Parking heater - blower noise

willwander

willwander

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
2011 SE
Parking heater is making a high pitched and loud whining noise, coming from the fan motor.

It’s working and blowing air ok, but loud high pitched constant whine? Sounding like it’s coming from the fan motor? thought maybe a leaf or something else catching in fan?

is it easy to get to the air intake and check fans?

Any ideas?

2011 SE
Parking heater is making a high pitched and loud whining noise, coming from the fan motor.

It’s working and blowing air ok, but loud high pitched constant whine? Sounding like it’s coming from the fan motor? thought maybe a leaf or something else catching in fan?

is it easy to get to the air intake and check fans?

Any ideas?
I had something similar this year and in my case it sounded like something was interferring with the fan, again like a leaf or piece of paper. In our case it turned out to be a faulty impeller that had started to part company with the rest of the gubbins. However, I doubt if you have the same issue is this was a manufacturing fault that they hadn't seen before. They fixed it under warranty.

Could your problem be a dry bearing? Unfortunately I don't have the technical detail available to tell if these heaters do have such things. Anyway it sounds like it's a moving part that's causing the noise. As your van is out of warranty you could try stripping it down to identify the problem but personally I'd take it to an expert.

Last edited:
May be worth getting a eberspacher service engineer to take a look, should be able to resolve unless you are brave enough to strip it apart yourself?

Yes sounds like something is interfering with the fan. Could be a bearing tho. That sort of constant noise.

Fixed :D

I think it might have been a leaf that got sucked into the fan.

I left the heater on level 10 for about 30 minutes!
Fan was making an awful noise...but it seemed to be getting a little better rather than worse.
I then stopped and started the fan about a dozen times.
The last time I started it up, I heard a noise which sounded like something being spat out the back of the fan.

Then it all went back to normal.

Thank god. Couldn't live without my parking heater.

I wonder how common this is, that is getting something drawn into the air intake?

I think the air intake is in the drivers door step inside the van
Yes, so small leaves trodden onto that step or litter dropped by the driver could in theory, be drawn into the fan by the negative pressure it creates when working.

Yes, so small leaves trodden onto that step or litter dropped by the driver could in theory, be drawn into the fan by the negative pressure it creates when working.
Mmm, I don't think the negative pressure at the air intake is enough to suck a leaf up of the step and through the vent cover.

Mmm, I don't think the negative pressure at the air intake is enough to suck a leaf up of the step and through the vent cover.
Well I don't know but if the OP's problem was caused by debris then as far as I can see that grill is the only point of entry.

Well I don't know but if the OP's problem was caused by debris then as far as I can see that grill is the only point of entry.
True. But then I would have expected some debris to be blown out of the B Pillar vents.

There isnt a lot of room in the heater case to allow much through, leaves or bits of paper would possibly get stuck around the fan which is the first object on the air flow through the heater.

True. But then I would have expected some debris to be blown out of the B Pillar vents.
It's only a theory and TBH I'm not totally convinced that debris was the cause. If it was, then I suppose that if the negative pressure effect near the intake grill wasn't enough on it's own then it's just possible that a gust of wind when the door was open could have assisted a foreign object to enter.

The parking heater on our previous Beach started making an odd noise as if there was a piece of paper or leaf interfering with the fan. I reported it to the service department at my dealer, half expecting them not to take me seriously. In the end they agreed it wasn't right, stripped it apart and discovered that the fan impeller had started to become detatached and was making contact with the plastic casing.

Last edited:
I have an 2006 California, equipped with a Webasto AirTop 3500 ST auxiliary heater (check the sticker in the door). I have had my heater of the van numerous times. I replaced the glow plug and burner, I have adjusted the CO2, I have replaced fuel pumps, fitted new air ducts, fitted a new temp.sensor inside the van.
It is not that complicated. If you are used to mechanical stuff, maybe done some oil changes your self or similar, then you also will be able to inspect/remove debris from the fan. I use a 3 tone trolley jack that can lift 500 mm + and lift the whole right side of the car (both wheels in the air) at the front jack point. Then place two jack stands under the car, one under the sub frame and one under the jack point in the back. The heater is behind some splash guards under the vehicle and under the right hand side front seat. A couple of screw and spring washers holds the splash guard underneath. Then you have full access to the goodies. You will easily see and identify the air duct from the foot step to the heater, it’s only 20-25 cm. A rubber gaiter is hold in place by two cable ties. The gaiter connects the air duct to the heater. Remove it and look in to the fan. Be careful so you don’t disturb the small balancing weights attached to some of the fan blades. Use cable ties of good quality when reassemble.

7C933DFB-CF05-4384-8A9E-3D37ECBDCCB9.jpeg

The guts of that look identical to the Eberspacer..the case is different though.

Back