Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Performance & Economy: Beach and SE/Ocean

Batmobile

Batmobile

Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
Some of you may have noticed that the VW brochure figures for T6 Cali fuel consumption and performance are identical between the Beach and Ocean, which cannot be the case in real life due to the 200Kg extra weight of the kitchen set up in the Ocean.

While I cannot find 'true' figures for the T6 anywhere, these figures listed by Parkers, for the T5, do show clear differences in the 0-60 time and a very slight difference at the top end. Certainly, nobody buys the Cali to be a speed demon, but the difference in acceleration shows that the engine notices the lesser weight of the Beach and would invariably result in noticeably lower fuel consumption. While this seems to be common knowledge among those who have used both, its a shame the VW figures for the T6 show no separation. It is also not clear whether the VW T6 figures were derived from the Beach or Ocean, although one would assume the former, simply because they would look better on paper.

Before we purchased our Cali SE we had a T5.1 VW Kombi van which was running virtually empty all the time.
Over 2 years 18k miles the Cali has averaged 34.3 mpg and over 15k miles the Kombi averaged 37 mpg, both with the same 140bhp/6 speed gear box, the difference I assumed was due to the "kitchen load" in the Cali.
3 mpg difference sounds reasonable to me.

In the german broschure:
150HP Beach DSG, consumption 6.2L/100km, 0-100kmh 13 seconds, max speed 181kmh
150HP Ocean DSG, consumption 6.2L/100km, 0-100kmh 14.3 seconds, max speed 178

It seems Ocean adds 1 second to the acceleration but no difference in consumption, which seems a bit odd.
The total weight gain on ocean is 164kg over beach. It seems using airline aluminium is good for the weight.

That's interesting, Kave, because in comparing like for like on the UK specs, the difference is 182 Kg. Maybe the specs are different, or maybe VW is all over the place!

In real world conditions weight will make a difference but official mpg values are done on a rolling road following a prescribed protocol. I can think of 2 areas where weight (mass) will be a factor: acceleration and height change. On a rolling road your only accelerating the wheels and it doesn't change height during the test.
Having said all that how does the test account for aerodynamics? Using my logic a Cali should have the same mpg as a TT with the same engine. Maybe a calculated value using rolling road measurements adjusted by weight and drag factors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can you trust anything that VW say!!
Agreed and in any case mpg figures are only a rough guide. We all know that.
I can and have driven my 2litre DSG Touran and managed to get 67 to the gallon. (Over a 100 miles in the highlands) I have also driven if and got closer to 30. In sport mode/manual enjoying the drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My acceleration gets me away from traffic lights, accelerates me into the overtaking lane of a motorway with ease, gets me cruising comfortably down a motorway without having to wait for big gaps to pull out into, ensures I hold no one up and allows me to get from A to B legally as quickly as any other vehicle.

I'm not sure if its 0-60 in 14 seconds or 14 days but it certainly does me and if the brochure is half a second or half a week out I'm really not fussed. It does what I want it to do and what was promised it could do.

Does it really matter.....we have a wonderful van, we try to drive economically (more to with environment than anything else) but occasionally give it a good thrash because .....well it's just fun to drive....if we thrash it mpg average if we don't it's pretty good....it's a van, it's heavy whatever configuration it comes in...

Reactions: Dan
Facts and information are not 'binary issues' that boil down to whether they matter or do not matter. Facts are facts. 'Mattering' is personal and subjective and based on considering those facts.... and in between mattering not at all and a lot, there are many shades of grey.

Yes, the Cali is heavy whatever the configuration, but one configuration is 7% heavier still. Whether this matters to you is again personal. It is also no bad thing to be interested in information, because it's only after you have it that you can determine whether it matters.

I think its probably a good thing not to try to tell others what they should and should not want to know, or care about. This happens a lot on forums and kinda rains on other people's enthusiasm. It's OK to let other people care about what they want to care about. Besides, it all add the the fringe information that ends up on this forum that other people, somewhere, sometime, will be glad to know :)

Last edited:
Facts and information are not 'binary issues' that boil down to whether they matter or do not matter. Facts are facts. 'Mattering' is personal and subjective and based on considering those facts.... and in between mattering not at all and a lot, there are many shades of grey.

Yes, the Cali is heavy whatever the configuration, but one configuration is 7% heavier still. Whether this matters to you is again personal. It is also no bad thing to be interested in information, because it's only after you have it that you can determine whether it matters.

I think its probably a good thing not to try to tell others what they should and should not want to know, or care about. This happens a lot on forums and kinda rains on other people's enthusiasm. It's OK to let other people care about what they want to care about. Besides, it all add the the fringe information that ends up on this forum that other people, somewhere, sometime, will be glad to know :)
I think you misunderstood me (but appreciate the lecture anyway), my comment was my personal view on a thread about mpg, I wouldn't dream of suggesting what others should think or commenting on what matters to them, particularly not on this forum where some are a touch sensitive...anyway, time to get out in the rain and enjoy the Cali I think....

Last edited:
Anybody has real figures for fuel consumption on T6?
Need to know the difference for 110 and 150kw. 0,3L difference from the data seems suspicious.

Anybody has real figures for fuel consumption on T6?
Need to know the difference for 110 and 150kw. 0,3L difference from the data seems suspicious.
Why?
These are laboratory figures that have absolutely no relationship to the real world.

Example.
T5 180. 2 passengers. Yesterday 180 mile trip to London in 3hrs 15 mins - 32miles/gallon. Travelling in an Easterly direction

Return trip. Yesterday. 2 passengers. 180 mile trip from London to S Wales in 3 hrs 18 mins - 28 miles/gallon. Travelling in a Westerly direction.

Difference South Westerly 60 mph gale with gusts upto 80 mph with rain . That is the real world.

Yea need real world tests for T6 110 and 150kw thank you.

my T6 150 Beach - 500 miles in is returning 36 mpg according to the computer - mainly short runs in town.

Return trip. Yesterday. 2 passengers. 180 mile trip from London to S Wales in 3 hrs 18 mins - 28 miles/gallon. Travelling in a Westerly direction.

Difference South Westerly 60 mph gale with gusts upto 80 mph with rain . That is the real world.
Are you sure it wasn't full of shopping:D

Are you sure it wasn't full of shopping:D
Unfortunately no. Visiting friends . In fact, if anything it was lighter on the way back as less fuel on board.

There are so, so many variables. If a difference of 0.3L is going to sway your decision on a ÂŁ50,000 + vehicle, especially when, it would seem for a lot of owners, it is only used for high days and holidays then I just don't get it I'm afraid.
I only look at the average mpg as an indicator if something might be wrong. Otherwise it's off we go, wherever with a big smile.:D:D:D:D:D:kiss

Oh, and we did stop at Membury on the way up and Leigh Delamere on the way back. Comfort break, but I just love my 7Tag.

I can no longer get ÂŁ100 of fuel in

That's pretty impressive, especially for such a new engine.

My former V70 D5 (2.4L, 185 bhp) would not have done that well with 50K on the clock. That car averaged 38-39 overall, with a fair number of long runs. Primarily driving around/in out of town, with lots of cold starts, you'd be lucky to get much north of 30mpg. Yes, it had a bit more power, but it was also half a tonne lighter.

my T6 150 Beach - 500 miles in is returning 36 mpg according to the computer - mainly short runs in town.

Can I just add to this that if your mpg figures are taken from the vehicles computer then they are probably not accurate. On my T5 I've found them to be up to 10% out, the only true way to calculate mpg is from fill up to fill up.

Have a look at fully.com, Snowy55 I'm presuming those are your figures on there?

My beach has been averaging overall about 33.5 mpg in the past year around town and mostly short trips unfortunately.

At the weekend we drove to Berwick upon tweed some 280 miles each way, averaged 42mpg which I was very pleased with, all at 60 and 70 most of the way.

My Volvo D5 was around 7 to 10mpg out on the computer. So 38 on the computer equated to 31 and 50mpg to 40mpg.

I hope "Ollie" (Landrover D3 4.4 V8) is accurate. 18mpg on extra urban. 25mpg on a run on the computer.

Back