Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Palmerston alloys

Lukem

Lukem

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
evening all,

Has anyone got a t6 with Palmerston allloys? I've seen a couple and they look fantastic but I'd like to see more pics if possible. If your van is silver as well then even better.
Thanks

evening all,

Has anyone got a t6 with Palmerston allloys? I've seen a couple and they look fantastic but I'd like to see more pics if possible. If your van is silver as well then even better.
Thanks
acd00977ac3b66092c658771a56756dc.jpg

Which Alloy wheels to have on your new van is obviously a personal choice but I often wonder whether buyers consider more than just looks.

I don't think you can beat Devonport alloys for looks but more importantly, practicality. With this wheel VW have hit a happy medium. They appear to be a very robust design and should you be unfortunate enough to damage one, brand new "delivery miles" sets and individual wheels are always available on Ebay and often through VW dealers, usually at a very reasonable cost. They are cheap to have refurbished because they are just painted and lacquered. They are also dead easy to clean both on the outside and the inside whilst on the vehicle. Also IMO being 17" they provide style without compromising the ride quality.

On the other hand Palmerstone alloys are of the diamond turned alloy variety making them much more fragile. The lacquer marks very easily and if damaged water can get underneath, which will eventually cause unsightly corrosion on the shiny turned alloy surface. Refurbishing a diamond turned alloy will involve much greater expense due to the extra work and labour involved and I believe it can only be done twice before the wheel is scrap. This is because the wheel has to have a layer of metal machined "diamond turned" from it's surface. Cleaning them will be a long and laborious job and if you want the insides done as well they will have to come off the vehicle.

Last edited:
Most wheels on modern cars are diamond cut now.
It’s personal what you like I totally agree!
At the end of the day if they do actually start to look tired after a few years there’s always the option of full repaint instead of re diamond cutting them
You can even base then up in black then re mask with fine line masking tape do the erea that was cut in silver to get the same effect then laquer them in one go...there’s always options and pro’s and cons with everything eg diamond cut cascavels now in pearl black my winter wheels

D8476503-F338-4D69-A6EB-EB553DC00239.jpeg

6E6C47AE-B4C2-4E82-8003-152DE8C72074.jpeg

AF863574-AF62-43C8-BF7B-3C1DB12330D2.jpeg

Last edited:
No I’m still waiting for ours that’s a pic from the new 6.1 at vw van center Liverpool

Do they not knock off the price of the Woodstock?
Or are they standard?

Do they not knock off the price of the Woodstock?
Or are they standard?
No, the Woodstock are a no cost option, change to Palmerston and it’s £1,200 !!! I was thinking of having the Woodstock, then selling them (someone said I would get circa £700 with the tyres) and buying after market 18”. However l was told after market alloys may affect the warranty. As it’s a brand new T6.1 Ocean I wouldn’t want to risk that...

I think you should just go for what you like the most if you have seen aftermarket ones you really like it sounds like a good idea? but I doubt you could get a quality set that are load rated for 1200 with top quality tyres !!!
say u get 500 for the Woodstock then you will have to put at least - grand to to get some top notch load rated alloys with quality tyres
Is it worth the hassle???
Only you know the answer

Which Alloy wheels to have on your new van is obviously a personal choice but I often wonder whether buyers consider more than just looks.

I don't think you can beat Devonport alloys for looks but more importantly, practicality. With this wheel VW have hit a happy medium. They appear to be a very robust design and should you be unfortunate enough to damage one, brand new "delivery miles" sets and individual wheels are always available on Ebay and often through VW dealers, usually at a very reasonable cost. They are cheap to have refurbished because they are just painted and lacquered. They are also dead easy to clean both on the outside and the inside whilst on the vehicle. Also IMO being 17" they provide style without compromising the ride quality.

On the other hand Palmerstone alloys are of the diamond turned alloy variety making them much more fragile. The lacquer marks very easily and if damaged water can get underneath, which will eventually cause unsightly corrosion on the shiny turned alloy surface. Refurbishing a diamond turned alloy will involve much greater expense due to the extra work and labour involved and I believe it can only be done twice before the wheel is scrap. This is because the wheel has to have a layer of metal machined "diamond turned" from it's surface. Cleaning them will be a long and laborious job and if you want the insides done as well they will have to come off the vehicle.

I do like the Devonports and had them on my previous Beach but to me they just look dated on a T6.1. Very unusual for a manufacturer to update a van / car and keep an old style wheel.

Saying that, personally I’m really not keen of most of the new styles available on the 6.1. VW need a new wheel design team!

I do like the Devonports and had them on my previous Beach but to me they just look dated on a T6.1. Very unusual for a manufacturer to update a van / car and keep an old style wheel.

Saying that, personally I’m really not keen of most of the new styles available on the 6.1. VW need a new wheel design team!
I recently ordered one of the last T6 Beaches because I don't like the changes on the T6-1. The main one being there will be no T6-1 Beach and I don't want a Coast or an Ocean. I wanted Devonports but they weren't an option on the Beach. They were on every other Transporter based vehicle!!! So because I wanted the 17" chassis I had to order a set of expensive diamond turned Cascavels. They were taken off as soon as I got it home and replaced with a "delivery mileage" set of Devenports with Goodyear 4 season tyres. :headbang

Last edited:
I have a set of freshly Refurbed cascavels in pearl black with 235 55 17 conti winter contact tyres as new
These will be available after our trip to the alps in a few weeks
Offers will be considered ;)

Wow, my life is so simple! It's a van, I go the mountains, I love my steels. And they're 16s. I hope I won't be banished!

Thanks, I’m waiting for my Ocean from Marshall’s Reading, ordered 17” Woodstock but want to change to the Palmerston
now - ÂŁ1200 extra tho !!!
VW used to charge ÂŁ1800 for an 18" upgrade on the T6 so now a 'bargain'.

Returning to this thread briefly, I forgot to say that the reason I rate Devonports way above any diamond turned alloy wheels is simply this. When a diamond turned alloy has its surface diamond turned the cutter passes across the surface of the wheel removing a small amount of material thus creating the shiny look. Unfortunately it leaves a very sharp edge all around the shiny turned surface. When the wheel is subsequently lacquered it is impossible to build as thick a layer on that sharp edge as elsewhere on the wheel. Therefore it is much more vulnerable to corrosion from day one. The slightest damage and the corrosion will start to occur under the lacquer.

Not so with the Devonport alloy. If you take a close look at one you will see that it's been designed so that there are no sharp edges anywhere thus ensuring an even paint and lacquer coat over the whole wheel. Consequently they make a brilliant long term wheel. They are robust, easy to clean and very easy to maintain in as new condition.

Returning to this thread briefly, I forgot to say that the reason I rate Devonports way above any diamond turned alloy wheels is simply this. When a diamond turned alloy has its surface diamond turned the cutter passes across the surface of the wheel removing a small amount of material thus creating the shiny look. Unfortunately it leaves a very sharp edge all around the shiny turned surface. When the wheel is subsequently lacquered it is impossible to build as thick a layer on that sharp edge as elsewhere on the wheel. Therefore it is much more vulnerable to corrosion from day one. The slightest damage and the corrosion will start to occur under the lacquer.

Not so with the Devonport alloy. If you take a close look at one you will see that it's been designed so that there are no sharp edges anywhere thus ensuring an even paint and lacquer coat over the whole wheel. Consequently they make a brilliant long term wheel. They are robust, easy to clean and very easy to maintain in as new condition.
I think the davenport are really drab looking to be honest Them center caps remind me of a flower too
Just my opinion though

Totally agree with this, it seems that a lot of manufacturers are fitting are fitting them to their cars and if you look closely at them the slightest stone chip or brush with the kerb sets of the white worm like corrosion.

Davenport wheel all the way, easy to clean and not a diamond turned surface in sight.

I think the davenport are really drab looking to be honest Them center caps remind me of a flower too
Just my opinion though
Well it comes down to personal choice. I'm certainly not saying that everyone should choose Devonports, I'm merely making a comparison and pointing out that Diamond turned alloys of any type aren't, IMO, a good long term owership proposition.

Back