Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Paint work ??

wilde1

wilde1

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
After just 2 weeks of ownership, 2 faults so far (roof seal and wardrobe trim) I have started to look at things more, I popped up the bonnet for a nosey and noticed the finish in and around the bonnet area not painted and also the inner wings, is this the same with everyone else's? See attached photos.

IMG_2120.JPG

IMG_2121.JPG

IMG_2122.JPG

IMG_2123.JPG

IMG_2124.JPG

I checked mine a moment ago and cannot see any unpainted surface, sorry. Has their been an respray in the area or any other evidence of a minor repair?
Gorgeous colour you have.

Not as I'm aware of? It was an ex demonstrator with 100 miles on the clock? Looks like it may be a Friday afternoon van

I think there has been a previous thread about this, seems not all inner wings etc are finished in the outer colour. Is it like a primer?

After just 2 weeks of ownership, 2 faults so far (roof seal and wardrobe trim) I have started to look at things more, I popped up the bonnet for a nosey and noticed the finish in and around the bonnet area not painted and also the inner wings, is this the same with everyone else's? See attached photos.

View attachment 30301

View attachment 30302

View attachment 30303

View attachment 30304

View attachment 30305
My Starlight Blue Ocean is the same, I thought this was normal.

Hi , yes its just primer

All the same as far as I know, just looks like primer on underside surfaces. Under the chassis is the same although quite heavily wax coated.

Rod

Its normal I'm afraid. The underside of the bonnet and other areas in the engine compartment are not sprayed in top coat any more. I don't like it either but regrettably that's how its done these days.
I went round the Ford plant at Dagenham years ago and they did it then. I remember thinking that it was a shoddy penny pinching practice. At that time the engine compartment and underbonnet surfaces on VWs were fully painted and thick wax was pumped into box sections and sprayed on underbody areas. A proper job.
I suppose VW's thinking now is that:
1. It might save a few bob on the build costs.
2. Most owners never open the bonnet so why bother painting underneath.
3. As the body is gavanised there's not much point in going over the top with the painting.

I still think it's a shoddy practice.
How much would it cost them to finish the job off properly? Next to nothing compared to the overall cost of manufacture I suspect. Still, if you've only paid £40 - 60k or more for a Cali you can't expect VW to paint it all.........properly.

Last edited:
My thoughts to, I was in my local vw garage yesterday and I walked around a few new t6s and they are all the same, some worse than others, poor really but the rest of the van makes up for it

All from 2015 are the same it’s a cost saving exercise, skimp on 20 vans and paint a whole one for free.

Most cars are just base coated not lacquered under the boot bonnet ect these days
Pretty crap really considering the cost of the vehicle. anyvway to save a few quid they will do it

Back