Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Oztent - better than the Khyam?

G

Giles Stone

VIP Member
The Khyam Motordome seems to be the awning tent of choice according to Forum members, but I havent seen much discussion on the Oztent RV series: http://uk.oztent.com/products/viewProduct.asp?productid=120

These tents seem to have a lot going for them:

Have an awning that can go over a raised tailgate and can be used with the awning attachment - so a choice to use at the side or rear of the vehicle
Optional zip-on side panels, so can be used 'open', with one side open or fully enclosed.
Fast to erect (they claim 30 seconds)
Seem to be well made with high quality materials (which for the price I would expect to include gold thread and diamond tipped tent pegs)
Can be used standalone or as a 'driveaway'

Major downsides are perhaps:
Packed length (1.6m for the RV1) - but then again it will fit in a roofbox
Although it is sold with a connector (they call it a 'caravan connector'), the vertical sides wont make for a wind or water tight fit up against the vehicle.
Price

Has anyone any experience using these with a Cali? Have I fallen for the hype and missed something obvious?

Thoughts appreciated ..

I bought a Khyam Motordome driveaway thing and used it a few times before I threw it away. There were two reasons: first, I decided the driveaway concept was not what I wanted; second, the stand alone tent simply couldn't stand up to the West of Scotland wind and rain that we spend a lot of our time in :) . There was just too much spray and drips. It is simply an inferior product.

I then bought an OzTent RV2. There is an attachment facility that I've never used. I use the RV2 as a stand alone. It is as ugly as hell in shape and colour but it is bullet proof to wind and rain and very easy to put up (30 secs plus a few minutes to sort out guys, the awning and th windows).

The RV2 cost twice as much as the Khyam thing but you'll not find it in the Dawsholm Recycling facility in Glasgow where the Kyham (not even sure how to spell it) was taken.

The new Jet tents made by OzTent look brilliant and (unlike the old fashioned RVs which have an internal frame) have an exoframe. The fabric is not Australian made cotton like the RVs which is one of their main selling points but 'Asian' mulimaterial which will not be as good probably (I read in a review somewhere).

We pretend our RV2 is a set of cross country skis and fit its 1.6m length in the slot between the sliding bench drawer under the back seat and the fridge. The gap that's leftwhen the appropriate panel is taken out JUST allows the RV2 in its waterproof carrybag to be pushed through. This is the only nuisance. It will probably be easier out of the bag I've just thought.

I saw an RV4 on Skye last fall with a Defender pulled in under the awning (a Dutch couple) and asked them whether they had tricky bits to attach the RV4 to their wagon. They fell about like the aliens off the Smash ad - and we immediately bonded :)

We have just bought the oztent RV2 and intend trying it out for the first time this weekend. We bought it mainly on Barry's pictures and recommendations - someone else from Glasgow can't be wrong. We bought it as my husband has no patience in putting up awnings. It fits along the side of the wardrobe and fridge if we pull the bench seat forward.

Hi Susan,

I have been considering the RV2 as well but was worried about how difficult it would be to squeeze along side the wardrobe and fridge so would be interested to see how you get on..did you also go for the caravan connector ?

We are also considering the new Kampa mini pod since it connects well to the awning and has a built in groundsheet (and it's only two poles to put up).

We too have just purchased an RV2.

Like our beloved Vanorak it seems to be "Irnbru" = "Made from girders"!

Using it next week on Gower Peninsula & Pembrokeshire - promise to report.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

a side effect of buying an RV tent is that with the odd colour and the odd shape, other campers think you're a (failed) undercover army squad ...

Fitted fine along the side of wardrobe and fridge with seat pulled forward. Went up really easily, but took a bit longer putting away as it was wet and I wanted to dry it. We didn't buy a connector as intend to use it as stand alone. So really pleased with it - not fussed about the colour Barry as hubby ex army so well used to khaki!

Hi Susan, how did you find the size of the RV2. Could one squeeze 2 adults and one 11 year old in it when eating for example, or is it really only big enough for 2 ?

In my endless trawling for different options I stumbled across another one...the DWT Cubus, check it out.

I would say you could only sleep 2 comfortably in it but plenty room for 4 to eat round the table.

susan said:
We have just bought the oztent RV2 and intend trying it out for the first time this weekend. We bought it mainly on Barry's pictures and recommendations - someone else from Glasgow can't be wrong. We bought it as my husband has no patience in putting up awnings. It fits along the side of the wardrobe and fridge if we pull the bench seat forward.

Just tried it with the back seat as far forward as it goes and the R2 fits fine as you say. I'm embarassed to say and can't believe I've never tried it like that before!

Younger son and his partner, their 2 year old and 4 week old are taking it to Arran next week (with two friends from sunny Brasil sleeping in the R2) so your suggested storing arrangements will be a godsend.

Still embarassed though ...

barry said:
susan said:

Just tried it with the back seat as far forward as it goes and the R2 fits fine as you say. I'm embarassed to say and can't believe I've never tried it like that before!

Younger son and his partner, their 2 year old and 4 week old are taking it to Arran next week (with two friends from sunny Brasil sleeping in the R2) so your suggested storing arrangements will be a godsend.

Still embarassed though ...

I use the recessed space to fit the pram in. Mclaren fits perfectly...

Hi Barry,its just because I didn't trust my husband to take the panel off - he's brilliant at breaking things - and can now get loads more in the boot and then store it in the tent on site.

I have an RV-4 for sale, bought last year (before the cali) and used several times, I also have the sides, front and sun screen (never even been out of the bag).

This is an amazing piece of solid kit... stood up effortlessly to the worst weather I have ever camped in at Silverstone on top of a wind swept hill!!... I also woke one morning in a forty foot puddle.... again no problem!!

This is significantly bigger than the RV-2 discussed here previously at 2m long, so won't be for all!!

If you are interested, PM me.

Has anyone tried squeezing in a RV-3? I'm probably going to buy the RV-2 or Rv-3. Ideally I'd prefer the 3 as it's a good 0.4m wider when erected. when packed the 3 measures 200cm x 30cm x 15cm. Only 5cm wider than the RV-2 at 200 x 250 x 150

My friend has an Oztent they are a whole other league , very high quality

80c5b8e569cf66be128888bded56c7ca.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm happy with the long bag as it neatly slides in between the wardrobe and rear seat panel. My idea is to remove the end plastic cover and slide it through. I understand from this thread that the RV -2 fits ok, just wondered whether anybody had tried the RV3 through the gap yet?
I'll be buying the side and front panel too. Not too concerned over space as it's just the two of us most of the time.

I'm happy with the long bag as it neatly slides in between the wardrobe and rear seat panel. My idea is to remove the end plastic cover and slide it through. I understand from this thread that the RV -2 fits ok, just wondered whether anybody had tried the RV3 through the gap yet?
I'll be buying the side and front panel too. Not too concerned over space as it's just the two of us most of the time.
I recommend the fly sheet.

Back