Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Passing on my Cali to new owner

a21daloa

a21daloa

I'm parting company with my Cali due to work related relocation. The new owner seems such a nice person didn't even haggle my asking price, so I decided to draw up this list of "tips". If anyone has any more to add, please shout up. The new owner will collect the van next week so there's still a bit of time.

My “Owning a Used Cali Tips” (2007 model being used in 2015)

1 Always carry a small “pulse type” battery charger for the front “Engine” battery

a. The battery is fairly new, 2yrs old – so don’t buy another one just yet...

b. Everything in the front of the Cali runs off the Engine battery (inc Radio and front internal lights)

c. Always switch the front internal lights to the off position when camping, this way if you leave any doors open, the lights will stay off (and not flatten the battery)

d. NOTE: The “Engine” battery does not charge when on electric hook up (late 2007 onwards only)

e. I always take my Bose Soundlink 2 Bluetooth speaker for music and media use whilst camping.

f. Always carry jump leads just in case...

g. The “2 x leisure batteries” seem fine, never had a problem. (they do charge on hookup, but will last around 3 days if no hookup is available – they do charge with the engine running too.)

2 Use the wooden blocks under the jack to change summer/winter wheels or to level the camper on uneven ground if wild camping.

3 There’s no spare tyre, but there is a compressor and silicone repair kit in the bench seat.

4 Keep a dustpan and brush in the van at all times to help keep the interior clean

5 Never leave the Awning rolled out without tying it down (wind can blow it around)

6 In rain, angle the Awning so it drains off excess water to the corner(s)

7 The Awning legs are spring loaded, take care when getting them out and look where they came from to ease putting them away.

8 The back shelf (where the TV is stored), is a bit tricky sometimes and can keep coming open. You will work out the sweet spot, just to be aware is enough...

9 The wardrobe “flexidoor” can appear to be jammed but it isn’t. Just put your fingers on the inside and push up the rollers from the bottom to free up the door.

10 The sliding kitchen table can rattle, use a thin cloth or similar to wedge it slightly.

11 The table sitting in the door can be tricky to get out, I sometimes use a spoon at the edges to help.

12 The table in the door can also be used inside too, you’ll work it out :eek:)

13 Never put anything directly on the glass worktop, always use a rubber mat or similar to prevent scratching.

14 Never leave water in the tanks or pipes near winter; if it freezes it will be expensive.

15 When lowering the roof, always leave a door open and have someone outside checking that the canvas is not getting trapped in the scissor mechanism.

16 Always check the roof is fully down, otherwise you will get water ingress.

17 When raising or lowering the roof keep the button pressed until it stops pumping, this is to ensure the hydraulic system is drained.

18 The head lights are not Automatic (German Import), don’t forget to switch them On before driving (and off when finished), it will become natural after a while....

19 There is a six track CD player under the passenger seat.

20 You can plug in a MP3 player using the 3.5mm jack lead and switching the Radio to AUX.

21 To spin around the driver’s seat, the handbrake must be down, always block off the wheels (using the wooden blocks) before letting off the handbrake.

22 To get into the roof, stand on the passenger front seat backrest (after spinning the seat around, and sliding the seat in towards the living space a bit).

23 Don’t leave small children in the roof bed unsupervised, you can get a safety net, but I don’t have it.

24 Have a great time in the Cali, sign up to the forum http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/home/

Back