Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

outdoor cooking

buster

buster

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Her indoors wants to order me a stove for cooking outside the Cali for Christmas.she is fed up with the smell of sausages in the van. Which one are you lot using :?: any reccomendations
Cheers buster

That looks good does it take up much room :?:

buster said:
...does it take up much room :?:
Not, not really, all parts fit inside each other/the large wok on top, and the stands fold together. We got in in a nice bag that is about 35 cm diameter and 20 cm high.

Thanks for your help bart :thumb

I would also recommend the Cadac Safari Chef. Great bit of kit. The BBQ function is surprisingly good. Packs away efficiently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

we've got one of these. One word - brilliant

T4WFA said:
No need to complicate things if you are just cooking sausages. One of these http://www.millets.co.uk/equipment/102145-campingaz-camp-bistro-stove.html
They are cheap (£15 or less), light, take up little space, and save carrying a spare gas bottle (as they keep you cooking until you can find a refill).

We carry a pair of these stoves plus two cast iron skillets with folding handles.

1612.302typhoon_square_chargriller_with_folding_handle.jpg

Used for years now and can cook everything from asparagus picked in the fields next to the van, fillet steak with pepper sauce to the good old english fried breakfast.

Great suggestions guys keep them coming :thumb

We now use one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Campingaz-Campi ... =Campingaz

You can get legs for this which clip into the bottom when not in use so it saves either squatting on the ground or risk making a mess of your Cali table.
We use the small Gaz bottle which doubles up as a reserve for Cali cooker.

We have used the Cadac and the Bistro stove in the past but as we nearly always want two burners the carting the Cadac and the Bistro around was wasting space in the van.
Still use all the cooking bits off the Cadac though, especially the big wokky thing.

Now that I have a Cadac for outdoor cooking, thought i’d bone up on some recipes.

Primus Tupike good

takes all kinds of different gas canisters
Summers gently
Nice and stable on the table
Faantastic build quality

Decent price for a Primus Tupike

Hi @Alied and @kp64zl,
The Primus stove has caugh my eye since I’ve been sketching my pull-out kitchen idea. Are they really better than the Campingaz stoves? Do you know what its pros are?
Thanks!

Hi @Alied and @kp64zl,
The Primus stove has caugh my eye since I’ve been sketching my pull-out kitchen idea. Are they really better than the Campingaz stoves? Do you know what its pros are?
Thanks!
Much better than campingaz

1) better simmer control
2) can attach virtually any cylinder via adapters
3) much better build quality

I’ve looked at these biolite fires as a fire pit alternative. Expensive and a big lump to carry but looks great and deals with smoke. Mrs thinks it looks ridiculous though (and sighs whenever I talk about yet another fire pit) and I’ve never pushed the button.
Do you have one?

I’ve looked at these biolite fires as a fire pit alternative. Expensive and a big lump to carry but looks great and deals with smoke. Mrs thinks it looks ridiculous though (and sighs whenever I talk about yet another fire pit) and I’ve never pushed the button.
Do you have one?
Hi, in same position as you, I would love to buy one for the collection!

Think the Biolite should work well as we bought a 2nd hand Lotus Grill BBQ about 5 years ago for £30 (and purchased a lid for last year) which works on same principle with the fan. The fan means its up to cooking temp in about 5mins which is great if we head down the beach after work in the summer for a quick SUP + BBQ after.

We use one of these for a firepit at the moment, as easy to move around when burning (with heatproof gloves!) if the wind/smoke shifts. 1643371038039.png

Hi, in same position as you, I would love to buy one for the collection!

Think the Biolite should work well as we bought a 2nd hand Lotus Grill BBQ about 5 years ago for £30 (and purchased a lid for last year) which works on same principle with the fan. The fan means its up to cooking temp in about 5mins which is great if we head down the beach after work in the summer for a quick SUP + BBQ after.

We use one of these for a firepit at the moment, as easy to move around when burning (with heatproof gloves!) if the wind/smoke shifts. View attachment 88619
Well we're cut from the same cloth. I've got a hofats crate - a bit smaller than yours but very useful as a crate, stool, firepit and BBQ
1643392228969.png

Much better than campingaz

1) better simmer control
2) can attach virtually any cylinder via adapters
3) much better build quality
Thanks for your reply. It’s good to know the cylinder is kind of ‘standard’.

I've been watching the Primus Tupike for sometime, Funky Leisure sell it cheaper than anywhere at £199 but today they're giving 10% with a Black Friday discount so I've bought one at £180. It's £240 at most other places!

Hope this helps any other wavering outdoor cooking fans!!!!!!!!

We've defaulted to the Campingaz chef mainly as it folds down pretty flat to fit into the top of the Really Useful Box in the back. We can also run it off the 904/907 we carry as a spare.

Following on from this thread, I tried my new Primus Tupike for the first time. I have to say it's absolutely outstanding. Exceptionally well made, a doddle to clean and ignites first time in seconds unlike the Cali hob!

Following on from this thread can you connect outdoor stoves directly to the Campinggaz 907 bottle or do I need a regulator thingy? I've got the Primus Tupike which I think is super btw!