Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Paddleboard Rack/Ladder System

A

Adeybruce

Vehicle
Grand California 680
Mounting a roof rack on the GC 680 seems impossible with no roof rails, and not least it has a fibreglass roof. Even if it was possible, with the Extra High Roof loading it would not be easy. I’ve been looking around for what might be possible. In my mind is that if there is strength enough for an awning on one side of the vehicle roof, perhaps on the other side a rail could be mounted. Access to the internal panels isn’t easy (though I understand VW is quoting in Germany 4 hours work to retro-fit the awning). On the opposite side there is the bathroom, which might make a full length rail impossible without a middle bracket.
So I‘be come to the conclusion that a side mount system is the way to go, using 2 seperate mounting points on the roof. What do you think? If I got a prototype made would anyone be interested? Picture of this Sprinter shows the general idea.

825D7D4F-38F7-4CBE-B348-5BE0B2B397A6.jpeg

29A51F7D-024E-46DE-92FE-3B2FA6D65AA1.jpeg

6410057F-B689-4317-B7E0-8D792C58A347.jpeg

That surfboard in the photo looks fairly short whereas paddle board tend to be a fair bit longer (unless purely for use in surf) so may have an issue with opening the door unless the rack were mounted further back

Is this legaly allowed ?

That surfboard in the photo looks fairly short whereas paddle board tend to be a fair bit longer (unless purely for use in surf) so may have an issue with opening the door unless the rack were mounted further back
Paddle boards are often over 10 foot long, but the 680 has the length for it. The ladder would be just in front of the rear wheel, the pole would be just behind the kitchen window. Allows a gap of 5 foot, leaving just over 2.5 feet overhanging the rack at each end.

Is this legaly allowed ?
Looking into that. Here’s a reply from a post on a different forum:

Depends on the country.

In Germany a width up to 2.55m with cargo seems to be ok. And if it protrudes more than 40 cm sideways over the lights, a marking is necessary.

In Switzerland it is not allowed that a rack, even without load, protrudes beyond the vehicle. There are no possibilities for exception etc.

Mounting a roof rack on the GC 680 seems impossible with no roof rails, and not least it has a fibreglass roof. Even if it was possible, with the Extra High Roof loading it would not be easy. I’ve been looking around for what might be possible. In my mind is that if there is strength enough for an awning on one side of the vehicle roof, perhaps on the other side a rail could be mounted. Access to the internal panels isn’t easy (though I understand VW is quoting in Germany 4 hours work to retro-fit the awning). On the opposite side there is the bathroom, which might make a full length rail impossible without a middle bracket.
So I‘be come to the conclusion that a side mount system is the way to go, using 2 seperate mounting points on the roof. What do you think? If I got a prototype made would anyone be interested? Picture of this Sprinter shows the general idea.

View attachment 54780

View attachment 54781

View attachment 54782

Attach the roof rails in the 3rd photo to the roof with Silkaflex, slide roof bars into these & get a ladder.

VW should be able to tell you exactly what’s hidden under the roof, so you might also be able to screw into it and use some wellnuts (+silkaflex) to attach the rail.

I’m sure that I have seen Hymer camping cars with roof bars, must be similar roof construction.

How about a form of tailgate/ rear doors rack with the boards standing on end? Would probably only end up with only the nose of the board above the roofline on a GC.

something along these lines:
1580473077656.png

or
1580473144583.png

Might be able to adapt a towbar mounted bikerack.

How about a form of tailgate/ rear doors rack with the boards standing on end? Would probably only end up with only the nose of the board above the roofline on a GC.

something along these lines:

or

Might be able to adapt a towbar mounted bikerack.
oh that’s really interesting; had wondered if this was possible/sensible but hadn’t seen any examples.

They look good, got a similar setup for my T25. Back to the problem that there’s no roof rails on the GC.
As I said, KariTek sell a roof rail kit which can be fitted to GRP a roof, might be worth a look.

Youre
As I said, KariTek sell a roof rail kit which can be fitted to GRP a roof, might be worth a look.
You’re absolutely right, sorry I missed you comment when I read it on my phone. I fear there’s very little spare space up there amongst the 3 roof lights, air vent and solar panels unfortunately - and suspect weight limit for the fibre glass roof. I’ll check it out though, thanks for the suggestion.

Might be a good idea to have a look at a commercial Crafter LWB with the same roof height. Looking at this picture gives an idea of the structure. There must be structural beams running side to side under the roof panel that would take the load.

A discussion with a company that adds roof equipment for trade Crafters might bring up some other options.

Who can advise about mounting airline rails on the side? Found this picture but never saw it live

4Pushcomponents.JPG