Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Overnight Ferry to Caen & Beyond

T6 CFO

T6 CFO

Mike
Top Poster
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Finally got our lives in order and booked the overnight ferry from Portsmouth to Caen on 5th September. One way with no return date.
Hopefully by that time booking will not be required anywhere and there should still be enough open.
Plan is to have no plan and follow the weather and our instinct. If we find somewhere we like it might be feet up and out with our books and the red wine. If not we move on.
Taking two bikes, one with panniers so we can do some shopping, reluctantly the road bike stays at home this time.

Mike

Last edited:
Sounds like a superb not-a-plan to me - though only seven more accessory shopping weeks left. Best get cracking!

Have fun.

You could join us in the champagne region on the 15-18th....;)
See banner on top!

You could join us in the champagne region on the 15-18th....;)
See banner on top!
Hi Wim, We quite possibly might. It's part of the rough plan. If we end up staying in France I shall be dumping some Euros in your Paypal account and seeing you for a glass or two

Mike

Exciting - wish I had the sort of time you do. Ah well just a few more years hopefully...... Until then it'll continue to be frantic dashes trying to cram far too much into far too little time. looking forward to sharing it with you through the forum.

Started our trip Tuesday arriving in Caen this morning on overnight ferry from Portsmouth.

Stopped for our first cup of tea and a jam butty by the banks of the river La Sarthe near Juille.

84507e9857a5a85b1690a1809be938c3.jpg

Took a non toll route heading towards Saumur and the Loire.

Mike

http://mikeandjanes.blogspot.co.uk

Last edited:
Sounds like my idea of heaven. Not many years to go and we'll be able to buy a one way ticket and wing it too. Isn't it a shame that we have to wait so long to finally REALLY enjoy the fruits of our labour. We're so close I can smell it now .....

OK as has been done before I'll post my impressions on a few issues whilst on our first proper trip.

Into day 12 and blog covers our route for anyone interested.

First issue was the water do you use it or do you not.

I didn't think we would, certainly for drinking and Jane most certainly didn't. Well following comments on here and our desire to wild camp and use Aires we decided to give it a try.
Before leaving I went through the tank cleaning process three times and added in the Katadyn water purification you can get from the club shop.
Weight wise and fuel economy wise it's an extra 30 litres so 30kg, the weight of a small child. Carrying the water is much easier and the MPG will be what it will be.

Day 12 now and the only thing we have bought to drink is red wine and coffee. Will be our third fill up tomorrow and we are both fine.
When we are on a campsite we use the facilities and we don't use the sink to wash up in if somewhere else as I don't want or need to be risking blocking the sink. We have a collapsable bucket and tend to put a squirt of washing up liquid in that and then stick dirty stuff in that as we go and then top up with water and do the washing up outside.
On one occasion we parked for the night in a motorway services. They had the parking area screened by trees and it was excellent. Shower for €2 in the services.
Toilet issues - With just the two of us and sleeping up top we have had no issues. Again facilities on site and when not available it's the chemical toilet. Number ones only but then we've been lucky or timed our systems accordingly

That's the plumbing issues and just a general note on our plan to have no plan. I have to say it has been very successful, not everyone can do it but especially if you are just a couple I would highly recommend it. Time of year obviously makes a difference as getting into sites and Aires has been no problem and we have been able to seek out the weather we prefer by heading South. Basically from Caen we meandered South turned right into Spain and San Sebastián intending to go along the North Coast to some sites and locations recommended on another thread. Temperature and advice from fellow campers has us travelling down through central Spain to the West of Madrid. Currently in Salamanca and still heading South. Destination in the short term is Seville and then onto Southern Portugal as weather there is mid to high 20's which we find just right.
Will post in the future on some techie elements on satnav, finding sites, and what an absolutely brilliant drive a Cali is.

Probably a good point to thank those on here I got tips from. I've not been short of any kit we might have needed and used everything I have except the breakdown kit which I don't want to use.

Edit:- Slight change to route. Short term now is Caceres - Córdoba - Seville - Huelva - Portugal.

Mike

Last edited:
I do believe we've found the perfect pitch on the perfect site.
Can't see us moving for a week or so unless there is a drastic change in the weather.
This is the view from our pitch.
1dfe1b6be7ea4f648d5c81de3a91fabd.jpg

Blog says it all for those interested in this neck of the woods.
(South of Granada in the Sierra Nevada)

Fantastic base for keen cyclists with epic climbs. Didn't bring my road bike on this trip but will when I return which I surely will.

Mike

With a quick search on here I stumbled across an old thread by @BerndRos which resulted in a lovely couple of days in his neck of the woods in Southern Portugal. Many thanks and shows the value of the BB and sharing our knowledge. Ta

Mike

Died and gone to heaven. Just us and camped up in the corner of a car park in Burgau SW Portugal.

82c6ea076eff2ea86ff2afddab7a1876.jpg

Not an official Aires but complete with loos and showers in a block for beach users. Stunning beach.
View from the beach of Molly.
925e238f4769b98fa994f09734464e27.jpg

Mike

Blog says it all. Holed up for the night in a hotel in the Picos mountains after a blow out on the A66 South of Leon, Spain.
Good news was the Cali handled well.
Bad news is I need a Bridgestone turanza 235/55r17 103h and my Spanish is not good.
I shall be trying to find one as I travel through the rest of Spain and then up through France.
I suspect my best bet is to ask VW Assist if they can check there garages in France for me. Hopefully be easier than I think.
Will probably get the new one put on the wrecked one and the one on the steel spare which is new on the other rear alloy and put that one on the spare.
Scissor jack was useless on the sloping side of s Spanish motorway. Bottle jack on my shopping list.

Tomorrow's other task is to get the knackered one slung back under the Cali.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I had a play on Bridgestone's dealer locator, looks like they have plenty of stockists. Tho I'd be tempted just to call VW as you're planning to do!

Ha, ha, trying to conjure up the Spanish for you, not getting very far. (-:

I had a play on Bridgestone's dealer locator, looks like they have plenty of stockists. Tho I'd be tempted just to call VW as you're planning to do!

Ha, ha, trying to conjure up the Spanish for you, not getting very far. (-:

Thanks Jay. Got to admit my head was a bit scrambled with a slopping crumbling hard shoulder, impatient Guardia, dealing with phone, tow bar bike rack with two bikes, sparesafe lock, getting to everything in the back and then it rained. Removing the spare is a ruddy test, suggest it's something worth practising if your daft enough to attempt it. There is a nack to it which I now have.
No way was mechanic going to stick my punctured wheel back under the Cali and I scored the damned alloy when I tried under the conditions. Cross with myself but got to be a result it didn't end up worse.
I'll speak to VW in the morning.

Mike

I took mine off when it was new & that was hard enough, on my drive & it was clean.

Be ok. Bing translate is good...

Getting the wheel back in the spare holder is indeed a bit tricky. Almost impossible without jacking the van up so you can open the tray wide enough to push the wheel back in. I imagine trying to do it with a blown out tyre would be even trickier. I kept my punctured tyre and wheel on the kitchen floor for two days until it was fixed to avoid having to keep getting it out and putting it back in the sling. Passengers had to make do with a slightly uncomfortable footrest.

We came back via Caen last weekend and was shocked by all the migrants there, I thought this just occured at the Eastern channel ports. We used to camp up at the ferry terminal but we did not feel very secure there :(

Mike, this may help.
https://www.feuvert.fr/pneu/bridgestone/r2711.html
https://www.feuvert.fr/StoreLocator?r=/
Couple in Bayonne which I guess is on your way back
Feu Vert are the Halfords of France.
We have used them few times and they have been pretty good.

Your a star. I'm currently here
a4035dbfd7be3782067162473a1dddc8.jpg

making my way towards Caen but probably a few days in Brittany with a relative.
VW euro Assist tell me that Bridgestone no longer make the tyre on my Cali and therefore can only put two similar ones on. Two min research from your links shows that's rubbish.
I'll check out the links and try to find one.
Mine are Bridgestone turanza ER300
235/55r17 103v

Thanks for your help

Mike

Just to close this off. After far to much thought I opted to wait until my return to the UK and replace the tyre like for like rather than start making the switch to all weather tyres. Was considering using one as a spare and then over time switching the other four.
I ordered the tyre from tyreleader.co.uk and despite VW Assist sourcing division saying they are no longer made one is being shipped to me, ironically from Salamanca in Spain about 100 miles from where I got the blowout.

NB: VW Assist customer care was excellent. Just there sourcing info was wrong.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro