Pending California Orders

Soton Campers

Soton Campers

Southampton Campers
VIP Member
Trade Advertiser
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
For those of us with pending California orders, what is the mood now that 6 months of lock down could be possible?

Are you worried that the price of your asset could fall like a stone?

More likely to rocket up when freedom of movement permitted with mass exodus from Cities needing transport with accommodation as all hotels fully booked.

It depends why you are buying it, what your personal financial situation is, different reasons for different people.

We are not buying our T6.1 as an investment. We set the money aside 8 months ago when we started the process. We are buying our Cali with the intention of keeping it for many, many years and making many memories. As horrendous as this whole situation is life will return to normal, at some point. This virus has made us realise that life is finite, and when our van arrives (it is in a field somewhere in Germany) and the lockdown removed, then we will collect it. Obviously if there are suddenly new offers/prices from VW then we will review but fundamentally we intend to proceed.

If the value of our Cali falls, then so will everyone else's. As will houses, cars, shares etc.

I'm very fortunate and don't have plans/need to sell mine any time soon........

More likely to rocket up when freedom of movement permitted with mass exodus from Cities needing transport with accommodation as all hotels fully booked.
Corona is more likely to lead to a depression than a recession. Either way I can't see holidays or days out being a big priority for the majority of the country & assets of all sorts will take a huge hit some of which (like luxury / 2nd type cars) will take a long time to recover as they did in the 2008 banking crisis, which was very tame by what is happening currently. If you cancelled now you are almost certainly going to be able to buy cheaper later or get a far higher spec vehicle for the same money

Updated Bought ours Feb 20 - 0 trips. To echo Bob's comments below would I buy again given the current circumstances - certainly not. I would hold off and take advantage of when they are cheaper

Last edited:
Bought ours Sep 19 been on 3 outings and covered just over 1000 miles. Would I buy if I had known this was going to happen No I wouldn't

With vw currently shut and orders not flowing there will be no California’s coming off the production line...
So new ones will be in shot supply .
when all this is lifted there will be a surge of everybody wanting to get out of there houses,and away for some breathing space!
Not on planes I think they will still be a no no?
The ultimate thing to own then will be a camper van! so I definitely don’t think there will be cheap vans available .or the arse will fall out of the ones we own,,,they will be at a premium .
This definitely wouldn’t stop me from wanting or owning a camper .....life will go on,,
vw will need to recoup some of the money they have lost being stagnant?
I doubt they will do this by selling them cheaper especially as the 6.1 has only just come out..
I got mine 3 weeks ago and it’s done 200miles ..
Does it worry me no ...
I do feel a little fed up I cannot use it,but at the moment there’s more important things to worry about like my elderly parents and my family and making sure there managing ok in this sad odd time....

Last edited:
Its obvious a tricky call this and yes it does as mentioned above depend on your own scenario and reasons for buying.

Mine certainly isnt for investment reasons either as I plan to simply hang onto it for the forseeable.(if I can)

I would suggest that as we push on through many weeks and months of this lockdown, the strain on peoples finances are going to become pretty epic. So id expect that spending on big items like fancy holidays, large house improvements, cars (you name it) may be at a low ebb as people try to recover financially.

Id say that if youre a campervan owner already, then you're in a great position once lockdown is removed to go spread your wings again, if the current situation doesnt force you to sell it.

Difficult to tell if peoples lack of finances will affect campervan prices or not, because they can (and do) offer a fantastic and flexible way to get away for a relatively cheap break.

I can’t really buy a second hand 680gc. However I’m still going a head with mine. Can’t wait to go exploring every weekend

For those of us with pending California orders, what is the mood now that 6 months of lock down could be possible?

Are you worried that the price of your asset could fall like a stone?
I'm receiving mine next week(sales are closed here, but delivery of vehicule with light procedure still possible). We(switzerland) don't have an hardcore lockdown, so I suppose that going isolate myself and the girlfriend in the mountain should not change much from my appartment. But that's mostly for small weekend.

My other roadtrips are postponed(and I'm not allowed to move my holidays) soa bit sad :(

We are reviewing our order in a month, dealer says it will be built at this stage anyway but we have the option to pull out when it is eventually built and delivered. Basically at this stage no one has an idea what the future holds but things will be more clear as some time passes.

With that said I think we will end up pulling out tbh, my wife is an intensive care nurse and it’s pretty bleak at the moment. The severity of the situation has not hit half of the country yet. It amazes me that people are still arguing the toss over the economic impact of the lockdown, within the next week medical professionals in the UK will be making impossible decisions which will see over 50’s or even younger being extubated from dwindling ventilators in favour of younger people with better chances of survival :-(

Apologies I have just re-read what I just posted and it sounds like I’m having a go at the original poster which was not my intention. I was reading a thread in the Covid section prior to this and was pretty sickened at some of the opinions on there, hence this post getting a bit ranty!

Back