Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pedders suspension

california kid

california kid

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi all.
Having read other posts on the Pedders suspension, I decided to give the guys a call, from my first contact with Andy, he gave me all the info I needed and promptly ordered a set, and as promised they arrived the next day. Before I fitted them I had a couple of questions, so I phoned them again these guys are so helpful they are a credit to the company.
Having fitted them to our california they have totally transformed it while towing our caravan, and while driving solo. I would definetly recommend Andy and the Guys from Pedders Suspension.

Was waiting for some one else to ask, but no one has. What is Pedders suspension?

Hello,
I've fitted Pedders too,
It's a good improuvement for the rear, I've put the pedders spring in addition with biltein B6.
For my opinion the rear is a bit too hight now.
I'm looking for some weitec parts to raise up the front end.
Any opinion on that ?

Cheers

It has been mentioned on here before. The Pedders T5 rear suspension upgrade is a very worthwhile (and relatively inexpensive) addition to any T5 (especially California's) if you want better handling & load carrying. & fairly essential if you tow heavy loads on trailers. We had both our Busfest T5's Pedder'ed & now they are both much much more fun to drive.. This is a link to my T5 Cali Album which shows what is involved. https://www.facebook.com/simon.holl...=a.4579580225976.1073741831.1786031109&type=3

:cool:

Thanks for that Simon; I thought all Cali's looked down at the back but my current 4motion has noticeable sharper handling than the previous 2wd one I had and wondered if the suspension had already been upgraded ....

It has been mentioned on here before. The Pedders T5 rear suspension upgrade is a very worthwhile (and relatively inexpensive) addition to any T5 (especially California's) if you want better handling & load carrying. & fairly essential if you tow heavy loads on trailers. We had both our Busfest T5's Pedder'ed & now they are both much much more fun to drive.. This is a link to my T5 Cali Album which shows what is involved. https://www.facebook.com/simon.holl...=a.4579580225976.1073741831.1786031109&type=3

:cool:
hi symcro...saw your review in the magazine and read your previous comments on here. I am interested in getting the suspension upgrade fro my 4motion 2013 dsg 180. My only concern is that it raises it a bit too hi with other users comments on here. I am not a facebooker so cant check your pics out. But it would be great if you could post a pic on here , side view of your cali unladen to show us all how it looks with upgrade....if you get chance.! I am sure there would be a few others interested. I spoke to pedders and they were abit unsure about details as its all really down to how much weight your carrying and how much sag you have.
cheers

Yesterday, I've checked the overall height of the Cali with the Pedders.
2,01m a the back...with half a tank, no water and nothing inside.
I fought it was worse ;-).
I'm looking for something to raise up the front to get a more conventional stance(20mm should be perfect).
I'm with my phone so i can't post a picture.

I've check the rear overall height with the Pedders:
2,01m with half a tank, no water and nothing inside...i fought it was worse.
I still want to give a more conventional stance with raising the front end (20mm shouldbe perfect).

2 post...pfff
Just to make it clearer, I've got bigger wheels (235/60r18)
Cheers

thanks for the info...so you reckon having the 18's on makes it higher for you..i have 17's on mine

OK a few pics for non FB viewers

Cali before Pedders Suspension upgrade (Laden). This picture really does show the "saggy arse" problem the Cali has when heavily loaded or towing
1016882_4579581266002_1611735154_n.jpg

Cali before Pedders Suspension Upgrade.is Unladen
1004908_4579582866042_2129843980_n.jpg

Cali before Pedders Upgrade. Very poor clearance + back end. (and poor/hairy! handling when towing)
998416_4579733309803_1937414260_n.jpg

Cali After Pedders Suspension Upgrade (Unladed). Better Stance and handling
1017719_4579586066122_679298112_n.jpg

This Picture does not show it well but there is a big difference to towing height
12333_4579585626111_1606942823_n.jpg

No problem with carrying slightly less heavy red sports cars :happy
554565_4579842112523_1616484801_n.jpg

hi symcro.

thanks for those pics thats great....think i will go ahead...mine has a saggy ars3 even with a full tank and dog in back.

cheers

Had the pedders upgrade fitted...blimey well worth it...the handling is much much better. Even takes the corners better. Took about two hours for vw to fit. And reduces that jarring knock/sound going over bumps and potholes.. No more saggy bum either. Thanks for all the info from the guys posts above.

Had the pedders upgrade fitted...blimey well worth it...the handling is much much better. Even takes the corners better. Took about two hours for vw to fit. And reduces that jarring knock/sound going over bumps and potholes.. No more saggy bum either. Thanks for all the info from the guys posts above.

How much did it cost ? Did you front & rear ?

2 hours vw labour...would be 1 hour for non 4motion models + pedders rear upgrade £297.00.
Upgrade is just for the rear. So £297 + labour.
It inspires confidence now in the bends and roundabouts, and thats not including the benefit of the extra weight it can carry and stopping the saggy rear.So all in all i feel it makes the cali 4motion much better drive. Not upgraded the front, left stock. Hope that helps

2 hours vw labour...would be 1 hour for non 4motion models + pedders rear upgrade £297.00.
Upgrade is just for the rear. So £297 + labour.
It inspires confidence now in the bends and roundabouts, and thats not including the benefit of the extra weight it can carry and stopping the saggy rear.So all in all i feel it makes the cali 4motion much better drive. Not upgraded the front, left stock. Hope that helps

Thanks for the info.

Hi All,
Thanks for the info above already.
I love my Cali but hate the ride which I find wallows and is almost unstable at higher motorway speeds if sharp changes of direction are required.I also find that the front end suspension tends not to absorb bumps but instead transfers them through the cabin.
There are no defects with my suspension as it has been checked and from what I understand there are quite a few people who feel the same about the Cali suspension.
I am therefore considering doing some upgrades myself but don't want to sacrifice a stiffer suspension if the ride quality is going to be that much worse.
A few questions :
Does fitting the pedders rear suspension make the normal ride any harder or going over rough ground any harsher ?
Another member in a seperate posting has suggested changing the rear anti roll bar.
Has anyone also changed the rear anti roll bar for the heavier duty 28mm version in combination with the pedders rear kit.?
Thanks in advance.

I have seen good reports on H&R Anti roll/sway bars on the van Forums.
Hi All,
Thanks for the info above already.
I love my Cali but hate the ride which I find wallows and is almost unstable at higher motorway speeds if sharp changes of direction are required.I also find that the front end suspension tends not to absorb bumps but instead transfers them through the cabin.
There are no defects with my suspension as it has been checked and from what I understand there are quite a few people who feel the same about the Cali suspension.
I am therefore considering doing some upgrades myself but don't want to sacrifice a stiffer suspension if the ride quality is going to be that much worse.
A few questions :
Does fitting the pedders rear suspension make the normal ride any harder or going over rough ground any harsher ?
Another member in a seperate posting has suggested changing the rear anti roll bar.
Has anyone also changed the rear anti roll bar for the heavier duty 28mm version in combination with the pedders rear kit.?
Thanks in advance.
I have seen good reports on H&R Anti sway (roll) bars on the VW van forums. Come as a pair with the front having two stiffness options.

Hi BJG
Thanks for the info but I was hoping for a Cali specific solution, mainly because the Cali is so much heavier than most T5 vans ( particularly when loaded with extra stuff for a long trip) and because of the elevating roof has a different centre of gravity.
If anyone has actually done a pedders suspension change and a rear antiroll bar change please let us know you findings ?
I have seen someone post on another forum that they fitted pedders and then removed them because the ride became too harsh but once again that was a standard van so its difficult to access as they are basically the same but also so different and the Calis extra weight may make the pedders act and feel differently.
I have also seen several people fit pedders to 4motion Calis but they are even heavier due to the 4wheel drive system and the fact that most of the fitments were due to them wanting to tow quite large trailers etc. and the pedders have a definite advantage when wanting to tow frequently.

Hi BJG
Thanks for the info but I was hoping for a Cali specific solution, mainly because the Cali is so much heavier than most T5 vans ( particularly when loaded with extra stuff for a long trip) and because of the elevating roof has a different centre of gravity.
If anyone has actually done a pedders suspension change and a rear antiroll bar change please let us know you findings ?
I have seen someone post on another forum that they fitted pedders and then removed them because the ride became too harsh but once again that was a standard van so its difficult to access as they are basically the same but also so different and the Calis extra weight may make the pedders act and feel differently.
I have also seen several people fit pedders to 4motion Calis but they are even heavier due to the 4wheel drive system and the fact that most of the fitments were due to them wanting to tow quite large trailers etc. and the pedders have a definite advantage when wanting to tow frequently.
I'm personally going for full a air setup as everything else I looked at was a compromise.
It is possible to have air only on the rear where the basic setup only requires an airline to adjust it. look at airride.co.uk site for details
All the options with regards suspension that I could find were like the Cali originally designed for the van range which is a much bigger market.

The T32 van has a gross of 3200kgs using different axles etc.
The Cali 4M DSG uses it's front springs but not the struts/axle.

Last edited:
Hi BJG,

Thanks for the update. I took a look at the airride site.
Looks really good but unfortunately its a bit expensive for me so am looking to undertake less costly ( if compromise changes )....but thanks for the info and link.Much appreciated.

Hi BJG,

Thanks for the update. I took a look at the airride site.
Looks really good but unfortunately its a bit expensive for me so am looking to undertake less costly ( if compromise changes )....but thanks for the info and link.Much appreciated.
I was trying to refer you to just the rear option as opposed to the full setup but the site was a bit limited on details.
I haven't gone for this supplier .

Just fitted the Pedders rear kit yesterday!
After being annoyed by the saggy rear for so long, I decided to fix it and get the Pedders kit.

Quick to arrive (mind you I'm in Portugal!), it was less than an hours work done at home, with help from a friend!
The rear was lifted by 5cm!

G0232494.jpg

IMG_3534.jpg

FC01_A5_A4_FF2_C_4_F02_A00_D_33_AF49452_C91.jpg

Haven't had a chance to do a proper drive on a windy road, looking forward to it!

Can I ask you Soundsk how you are finding your new Pedders rear? I'm planning to buy the set once I get back to the U.K. to give me a less bouncy rear end and more ground clearance. Your feed back would be much appreciated.