Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Passenger seat belt check and remainder

szczota81

szczota81

Vehicle
T5 SE 140 4Motion
Hi All

MY Cali has no passenger seat belt check for some reason. Spec indicate there should be belt check but there is no indication on which side or maybe on both.
The question is. How this function is implemented in the car on passenger side? I checked parts list for a seat and I looked in workshop manual but there is no info about any passenger detection sensor.
As it was in BMW, there should be some sensor which check the passenger presence by checking mass. In VW it should be done in similar way. Can anyone indicate how this is done or give me a part number?
I am asking because I would like to add this functionality to my car.

Thx in advance.

Do you have car spec number for this funtion? My has
9P1 - Seat belt check: Seat belt reminder, electric contact in buckle

My old Cali had it in which was a 13 plate but our new one which is a 19 plate does not :rolleyes:

What do you mean by 13 and 19 plate?? Anyone know which part or system is responsible for belt check in passenger seat??
Licence plate - UK system is identified by a year number 13 = registered (new) March-August 2013, 19 = Mar-August 2019.

The part numbers might be buried in here...

Mine only has driver's seatbelt reminder.
That is enough. The passengers have to know for themselves if they wear a seatbelt or not.

JK. We all wear our seatbelts, regardless of warnings or not.

Sure
But this post is to answer how the system is working and which components are responsible for the worning.
All additional info are useless.

My additional useless information is.
Do not have a passenger seat belt warning in our van so as the driver I act as the seatbelt warning for the passenger I shout at the passenger and refuse to drive off before they put it on. Cheap and effective.

Cool But seriously
How it works?? How the system knows when passenger is present?

Cool But seriously
How it works?? How the system knows when passenger is present?
It doesn’t. It just assumes that if engine started and 1st gear engaged it presumes there is a driver behind the steering wheel.

Last edited:
I think there are sensors in the seatbase that send a signal out when a certain ammount of weight is in the seat.
I don't know in my 2012 SE but in the wifes Renault Sceinic i had the seatbelt warning go off when placing a heavy box on the seat when driving off ...

Driver's seat has no seat detection. This seatbelt warning will always be present without clicking in the seatbelt.
In the seatbelt connector there is a microswitch.
All the other seats, if there is person detection, have a press sensor in the seat base. This detects weight over a certain amount of kgs (let's say 30kg). If you then not buckle up, there will be the warning.

Driver's seat has no seat detection. This seatbelt warning will always be present without clicking in the seatbelt.
In the seatbelt connector there is a microswitch.
All the other seats, if there is person detection, have a press sensor in the seat base. This detects weight over a certain amount of kgs (let's say 30kg). If you then not buckle up, there will be the warning.
According to the parts diagrams I have seen and they are not that detailed the only electrical connection is on the Seat Belt Reel. The other items within the seat are Seat base and Lumbar heating pads and airbag.

According to the parts diagrams I have seen and they are not that detailed the only electrical connection is on the Seat Belt Reel. The other items within the seat are Seat base and Lumbar heating pads and airbag.
If you have heated seats, the pressure sensor is in the heating element.
The other connection is in the belt buckle.

If you have heated seats, the pressure sensor is in the heating element.
The other connection is in the belt buckle.
Interesting. That's at odds with the VW parts catalogue.

Back