it overnight to make sure all the moisture has gone and not causing corrosion.

I had to do this when I cleaned the sears in my car with a rug doctor recently, it's really nondrying weather right now.

I'd still get a dehumidifier in it overnight to make sure all the moisture has gone and not causing corrosion.

I had to do this when I cleaned the sears in my car with a rug doctor recently, it's really nondrying weather right now.
So the rain has come again and with it more water on the inside. Definitely drivers A pillar. Pulling out the side privacy blind and it's got water drops on it. Was a very tight fit but managed to squeeze the front third of the cali under our car port to give it shelter. Soaked up most of the water from wheel arch carpet with kitchen towel and large silicon bead bag thing and checked on it an hour later and it seems OK.
Thanks for the suggestion. I've got it on hook up now and have a new dehumidifier running. Heater has been running for several hours each day since Sat morning but switched it off now I'm not able to keep an eye on it.

This can not be right. A month or so old. there must be a warranty issue. Our 1st van 2012 to 2016 and our second van 2016 to current never had a blockage. What would have blocked it in that short time if just a blockage - something introduced in the manufacture? A great advert for A nee T6.1
I agree Meoncoast. It doesn't make sense to me. We got on really well with the sales chap we dealt with and felt he went the extra mile to get us a good deal but after speaking with service, I'm left wondering if I really want them to handle the issue or if I should take it somewhere else. :confused:

Back