Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

People who don’t take bike racks off when not in use....

Volkywagen

Volkywagen

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
The past two years of Cali ownership have been grand, half of the joy of owning my van is probably driving it on the open roads and seeing other vans, nodding the head, waving ahoy, and basically loving the drive.
But I have noticed that at least 70% of other California’s, and also tailgate blessed transporters, have the bike racks attached....with nothing on.
Now before people start, I understand that it’s not the easiest thing to remove, that it’s great for drying clothes, that it’s hard to store.....but it really annoys me seeing them not in use.
I’ve just noticed in another thread, a member mentioning they make the van look ‘pretty’.
I disagree there. Cali is a Cali.
They remind me of my house last year when the scaffolding was up to re do the roof!
Ok the quasi isnt as nice as the kylie, but come on - let the back end shine??!!

This has to be another one of those “BELLOWS MATERIAL - TOO THIN” threads.

After 6 months of solely using Kylie as a clothes drier, we finally get to put some bikes on and head to the Slimbridge meet today... well that’s the plan atm ‘cos I’m not taking them if makes the Cali look shite.

Last edited:
This has to be another one of those “BELLOWS MATERIAL - TOO THIN” threads.

After 6 months of solely using Kylie as a clothes drier, we finally get to put some bikes on and head to the Slimbridge meet today... well that’s the plan atm ‘cos I’m not taking them if makes the Cali look shite.

Granny tip #56: When attaching bikes to bike rack it's often helpful to remove washing first o_O

But if you leave the washing on at the same time the flapping will clean the bikes on the way.
Just make sure you have used fabric conditioner for that perfect shine on the bikes - Cali multi-use again :)

Wife wants a rear bike rack now so that she has somewhere to hang the towels.

I must admit to now wanting a bike rack for the same reason.

I love air-drying my clothes but the only chance I ever get to do that is when I inadvertently drive off with the tail gate still open and my laundry bag empties into the slip stream :shocked

Must put my thule ball hitch bike rack on with the storage box. Then as i did a few years ago, left the picnic things on it and drove down auto route with french waving arms, never did find our peugot salt and pepper grinder :bananadance2:bananadance2:bananadance2

Cheaper bit of bling than a chrome pack, and imo makes a Cali look a Cali rather than a Thansporter van, and yes, great for drying washing on, also acts as a handy handle when closing the rear door, win win win !

The biggest waste of time on the California...

Absolutely hated the thing, hence why my latest van doesn’t have one.
Impossible to gain access to the boot area with more than one bike attached. Thus having to remove bikes to get something out the boot, no thanks.
Plus it’s high up,looks an eyesore and is single worst design feature of the California. Scratch that, second. The handbrake fouling the drivers chair on swivel has to be the worst.

Towbar sliding rack much better, easily removed and gives unhindered access to the boot area...
Would never go back to the tailgate version mount. Infact you couldn’t give me one

The biggest waste of time on the California...
Would never go back to the tailgate version mount. Infact you couldn’t give me one

Shame ...i had one ready for you ....guess i will take it to the tip then ;)

I have considered making a fixture of mine on my bedroom wall as a clothes hanger but haven't managed to get the idea passed by the committee, yet.

Towbar sliding rack much better, easily removed and gives unhindered access to the boot area...

Yes but what about towel drying?

If you have the tailgate bike rack and the rear spoiler does the rack interfere with the downforce and mess up high speed cornering?

With many cities introducing low emission areas, this is a must have. I quickly take the bikes if my 2006 cali is not welcome anymore. That's why I leave it on my car...

Shame ...i had one ready for you ....guess i will take it to the tip then ;)

Stick it at the side of the road for the Rag and Bone man.
Hopefully he will melt it and make something useful ;)

Sugar....... I have those. Bought them a few years back and thought they looked handy but no idea what they were used for.

Just saved me £589. Thanks.

I agree, blinkin bike racks, coming over here, carrying all our bikes...I dunno