Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Overhead lockers

hewittd

hewittd

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
We're looking to maximize the storage potential in our beach and one thing we've recently seen are overhead lockers at the back of the van over the boot area.

These are the models I've seen :

Camperx
Evo Design
Freizeit (free time)

Has anyone used these or know of any others?

Thanks!

David

VW-T6-Zubeh%C3%B6r-458x458.jpg

Last edited:
cant answer the question but Camperx looks a nice fit

cant answer the question but Camperx looks a nice fit

The camperx looks lovely, our top choice at the moment..I fear I might have to delve into the murky waters of German language T5 forums to find some actual customer feedback. ;)

What are the camperx ones made of? Looks a lot like grp from the pictures.

Do you have a 2 or 3 seat beach?

Like the Evo Design aeroplane locker hinge down idea for ease of access. Camper x looks nicely made and from aluminium so OEM look.
Evo design would need to be adapted to fit the Beach side trim I think.
Maxcamp do a simple shelf for there. Open access with a net front
http://www.maxxcamp.de/en/options-and-equipment/storing/index.php

Thanks! I was looking on the Maxxcamp website but couldn't find this :embarrased

I also like the Evo design locker hinge down idea, I just worry about it being loaded up and then hitting a bump in the road somewhere and it opening up and spreading it's contents around..but maybe I'm completely wrong - which is why I'd be interested to hear from customers. Thinking about it I should maybe also post on the "other forums" ;)

I'm still leaning towards the Camperx because of the OEM feel - not cheap though..

What are the camperx ones made of? Looks a lot like grp from the pictures.

My guess would be some sort of aluminium composite panel such as dibond.

Wondered about trying to made some bits from dibond but not sure how to do the joints or finish the edges.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have the Maxxcamp one, bit disappointed because it's very very small, haven't found any good application so far. I also had a hard time fixing it in my 2014 Beach, but I have two left hands.

maxxcamp site "In the practical Rear Roof Storage Compartment, fitted with surrounding elastic net, you can store various lighter items such as clothing, pillows, etc." I think they mean gloves and inflatable pillows.... It's just 4-5 cms.

maxxcamp site "In the practical Rear Roof Storage Compartment, fitted with surrounding elastic net, you can store various lighter items such as clothing, pillows, etc." I think they mean gloves and inflatable pillows.... It's just 4-5 cms.

Thanks for the feedback. I like the looks of it, it looks "integrated" not something lashed together from some spare ikea parts.

I think it would best if I try and view these shelfs at a show or retailer...which is easier said than done...

Thanks again!

I'm in Belgium. It looks good indeed, as all recent Maxxcamp stuff. I would have made it a bit higher, they just have to provide longer screws. I'll tell them.

Just looked at in in the van, could be at least 10 cm wider as well to make it more useful. Every cm counts, doesn't it?

We spent a long time looking into overhead lockers. Even went so far as to buy an SE overhead locker to fit in our 3 seater beach but then realised the children spend a lot of time on the multiflex if it's wet just reading or on the computer tucked behind the seat backrest and we didn't want to lose the headroom but still need somewhere for PJ's, kindles and all the odds and ends that seem to get thrown on the dash every night!

We have decided to go for the window storage bags so we have extra storage during summer months when we often have the rear shades down anyway to keep the temperature inside the vehicle cooler and easily remove them at the end of our camping season when we want more light in the van. Perhaps something else to consider?

http://www.california-camping.de/da...ornia-beach.html?___store=en&___from_store=de

window storage bags.jpg

Cleve we are also considering the window bags for our new beach when it arrives in about 6 weeks, so we would be interested in your opinion of them if you end up getting them.
We currently use the overhead locker in our SE exactly as you say - nightwear, books, iPads etc

Hi Cleve have you ordered a set? Wondered if they had stock, as I looked at these last year but they were out of stock. However I would like to get a set ordered. There is someone on the Forum who is already using a set but I cant rememeber who that is. They look very good quality.

We spent a long time looking into overhead lockers. Even went so far as to buy an SE overhead locker to fit in our 3 seater beach but then realised the children spend a lot of time on the multiflex if it's wet just reading or on the computer tucked behind the seat backrest and we didn't want to lose the headroom but still need somewhere for PJ's, kindles and all the odds and ends that seem to get thrown on the dash every night!

We have decided to go for the window storage bags so we have extra storage during summer months when we often have the rear shades down anyway to keep the temperature inside the vehicle cooler and easily remove them at the end of our camping season when we want more light in the van. Perhaps something else to consider?

http://www.california-camping.de/da...ornia-beach.html?___store=en&___from_store=de

View attachment 11647

thanks, we had looked into these already - but from what I can work out, they will block the view out of the wide windows for people in the rear bench? Otherwise they look ideal.

Hi Cleve have you ordered a set? Wondered if they had stock, as I looked at these last year but they were out of stock. However I would like to get a set ordered. There is someone on the Forum who is already using a set but I cant rememeber who that is. They look very good quality.

I haven't ordered a set yet as a mattress topper is next on our wish list. We have a rule in our house that any more california purchases have to be partly funded by ebay sales so I've got a bit of selling to do before I can justify these :)

They are in stock but says up to 3 weeks for delivery.

We had worried about blocking the view but as the rear seat gets pushed forward for travelling and the children often have the rear blind down to shade their tablet screens then I don't think they will notice.

Have the bags too and they are great! We have 4 kids so we need every cm. Kids don't mind, less view but more space.

We have a rule in our house that any more california purchases have to be partly funded by ebay sales
Great rule :)
It's so easy to accumulate unnecessary stuff. I also made a rule for myself, no more purchases until all the things I bought are either installed and being used (spare wheel anti-theft, bungee, battery monitor outlet are lying here for months..) or sold (VW T5 cab bunk bed - can't open a front door with the bed in place or it falls down)

As for the mattress topper - it also limits the available height if kids sit on the multiflex. I've bought an Ikea mattress topper and while it's very comfortable, it eats up a lot of space (3x7cm in height). I regret not thoroughly checking out the option of a very decent inflatable double bed (like this one https://www.decathlon.co.uk/arpenaz-air-pump-inflatable-camping-sleeping-bed-140-cm-id_8299065.html ) but perhaps with an integrated 12v pump. If it makes to much noise, inflate it when children go to bed, and fold it on the multiplex like you would with the topper.

Great rule :)
It's so easy to accumulate unnecessary stuff. I also made a rule for myself, no more purchases until all the things I bought are either installed and being used (spare wheel anti-theft, bungee, battery monitor outlet are lying here for months..) or sold (VW T5 cab bunk bed - can't open a front door with the bed in place or it falls down)
cab bunks always in high demand on the vwt4forum if you're looking to sell. We use a kids self inflating mattress across the seats but now looking into making something like the cambee cab bunk with a bit of board and memory foam:

http://www.cambee.co.uk/blog/campervan-child-bunk/
Campervan-child-bunk.jpg

As for the mattress topper - it also limits the available height if kids sit on the multiflex. I've bought an Ikea mattress topper and while it's very comfortable, it eats up a lot of space (3x7cm in height). I regret not thoroughly checking out the option of a very decent inflatable double bed (like this one https://www.decathlon.co.uk/arpenaz-air-pump-inflatable-camping-sleeping-bed-140-cm-id_8299065.html ) but perhaps with an integrated 12v pump. If it makes to much noise, inflate it when children go to bed, and fold it on the multiplex like you would with the topper.

We looked at those but weren't overly impressed and the dimensions didn't quite work for us. We currently use a 2" king size memory foam topper which is great as it's flexible enough to roll/fold or just drape over the seat back whilst giving us extra comfort on the lower bed. My husband is the one wanting to get a proper mattress but I just hope it isn't another purchase that takes up too much space!!

picking up this thread again as www.california-camping.de now do an overhead locker for the beach and apparently new and improved window bags will be back in stock in May.

We have bought some window bags from someone on the forum so looking forward to seeing how we get on with them if we ever get our beach back from the garage to fit them! Hopefully we will have them in situ for the bank holiday weekend but have a cali cozy to fit first :)

I've pre-ordered one and am waiting for their window bags as well. Not the cheapest accessoires.. but I think it's worth it. Easy access storage space...

I've pre-ordered one and am waiting for their window bags as well. Not the cheapest accessoires.. but I think it's worth it. Easy access storage space...

About to order one as well, as you said - not the cheapest but a great space gain with no loss.

Not looking forward to the drilling part of the installation though...:Nailbiting

That's a good solutions. We are 5 with vanEssa bags. I'm thinking about the overhead: in the t4 california it was great.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk