Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Outer Hebrides calling

H

Hebridean

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hello everyone I’m a new member from the Isle of Lewis who intends buying a new Coast next year, and will no doubt be picking members brains over the next few months.
We’re buying as no doubt like many others the children have flown the coup and having the van would allow us to get away when we’ve time off work and holidays. We’re very familiar with the Hebrides being outdoorsy types and well used to the challenging changeable weather.
Should any members require any advice on the region I’d be more than happy to oblige.

Hello everyone I’m a new member from the Isle of Lewis who intends buying a new Coast next year, and will no doubt be picking members brains over the next few months.
We’re buying as no doubt like many others the children have flown the coup and having the van would allow us to get away when we’ve time off work and holidays. We’re very familiar with the Hebrides being outdoorsy types and well used to the challenging changeable weather.
Should any members require any advice on the region I’d be more than happy to oblige.
Hi @Hebridean We have recently returned from a holiday in the Outer Hebrides and had a great time. Travelled the well trodden route from Castlebay up to Stornoway, enjoyed fabulous views and took in some history but probably missed a lot. We’ll be back.

It's been a few years since we last had our van up in the Outer Hebrides wrigglling either from the north to the south or the south to the north. Great place. Loved Uig Bay (we get smoked salmon from Uig Lodge Smokery sent every Christmas and to all our relatives down in England. It's the best. Since we were up there last I think they've built and opened a restaurant next to their amazing-looking house/castle overlooking Uig Beach?

In the last few years in the Outer Hebrides we understand there's been established a number of sensibly-developed sites for camping and campervans.
A heads up for any of these would be really helpful if you're able. I think we plan a trip up there early next year.

btw Paul Lucas' film "Where you're meant to be" 2016 has some interesting footage of our younger son playing the guitar and a fiddler in a weaving shed next to Luskentyre Beach with the weaver supplying the rythym from him weaving away.
3 min teaser with the clip in question 1min15secs in if you're interested ...

Welcome, it’s a great place to live and own a California. We’ve travelled to the Outer Hebrides a number of times, such a beautiful area.

It's been a few years since we last had our van up in the Outer Hebrides wrigglling either from the north to the south or the south to the north. Great place. Loved Uig Bay (we get smoked salmon from Uig Lodge Smokery sent every Christmas and to all our relatives down in England. It's the best. Since we were up there last I think they've built and opened a restaurant next to their amazing-looking house/castle overlooking Uig Beach?

In the last few years in the Outer Hebrides we understand there's been established a number of sensibly-developed sites for camping and campervans.
A heads up for any of these would be really helpful if you're able. I think we plan a trip up there early next year.

btw Paul Lucas' film "Where you're meant to be" 2016 has some interesting footage of our younger son playing the guitar and a fiddler in a weaving shed next to Luskentyre Beach with the weaver supplying the rythym from him weaving away.
3 min teaser with the clip in question 1min15secs in if you're interested ...
Very brief review of where we stayed at:

Borve campsite on Barra. Great location and good facilities.Wi-Fi flaky away from amenities block. EHU. Near to Castlebay for shopping etc.

Kilbride campsite on South Uist. Good location and facilities. Nice cafe on site.

Balranald campsite on North Uist. Good location and facilities. RSPB reserve.small shop on site and some food.

Traigh Horgabost campsite on Harris. Lovely location. Basic facilities in shipping containers but functional and clean. Food van at entrance. No EHU or Wi-Fi. Close to the fabulous Luskentyre Beach.

Ardroil campsite on Lewis. Not so much a canpsite, more of a carpark with a small amenities block. Limit of 10 campervans/motorhomes per night. No EHU. Don’t be put off though, really good location by a wonderful beach.

Eilean Fraoich csmpsite on Lewis. Inland from the coast but close enough for a circular beach walk. Good facilities. EHU and Wi-Fi. Breakfast delivered to your van if ordered by 7pm previous night. Good base for exploring Lewis.

All in all, no disappointments.

Lot’s of wild camping opportunities across the islands.

Last edited:
Very brief review of where we stayed at:

Borve campsite on Barra. Great location and good facilities.Wi-Fi flaky away from amenities block. Near to Castlebay for shopping etc.

Kilbride campsite on South Uist. Good location and facilities. Nice cafe on site.

Balranald campsite on North Uist. Good location and facilities. RSPB reserve.small shop on site and some food.

Traigh Horgabost campsite on Harris. Lovely location. Basic facilities in shipping containers but functional and clean. Food van at entrance. No EHU or Wi-Fi. Close to the fabulous Luskentyre Beach.

Ardroil campsite on Lewis. Not so much a canpsite, more if a carpark with a small amenities block. Limit of 10 campervans/motorhomes per night. No EHU. Don’t be put off though, really good location by a wonderful beach.

Eilean Fraoich csmpsite on Lewis. Inland from the coast but close enough for a circular walk. Good facilities. EHU and Wi-Fi. Breakfast delivered to your van if ordered by 7pm previous night. Good base for exploring Lewis.

All in all, no disappointments.

Lot’s of wild camping opportunities across the islands.
Thanks, helpful.
The only place I recognise that we've stayed is Horgabost just up the road from Scarista House (where for a lot lot more money we've stayed a couple of times).
So I'll hunt these out on the map, thanks.

Heads up - Ben Fogle has a new series called Scotland’s Sacred Isles featuring the Outer Hebrides. Episode 1 on BBC Scotland @8pm tomorrow and on iPlayer shortly afterwards.

11BDF14A-29A5-4DD5-ABF3-FECA2EB69330.jpeg

Many thanks to you all for your warm welcome to the forums and website.
Yes the Outer hebrides are a special place most of which I've seen over the years, though yet to visit Barra. I'm a keen freshwater fisher and have camped over most of the islands with my wee lightweight tent and fly rod, with a few lochs on the west side of Lewis being my favourites holding large three pound plus wild brownies not too far from Uig lodge of smoked salmon renown. There's another nice hot smoked salmon producer in North Uist called Salar salmon, and of course there's the famous Marag Dhubh with most of the islands butchers making their own variation of it all of which are good, though we all have our favourite.
I can't really comment on camp sites never having used them, though this will change when I get the van next year and I'll be able to provide any info needed, though it seems a few members are pretty clued up on whats what here. I have a lot of images of the hebrides on this link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/48347061@N00/ if anyone is interested.
Thanks again.

Love your photographs Callum (apart from the Manchester United shirts :) ). Some fantastic shots of the Western Isles. Are you a professional photographer?

The one labelled Nepalese woman looks more Peruvian to me?

Thanks for the compliment, but no not professional just a lifelong amateur from the days of film still trying to get a handle on digital. Ha ha, yes the Man U trip was many years ago with my son who's a mad fan though I support Liverpool, though we both support Celtic.
I think you meant Tibetan woman which are snappy dressers for sure, the original punk rockers!

Many thanks for sharing your photos- they’re great! I’m sure I saw the guy cutting his grass today in Arnol as we’ve just arrived in Stornoway after weaving our way from Castlebay to Port of Ness. All I can say is ‘wow’, all islands have their own personalities and although the weather has tested our Cali (and us :)) we have loved it. Similar to the previous reply, the campsites we have used are; Borve, Scurrival, Kilbride, Balranald, Pairc Niseaboist, Sporsnis and Laxdale. Worth noting I found many campsites close end September.

Back