Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Parcel shelf supports - is this normal?

Leffeblonde

Leffeblonde

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi, had the van since May and noticed this soon after but only just got round to photographing them. The two parcel shelf supports nearest the rear of the vehicle are different left and right. The right hand one has a metal insert where the shelf sits whereas the left doesn't and has been chewed a little by the threads on the shelf latch. Is the difference normal? Seems a bit odd to me...
DSCF2922.jpg
DSCF2923.jpg

Many thanks in advance.

Hi, had the van since May and noticed this soon after but only just got round to photographing them. The two parcel shelf supports nearest the rear of the vehicle are different left and right. The right hand one has a metal insert where the shelf sits whereas the left doesn't and has been chewed a little by the threads on the shelf latch. Is the difference normal? Seems a bit odd to me...
View attachment 14959
View attachment 14961

Many thanks in advance.
Just checked ours , we had ours from new , and exactly the same

They look normal , diffrent on each side but how did you get them scratched like that?
On the metal shelf should be a soft padding .

They look normal , diffrent on each side but how did you get them scratched like that?
On the metal shelf should be a soft padding .
They were scratched like that when I got the van, one previous owner. There is no padding on the shelf, just exposed screw threads. When I get 5 minutes I will post photos of the shelf parts.

Thanks for your replies.

Seems the soft padding on one side is starting to wear on mine also
Guess yours is gone?

Mine looks like this
Left
image.jpeg

Right
image.jpeg

Yep. No pading at all on mine. My van is only 18 months old; I am guessing it was never there in the first place. One for the warranty list. Thanks for the pics.
No padding on mine since new. HC's is a 2012 model so may have changed.

No evidence of any padding here.
View attachment 14970

Thanks WelshGas. So how are your plastic supports? Scratched like mine or pristine? Without any padding it seems inevitable that the plastic support on the left hand side will get chewed up when the parcel shelf is moved even slightly.

Sorry to crash the thread but should I have a cover (#3 & #4) for the top of the mesh shelf?

Sorry to crash the thread but should I have a cover (#3 & #4) for the top of the mesh shelf?
As far as I am aware. and this is on the SE, you get the Full Comfort Mattress (1) or the Insert (3) depending on which you ordered. No Comfort Mattress then you automatically get the insert.:thumb

Thanks WelshGas. So how are your plastic supports? Scratched like mine or pristine? Without any padding it seems inevitable that the plastic support on the left hand side will get chewed up when the parcel shelf is moved even slightly.
Mine is pristine - probably because I've never moved it.:thumb

Mine is pristine - probably because I've never moved it.:thumb

Thanks WelshGas. Looks like its something I will have to live with, 'cos I do intend to move my parcel shelf from time to time - as it was designed to do. The damage to the left hand support was made before I got the van, I will try to be more careful than the previous owner. Incidentally, the previous owner was a VW employee.

As far as I am aware. and this is on the SE, you get the Full Comfort Mattress (1) or the Insert (3) depending on which you ordered. No Comfort Mattress then you automatically get the insert.:thumb
Cheers :)
We've got the comfort mattress but was wondering if there was a cover just to lay over the mesh!
We've been using a rug but not with great success (mattress stays at home as we always sleep upstairs).

Cheers :)
We've got the comfort mattress but was wondering if there was a cover just to lay over the mesh!
We've been using a rug but not with great success (mattress stays at home as we always sleep upstairs).
Cut a sheet of plywood to cover?

Cheers gents, plywood goes against the grain!
When I've got a couple of hundred quid burning a hole I'll treat myself to the OE.

Re parcel shelf sockets... 2008 Cali from new. Shelf in and out all the time, as I use it as a cargo van as well as a camper. No padding, no problem, why worry?

No evidence of any padding here.
View attachment 14970

On my vehicle Part 22 in this exploded diagram constantly falls off, or at least rattles. This is the plastic cover the side wall union where the parcel shelf locates at the offside rear. It has done this since day 0. Has anyone else having this issue & can the part be replaced. If so is this likely to be any better.

On my vehicle Part 22 in this exploded diagram constantly falls off, or at least rattles. This is the plastic cover the side wall union where the parcel shelf locates at the offside rear. It has done this since day 0. Has anyone else having this issue & can the part be replaced. If so is this likely to be any better.

Yep mine came lose a few times when removing the rear metal shelf , in time a plastic clip holing it thight broke off ...
Now the plastic cap is somewhere in my garage in a box , don't need a newone

Mine has always do the same :(

Back