Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pan size - is this measured at top or base of pan?

• Thread starter Jet_the_Dogs_Van
  • Start date
Jet_the_Dogs_Van

Jet_the_Dogs_Van

Vehicle
Grand California 680
The GC’s max pan sizes for the hob are 16 and 22cm respectively. Does anyone know if this refers to the diameter at the base or the top of the pan? Pans are sold based on top diameter measurement. Makes quite a big difference for the max permitted frying pan size since these tend to taper outwards. I did message Dometic but got no reply.

The GC’s max pan sizes for the hob are 16 and 22cm respectively. Does anyone know if this refers to the diameter at the base or the top of the pan? Pans are sold based on top diameter measurement. Makes quite a big difference for the max permitted frying pan size since these tend to taper outwards. I did message Dometic but got no reply.
If maximum size, as I guess, is to reduce the danger of flames “spilling” out from beneath the pan and causing damage/fire risk. Then I would say it’s the base diameter.

Get a cadac with a griddle pan and fry outside......

We are trying to reduce kit and weight carried
Then it has to be this:

But personally, a cadac safari chef is all the cookware you need

I have both!

Square ridgemonkey pans work well. Nice
And light as well.

For space saving have got a small set of Tefal Ingenio. Only a cpl of pans nested and 1 frying pan and a cpl of lids.

I see that Very has a cheap small set on special and i am sure Amazon will do a deal somewhere.
But agree with above comments - Ridge Monkey also handy.
Cadac for the outdoor beer cooking experience :D

Found cooking for four on those little hobs a real PITA tbh, more of the dinner ended up out of the pans than in them. Am now carrying an Instant Pot in the gas cupboard which doubles up as a deep frying pan, a slow cooker and a few other things besides. Also gave us a kitchen draw back (pans are relegated to a rear cupboard on the offchance we go offgrid).

IMG_4995.jpeg

IMG_4997.jpeg

IMG_4998.jpeg

Square ridgemonkey pans work well. Nice
And light as well.
They look quite small - I’d looked at the permitted size and estimated a home made pizza wouldn’t be big enough for 2, so I’d need to have 2. Also not convinced by the non stick coating, unless they’ve made them Teflon, PFOA free recently. Keeping an eye on them though.

Found cooking for four on those little hobs a real PITA tbh, more of the dinner ended up out of the pans than in them. Am now carrying an Instant Pot in the gas cupboard which doubles up as a deep frying pan, a slow cooker and a few other things besides. Also gave us a kitchen draw back (pans are relegated to a rear cupboard on the offchance we go offgrid).

View attachment 128585

View attachment 128586

View attachment 128587
I’ve an Instant Pot Mini that sometimes comes with us

Get a cadac with a griddle pan and fry outside......
I don’t think a Cadac would work well for us - we eat veggie, we want to keep storage and weight down, plus it’s usually cold and windy (mostly trips in Scotland). I want to maximise pan size to fit lots of veggies in. However I have an answer from Dometic - it’s the base size that counts :)

So, I have a reply.

The scenario I'd asked about:
'I am wanting to know for a frying pan or wok as these flare outwards so it would be say 20cm at base and 24 or 26cm at the rim 5cm above.

Reply:
Good Afternoon,

The measurement of the pan/pot size is measured at the bottom as this is a requirement for a save use of the burner.
Therefore, the pan in question is fine to be used.
Kind regards,

Timothy Coxson
Dometic UK Customer Services
Tel : +44 (0) 344 626 0133
Dometic UK
Dometic House
Blandford
Dorset. DT11 9LS