Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Outside lamp for rollout awning

• Thread starter cpjb@btinternet.com
  • Start date
cpjb@btinternet.com

cpjb@btinternet.com

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
When touring in France last year, one of the improvements we said we would search for the next year is more adequate lighting for sitting out and reading, playing games etc.

We didn't use electric hook up on the entire trip - found we didn't really need it and don't really want to be bothered with the hassle on future European trips. I was wondering whether a suitable option for off grid lighting is to use the inverter socket and run say a 150W lamp from it. Does anyone know whether that would drain the batteries and would it provide adequate lighting?

In my opinion if you are "off grid" the best solution would be to use a 12v led lamp .

Firstly - leds use a fraction of the power than a standard bulb uses

secondly - all inverters are not very power efficient so by not using it ie directly plugged into a rear 12v socket you will be saving battery life

hope this is some help

dave and lisa

Thanks for the advice dave and lisa.

Will see what 12v led lighting is available, and try it out ahead of the trip.

I could always use the Colman North Star lantern, but it's about as popular (not) with the wife and kids as "let's sleep with heater on low tonight" :sad

cpjb@btinternet.com said:
Thanks for the advice dave and lisa.

Will see what 12v led lighting is available, and try it out ahead of the trip.

I could always use the Colman North Star lantern, but it's about as popular (not) with the wife and kids as "let's sleep with heater on low tonight" :sad

We've got a battery led lantern which gives off loads of light and is still on its original batteries after 2 years.
We don't use it all night every night but if you're not on hookup i would've thought it would make sense especially if you took a spare set of batteries

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the tip Freeley. We'll check them out also.

i fitted L.E.D.S got them on ebay cut them to fit .i did wire it in to the rear inside light .drilled in the roof under the pop top at rear .

254347_10150215491253058_8249179_n.jpg 254347_10150215491253058_8249179_n.jpg