Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

P & O Ferry and Eurotunnel rules

Gazellio

Gazellio

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
As the owner of a Beach with no kitchen or Gas my car is essentially a van with convertible beds and 13V Electricity Plugin.

When booking ferries or Eurotunnel you have to choose between Motorhome or Van over or under 6ft. Now of course a Motorhome could of course be 8+ Metres and have full kitchen and gas etc.

If you select Van over 6ft Eurotunnel tell you that your vehicle is registered as a Motorhome and suggests you change booking. I think P & O is the same.

At the moment availability for Motorhomes is VERY limited but Vans over 6ft are fine.

What should I do?

Buy a German import with no UK database record of the reg. ;)

As the owner of a Beach with no kitchen or Gas my car is essentially a van with convertible beds and 13V Electricity Plugin.

When booking ferries or Eurotunnel you have to choose between Motorhome or Van over or under 6ft. Now of course a Motorhome could of course be 8+ Metres and have full kitchen and gas etc.

If you select Van over 6ft Eurotunnel tell you that your vehicle is registered as a Motorhome and suggests you change booking. I think P & O is the same.

At the moment availability for Motorhomes is VERY limited but Vans over 6ft are fine.

What should I do?
Try Brittany ferries from Portsmouth, I have used then a lot no problems (Beech T5) They know I have a California from reg.
http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/

What should I do?

When you going? Looks like serious delays over the last few days.

I'm going in 3 weeks and have booked as a high car. Unfortunately I couldn't remember my registration at the time of booking.

Due to come back on the 1st or 2nd September so booked flexiplus on the way back. Never done it before but figured the 5 of us would probably eat and drink about 50 quids worth of complimentary food!

I book mine through Aferry.co.uk usually the lowest price and put the reg in and it comes up as California
Yea same here - no one can argue if it's a car/van/Motorhome when the actual make and model is stated at booking stage AND the price ends up being the price for a car too !

I think some have missed the point. If you put in your reg you are treated as a Motorhome and pay that price regardless of being essentially a car/van if you have a Beach. I guess its best to have a drink the night before and forget your reg number lol. High Car rather than High Van neither are right but I think you can easily justify either should you be stopped which is VERY unlikely.

PS: Annoying because putting the reg in does make travel a lot easier as it recognizes the car and auto prints your hanger letter ticket.

Last edited:
Try giving Eurotunnel a ring to do the booking, last time I did that I was asked what facilities the Beach had and ended up being classified as a high car.
Brittany Ferries seems to be based on the space your vehicle occupies on the ferry (better in my opinion). There the price doesn't seem any different campervan vs van vs motorhome if the dimensions are the same.

I think some have missed the point. If you put in your reg you are treated as a Motorhome and pay that price regardless of being essentially a car/van if you have a Beach. I guess its best to have a drink the night before and forget your reg number lol. High Car rather than High Van neither are right but I think you can easily justify either should you be stopped which is VERY unlikely.

PS: Annoying because putting the reg in does make travel a lot easier as it recognizes the car and auto prints your hanger letter ticket.
What happens if you don't put the reg in out of interest?

Nothing you simply have to check in at the machine at the gate rather than the system auto checking you in. (Type in booking number while hanging out the window...)

VW have a lot to answer for !

Back