Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Part Fitting Instructions

T

testpilottimmy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Hi,

Does anyone have access to parts fitting diagrams?

I need to understand how to refit the spring mechanism back onto the small sliding under bench drawer. I am struggling to work out how to compress the spring correctly and have already taken a chunk out of my hand :)

The part to fit is 7H7067303 - Maybe if i just buy it new the spring will be pre-compressed?

I don't really want to buy a whole new drawer, or pay the pleasure for VW to break something else on the van while it is in for service.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tim

There are a few threads on installing that drawer but looks like the spring on the catch comes factory fitted to the drawer. Official VW approach might be to replace the drawer!
I don’t have the drawer but from the pictures I believe it’s a torsion spring so if you google fitting, compressing or winding a torsion spring you might get some ideas. If it were me I’d be looking for a couple of tubes that could go over the ends of the springs and provide some leverage but difficult to know if that would work without seeing it up close.

Thanks for the ideas - it is a torsion spring, but space is very tight to fit and the ends of the spring slide sideways into small locating holes. I have now dismantled the drawer front as much as I can which may give more space. I’ll take some pictures in the morning to show what I am up against - the issue is the spring ends need to rotate over 270 degrees and the spring is VERY strong.
I have bought a replacement mechanism anyway now. Part of the reason for disassembly was that the drawer handle was bent sideways so it caught on the other drawer, so replacing the lot isn’t necessarily a bad thing, the parts were only £20. If it all fails I guess I will just have to buy a drawer or work out how I can make it a warranty claim.

When I took it apart to investigate I had no idea it would be this hard to re-assemble. Lesson learnt the hard way in this case.

This is the mechanism. The spring needs to rotate around 270 degrees and be slotted in the hole you can see.

08456AF2-0136-4043-A661-8164B6CB64DB.jpeg

I’m using spring pullers, one of which I have modified, but it’s not working for me at the moment. Maybe I need some time in the gym or a tool from VW made of unobtanium is needed.

image.jpg

This is the mechanism. The spring needs to rotate around 270 degrees and be slotted in the hole you can see.

View attachment 84126
Just a thought, can loosen the far end of the bar and slide it just far enough forward for the outside lever to go around 360 without hitting the drawer housing. If you could, you might be able to effectively assemble the mechanism with the spring unwound but with both spring ends engaged, then using a adjustable spanner etc wind the whole end section until the spring is in tension then slide the bar back to inwards and engage the housing end stop again. I am sure my description is poor but perhaps it might steer you !
A

how about a small diameter length of paracord looped over the spring, then over and under the shaft and then wind the cord onto something you can use to wind or lever to pull on the cord and let it pull the spring around until you can use a screwdriver to push it into the hole?

its a great idea, but the fit of the lever interferes. I have got within a couple of milimeters of engaging it, but have failed at the last hurdle.

I'll have a few more tries (probably injure myself again) and then wait for the replacement parts in hope the spring is pre-compressed!

To close this thread off, I finally managed to reassemble the locking mechanism using copper wire wound round the spring arm, with a loop in the other end of the wire big enough to get my shoe in, I was then able to put the pressure on with my food and push the end of the spring home by hand.

I did try to get the replacement spring and catch from a number of sources and I was told that they are not in stock anywhere in Europe. I was also told that they were struggling to get hold of T6.1 brake pads! So I may have to go easy on braking!

To close this thread off, I finally managed to reassemble the locking mechanism using copper wire wound round the spring arm, with a loop in the other end of the wire big enough to get my shoe in, I was then able to put the pressure on with my food and push the end of the spring home by hand.

I did try to get the replacement spring and catch from a number of sources and I was told that they are not in stock anywhere in Europe. I was also told that they were struggling to get hold of T6.1 brake pads! So I may have to go easy on braking!
I have exactly the same problem! Would you be able to describe how you fixed in a little more detail please? I’m at a loss and even the dealer spent 1.5hrs trying without success.

Back