Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Packing for different scenarios

veg_frenzy

veg_frenzy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
This may be a bit OTT, but I was thinking of creating a matrix of what is typically needed for different types for trip, from an equipment perspective (i.e. not food, clothing, etc.). Anyone else done that?
Scenarios I thinking about: Hook-up, no hook up, grass pitch, hard standing pitch, un level pitch, known to be wet weather, known to be dry weather, UK, abroad, etc.
For each scenario, I would then check off equipment items (e.g. chocks, cable, etc.).
From this, it may even be viable to pack equipment into designated boxes and then pacl collection of boxes for associated scenario.
As I side, a bit OTT!!
Happy to take any advise or a head start (if you have a matrix already). Thanks.

My Hotel California holds the basic stuff in boxes behind the rear seat and i add things in function off the trip ....
Not gonna take rubber boots in the summer as they are standard on a wintertrip.
But in general we just pack clothes and food , the most stays in the Cali at all time

Hook-up cable , levelling ramps , outside coocker, tools , ....all stay in the Cali at all time, we not use it as daily driver...

This may be a bit OTT, but I was thinking of creating a matrix of what is typically needed for different types for trip, from an equipment perspective (i.e. not food, clothing, etc.). Anyone else done that?
Scenarios I thinking about: Hook-up, no hook up, grass pitch, hard standing pitch, un level pitch, known to be wet weather, known to be dry weather, UK, abroad, etc.
For each scenario, I would then check off equipment items (e.g. chocks, cable, etc.).
From this, it may even be viable to pack equipment into designated boxes and then pacl collection of boxes for associated scenario.
As I side, a bit OTT!!
Happy to take any advise or a head start (if you have a matrix already). Thanks.
Don't worry about being OTT Jane my better half accuses me of that. I did however catch her with her Allotment spreadsheet open. It is a thing to behold. We have them for everything and I can't see the Cali being an exception.
I suspect we will get the Cali one down to day trip mode with maybe ad lib stopover and longer trip. Weather wise you have to cater for everything unless you've found somewhere I don't know about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I sort of tried but didn't really put my heart into it!
The problem I came across straight away was some items are needed on a variety of trip types but didn't want to have them in the same box/bag. so now I'm trying out loading it with gear that will stay in it permanently, puffer jacket and waterproof shell being one example.
I found myself not thinking it through so packing for 2 nights, not taking the water carrier and then not having enough water to hose myself down after a muddy run/ride, running out of tea bags, no tracksuit for the morning slouch around breakfast but enough bloody tea lights to light up the M25!

So the choice seems to come down to either duplicating items so they can be packed in both the daytrip and 3 weeks away mountain biking boxes..............

Or

reducing the contents of the boxes and categorising which boxes you need for each type of trip (that'll get down to individual items eventually !

Sounds like a good idea, but we went the other way - gave up on lists. So many variables of destination, duration, season, climate, and so on, ended up finding needed list of lists. Were also taking loads more stuff that we needed, just in case.

Now have essentials that always go (ramps, leads, basic tools, chargers, that sort of thing) nearly all of which get stored in the Cali. The rule for everything else is less is more.

Famous last words of course, but seems to work so far, and we've got loads more room in the Cali.

Confess it can be just a little challenging for the grey matter but read somewhere thats supposed to be good for you. If I remember rightly.

We try to take as less as possible and end up with a booth of shoes (walking, running and so on - shoes) :) however there are 2 boxes permanetly under the multi-board in the back, 2 sleepingbags and the rest are clothes and food.
We do have a list for the things we run out of last camping trip so we can put them back in place.
Great thing about travelling in Europe: you can buy everything you forgot.

I'm not so keen on the less is more (in the Cali), I do that when moto touring or bike packing, hiking, tent camping etc and now i have the Cali I don't have to , so i can make posh coffee, eat from "real" plates, have clothes for all occasions etc etc.
I could buy two of everything I suppose :headbang

Last edited:
We are like Hotel California. Nearly everything stays in the van year round. Fan heater and oil heater and outside thermal screen cover added in winter and that's about it. We are away so often that we really can't be bothered with packing unpacking the van all the time.
I had a colleague at work who had an Excel spreadsheet. He entered the number of days they were away, time of year and where they were going. It gave him everything, even down to the number of pants and socks he needed. :)

We have a list that has developed (grown) since we got our van in 2014, it is not a matrix for different types of sites but has most things that we need for different types of holidays. I have attached a copy so you can see how ocd you can get!

Attachments

• VW SUMMER HOLIDAY CAMPING LIST.pdf
    36.6 KB · Views: 490
I like it sbmcd - we've got similar but wow yours puts ours into the shade

Ok, off the iPad and onto the MacBook for some serious spreadsheet action!

Fully loaded, apart from some clothes and toiletries.
Daily driver. Just have to add water and toilet/clothes bag ( his n hers ).
Might leave the welly boots home when we go to Italy in August although we're going to Florence.:)

We have a list that has developed (grown) since we got our van in 2014, it is not a matrix for different types of sites but has most things that we need for different types of holidays. I have attached a copy so you can see how ocd you can get!
I particular liked the sports gear.

Mike

The only problem I can see on your sheet is WD40 and not GT85 ;) otherwise I'm going to copy and see how we go :thumb

I thought I was alone in my OCD spreadsheet mania. :bananadance

I won't attach mine cos it's too embarrassing (10 pages, landscape) but can I add a suggestion? I you use the first column for a category and the second as detail, then you can filter on type to breakdown the last to more manageable chunks. With a column for 'DONE' to further filter as you prepare for the season/trip...do I win the prize for OCD?!! :eek:
For instance:
Setup - for things you need to buy when setting up your stuff at the beginning
Turnaround - for things that need emptying and repacking every trip
On departure - things to check on leaving a site (I've made a laminated card of this info, with on arrival checklist on the other side
Longer trips - 'more shampoo', etc
Guest list -tent!
Stores, season prep, food shop,...and the categories go on!

Add dates when memberships and insurance expire (columns 3)!

Sorting then filtering on column one and DONE column is the key!

A piece of art!

I then have a notebook in the van to record my nights and adventures and note down if I have to add anything to my list for future use...highlighted in pink! Eg I had no pen in the front so I will add that to my door pouch which contains hankies, hand wash, hand lotion, etc...all you'd need to hand when pootling along on your journey!
PS I also list numbers of knickers! :thefinger

Ah hah, something I might bring out for a laugh at our gizmo spot when we have our next meet! I might add a column for 'too embarrassing' and filter out the items which are a step too far!

I won't attach mine cos it's too embarrassing (10 pages, landscape) but can I add a suggestion? I you use the first column for a category and the second as detail, then you can filter on type to breakdown the last to more manageable chunks. With a column for 'DONE' to further filter as you prepare for the season/trip...do I win the prize for OCD?!! :eek:
For instance:
On departure - things to check on leaving a site (I've made a laminated card of this info, with on arrival checklist on the other side
Guest list -tent!

A piece of art!

I then have a notebook in the van to record my nights and adventures and note down if I have to add anything to my list for future use...highlighted in pink! Eg I had no pen in the front so I will add that to my door pouch which contains hankies, hand wash, hand lotion, etc...all you'd need to hand when pootling along on your journey!

Ah hah, something I might bring out for a laugh at our gizmo spot when we have our next meet! I might add a column for 'too embarrassing' and filter out the items which are a step too far!

For instance:
Guest list -tent!

A piece of art!

Dottie, you win no question!!! I am clearly just an amateur when it comes to OCD.

After 42 years of Check lists, equipment lists flow charts etc: I don't have any. If I don't have something then I make do or do it differently or I go and buy it. I now embrace spontaneity in it's fullest.
I hope you all enjoy packing and unpacking but it's just not for me. I've even got a Kindle and iPad permanently in the Van along with a spare toothbrush.

As an aside - are the list makers retired or if working, what profession ?:thumb

After 42 years of Check lists, equipment lists flow charts etc: I don't have any. If I don't have something then I make do or do it differently or I go and buy it. I now embrace spontaneity in it's fullest.
I hope you all enjoy packing and unpacking but it's just not for me. I've even got a Kindle and iPad permanently in the Van along with a spare toothbrush.

As an aside - are the list makers retired or if working, what profession ?:thumb

In my opinion the need for a list is very much driven by how much equipment you need for the activities you enjoy, if you don’t need much equipment you probably don’t need a list. We need different equipment depending on the type of trip we are on, leaving all our equipment in the van all the time is not an option for us, not enough space.

Today I am packing my van a trailer for a long weekend classic bike racing at Cadwell Park, I have different list for that.

For instance:
Guest list -tent!

A piece of art!

Please do share.
Turnaround that's my problem, now I have a word for it!

In my opinion the need for a list is very much driven by how much equipment you need for the activities you enjoy, if you don’t need much equipment you probably don’t need a list. We need different equipment depending on the type of trip we are on, leaving all our equipment in the van all the time is not an option for us, not enough space.

Today I am packing my van a trailer for a long weekend classic bike racing at Cadwell Park, I have different list for that.
Cannot disagree. If we are using the bikes on goes the Towbar Bike rack + Bikes. Fortunately I don't need a list for that. But Basic camping is Basic Camping.

Working...financial background...oops perhaps I shouldn't admit to that...does that explain the OCD/spreadsheet mania?!
PS I'd forget the important stuff if I didn't have a list....lost my camper sized handbag....just been found in van centre! So no money til the van is picked up....no shopping for me...will have to delve into my freezer and live off camping meals just cooked last week!

I do a packing list for one-off big trips, but as per one of the posts at the top my van is a daily driver too so we've always traveled as 'minimum viable camper' eg: gas stove / kettle / bottled water / bottle of red / Duvalays / small bathroom bag / spare pants / waterproof coats etc at all times (as you never know when there might be a spontaneous sleepover on the cards :cool:).

If it's a 'definite camping trip' journey then we just add two Really Useful boxes which hold the canned food / pasta / Marmite and awning tie-downs, Thule chocks, an outdoors Gelert aluminium table, beach shelter etc & bits you don't want to lug around every day (and could live without for a night). All of that stuff is kept ready in the cellar & replenished / cleaned at each post-trip 'turnaround'.

Just then need to add bike rack & bikes plus clothes specific to that trip on top in a North Face squashy bag each.

Back