Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pet travel after brexit

Normally in Apr-May, we head south in ZuluCampi, but until our esteemed and learned Parliament and EU Commission decide about postponing Article 50, we can't make concrete arrangements inasmuch as we travel with dogs. When the pet passport scheme came into existence circa 2000/2001 wherein a rabies jab, followed by a month before bloods were tested, then a 6 month waiting period; travel became possible to England without quarantine. From that time until 31 December 2013, that is how it worked. Rabies injection had to improve during those years because the EU said the UK had to merge with their requirements. Hence from 1 Jan 2014, a rabies jab did not require a blood test afterwards and 21 days later travel was permitted into England. If we leave with no deal, dogs coming out of UK to EU AND dogs coming from EU to UK need a a blood serology 4 months in advance of travel (however, if one has kept the original passport which, during the time previous to 1 Jan 14 had the page stamped for serology test and signed by vet, another blood test is not necessary).
The rabies inoculation hasn't changed or regressed backwards, just the TITS running Parliament and EU Commission. Scab picking. When amateurs get involved in trying to negotiate terms of business. So come on Article 50 extension! Campi needs to feel her wheels a'rollin!
I am waiting to see what happens in the next few weeks before making Eurotunnel reservations. A friend of mine had their dogs blood tested 4 months ago ready for travel after 29 Mar, based on current Defra advice. It cost him £100 per dog. If Article 50 is postponed until June, we will travel as per normal, and I am seriously considering having my dogs blood tested for the 4 month run up to our Aug/Sept travels hoping the costs are much lower. Three of our dogs have the original serology test, so they are fine to travel. But I caution: print off the Defra adice - don't always rely that the Eurotunnel Pet Passport Check Point Charlie in Calais WILL have it. I've run the gauntlet with them many times!
My dog Zeb has had a passport since 2012 and traveled away loads. Hes never had a blood test so not sure where the before 2014 thing and old passport comes from.

I was told that he would need one now if there’s no deal and that it can take 3 months due to samples being sent to Europe and waiting for results.
He’s had 3 rabies jabs over the years and it’s so annoying to have to pay for this blood test on a maybe bases!

I have three rescue dogs from Spain, brought to the UK with no indication of Leishmania. One was diagnosed 6 yrs ago with Leishmania and I gave her the Glucantine treatment, which was successful in harnessing her Leishmania and she hasaid been on Allopurinol tablets since. Blood tested once a year in Spain, as they have such a better knowledge of it. Her overall health is steady and I continue with her pills twice a day. Spanish dog #2, blood tested positive with very low leish and on pills twice a day. Took my 4 month old puppy with all the precautions last Aug/Sep, blood tested her and 3rd Spanish dog for leish, ready for the innoculation of Letifend. Spanish dog passed, puppy tested positive with very low leish. On tablets until 30 May and another blood test in Spain to see way forward with her. As there, unlike humans, is yet an inoculation 100% for dogs, it is a Russian roulette. So I have to give pills twice a day - big deal. They just line up with mine. But that's my take on it only.
Thank you for sharing your experience. Had I not seen this thread I would have gone back to my favourite places in southern France without a thought other than following my vets recommendations. Please how long had you had your dog before it tested positive? Mine is 5 1/2 years old and came from a high risk area but never had a blood test that I know of.

DEFRA say 7/8 months (December 2016). Where does it say 3 weeks?
Look at the list of ingredients that accompanies the Serest collar. It lists imidacloprid and flumethrin which protect against fleas, lice and ticks. I'm no practicing chemist, but I thought the ingredient Deltamethrin is what helps to combat the bite of the phlebpromine sandfly. This spring I will use Advantix every three weeks, Scalibilor collar, Motillum and spray my dogs in the evening with Avon Skin So Soft. And hope for the best.

Thank you for sharing your experience. Had I not seen this thread I would have gone back to my favourite places in southern France without a thought other than following my vets recommendations. Please how long had you had your dog before it tested positive? Mine is 5 1/2 years old and came from a high risk area but never had a blood test that I know of.
I had the first Spanish leishmaniasis dog - Chikki - for two years before noticing lesions on her ears and forelegs. Not being familiar with leishmaniasis at all, we left Spain in late Sept and by mid-October, I knew something was wrong. My vet took blood tests 3x, but didn't have knowledge of the disease. I sent the tests to my vet in Spain and they confirmed and posted Glucantine to me. I received it and immediately began injecting her for the next 40 days; a jab every other day. Halfway through, she began to rally. That was over 6yrs ago and is now and forever on Allopurinol 2x a day. The 2nd leishmaniasis Spanish dog, no lesions at all except a toe pad which never really healed, so last year had him tested; positive, but very low. Allopurinol 2x a day. The UK born puppy took me by surprise in Kate Feb as she had bloods prior to a Letifend jab against leishmaniasis. This Letifend jab has surpassed the Cannilesh jab for effectiveness. But Advantix and collars are still recommended in conjunction with it. I'm lucky as our travels to Spain enable me to deal with vets who are knowledgeable about leishmaniasis. So once a year the leishmaniasis dogs have a blood test to see the levels of leishmaniasis. That and allopurinol pills plus Hills U/D kibble to help avoid crystala build up in urine tract. Just a tiny tiny handful in morning brekkies. I take my pills first, then the leishmaniasis dogs receive theirs. An easy ritual really.

Look at the list of ingredients that accompanies the Serest collar. It lists imidacloprid and flumethrin which protect against fleas, lice and ticks. I'm no practicing chemist, but I thought the ingredient Deltamethrin is what helps to combat the bite of the phlebpromine sandfly. This spring I will use Advantix every three weeks, Scalibilor collar, Motillum and spray my dogs in the evening with Avon Skin So Soft. And hope for the best.
Before leaving the UK in June 2017, we were advised by our British vet to protect against fleas and ticks with the Seresto collar, and once in the sandfly regions of Southern Europe to buy the Scalibor collar. In El Peurto de Santa Maria (Atlantic coast so no sandfly) we had cause to visit a vet in November 2017 and as we’d soon be passing to the Med coast asked to buy a Scalibor collar. He looked at the Seresto collar already on Meg and told us that recent research had shown Seresto to be more effective against Sandfly than Scalibor. He had nothing to gain from the advice, as we were ready to buy Scalibor from him but had no need to buy Seresto as we were already using it.

The research on sheltered strays in Catania and Syracuse seems pretty thorough and suggests ~90% reduction in sandfly bites on dogs wearing Seresto collars.

=====
At the end of the study, the incidence of L. infantum infection in collared dogs—based on animals being positive in any of the tests—was 5.5% in Seresto-treated dogs and 20% in Scalibor-treated dogs, resulting in overall efficacy of prevention of 88.3% for Seresto and 61.8% for Scalibor.
=====
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5025139/

Last edited:
Before leaving the UK in June 2017, we were advised by our British vet to protect against fleas and ticks with the Seresto collar, and once in the sandfly regions of Southern Europe to buy the Scalibor collar. In El Peurto de Santa Maria (Atlantic coast so no sandfly) we had cause to visit a vet in November 2017 and as we’d soon be passing to the Med coast asked to buy a Scalibor collar. He looked at the Seresto collar already on Meg and told us that recent research had shown Seresto to be more effective against Sandfly than Scalibor. He had nothing to gain from the advice, as we were ready to buy Scalibor from him but had no need to buy Seresto as we were already using it.

The research on sheltered strays in Catania and Syracuse seems pretty thorough and suggests ~90% reduction in sandfly bites on dogs wearing Seresto collars.

=====
At the end of the study, the incidence of L. infantum infection in collared dogs—based on animals being positive in any of the tests—was 5.5% in Seresto-treated dogs and 20% in Scalibor-treated dogs, resulting in overall efficacy of prevention of 88.3% for Seresto and 61.8% for Scalibor.
=====
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5025139/
I've used Seresto collars for the past 3yrs +. Prior to returning to the UK on 6 March, we had the dogs passported in Andorra. After checking and worming them, I asked to add Seresto collars to the bill and the vet was emphatic that Seresto did not protect against the sandfly as opposed to Scalibor. Seresto claims that imidacloprid and flumethrin now protect against the sandfly and yet when looking up imidacloprid and flumethrin, they are effective against fleas and ticks. And yet on Bayer.com, at the very end, they have stated:
"Forward-Looking Statements
This release may contain forward-looking statements based on current assumptions and forecasts made by Bayer management. Various known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors could lead to material differences between the actual future results, financial situation, development or performance of the company and the estimates given here. These factors include those discussed in Bayer’s public reports which are available on the Bayer website at www.bayer.com. The company assumes no liability whatsoever to update these forward-looking statements or to conform them to future events or developments."
Tom - colour me confused!

I've used Seresto collars for the past 3yrs +. Prior to returning to the UK on 6 March, we had the dogs passported in Andorra. After checking and worming them, I asked to add Seresto collars to the bill and the vet was emphatic that Seresto did not protect against the sandfly as opposed to Scalibor. Seresto claims that imidacloprid and flumethrin now protect against the sandfly and yet when looking up imidacloprid and flumethrin, they are effective against fleas and ticks. And yet on Bayer.com, at the very end, they have stated:
"Forward-Looking Statements
This release may contain forward-looking statements based on current assumptions and forecasts made by Bayer management. Various known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors could lead to material differences between the actual future results, financial situation, development or performance of the company and the estimates given here. These factors include those discussed in Bayer’s public reports which are available on the Bayer website at www.bayer.com. The company assumes no liability whatsoever to update these forward-looking statements or to conform them to future events or developments."
Tom - colour me confused!

If you read something like this:
http://www.leishmaniasis.info/control/
You may well believe that Scalibor is the only effective collar. However, the date of the article is August 2002, nearly 17 years old!

Seresto was launched in 2011, and in this 2016 release they make no claim of its effectiveness against Sandfly.
http://www.epresspack.net/seresto/serestohistory-five-year-launch-anniversary/

Last edited:
If you read something like this:
http://www.leishmaniasis.info/control/
You may well believe that Scalibor is the only effective collar. However, the date of the article is August 2002, nearly 17 years old!

Seresto was launched in 2011, and in this 2016 release they make no claim of its effectiveness against Sandfly.
http://www.epresspack.net/seresto/serestohistory-five-year-launch-anniversary/
Well done on the Bayer Seresto 2016 press release wherein it states nothing regarding leishmaniasis. Here is my strategy for Apr/May: all dogs Advantix every three weeks, all non-leish dogs to wear Scalibor collars, leish dogs to wear Seresto. All dogs to have Motillium syrup during this stay. This formula to be repeated in Aug/Sep. And pray to Saint Francis of Assisi to protect my dogs. Inasmuch as Seresto has acaricide flumethrin and imidacloprid (flea and tick), Scalibor has Deltamethin against leish, I'm considering having them wear both. If the necks break out in a rash, then off they go. All three ingredients are topical. I know the work continues on developing a yearly injection that actually will 100% stop leish, but as of yet it's not been developed, Letifend is the closest thus far.

Well done on the Bayer Seresto 2016 press release wherein it states nothing regarding leishmaniasis.
In 2016 the research was incomplete and/or it was not licensed to protect against leishmaniasis. While the bar for animal licensing is lower than for humans it can take years for a new product to gain a licence.
Here is my strategy for Apr/May: all dogs Advantix every three weeks, all non-leish dogs to wear Scalibor collars, leish dogs to wear Seresto. All dogs to have Motillium syrup during this stay. This formula to be repeated in Aug/Sep. And pray to Saint Francis of Assisi to protect my dogs. Inasmuch as Seresto has acaricide flumethrin and imidacloprid (flea and tick), Scalibor has Deltamethin against leish, I'm considering having them wear both. If the necks break out in a rash, then off they go. All three ingredients are topical. I know the work continues on developing a yearly injection that actually will 100% stop leish, but as of yet it's not been developed, Letifend is the closest thus far.
That looks like a very good strategy. We timed our year long trip around Europe so as to be in sandfly regions in winter (November to April). Meg always slept in the van.[/QUOTE]

In 2016 the research was incomplete and/or it was not licensed to protect against leishmaniasis. While the bar for animal licensing is lower than for humans it can take years for a new product to gain a licence.

That looks like a very good strategy. We timed our year long trip around Europe so as to be in sandfly regions in winter (November to April). Meg always slept in the van.
[/QUOTE]
Mine never sleep outside; home, camping or Spain! I receive enough nervous glances from fellow campers, but always reassure them the dogs are never left unattended (they have an 8-sided wire fence surrounding them with camping paraphernalia hanging off) and sleep inside at night. Good travelling and many adventures, Tom!!

Normally in Apr-May, we head south in ZuluCampi, but until our esteemed and learned Parliament and EU Commission decide about postponing Article 50, we can't make concrete arrangements inasmuch as we travel with dogs. When the pet passport scheme came into existence circa 2000/2001 wherein a rabies jab, followed by a month before bloods were tested, then a 6 month waiting period; travel became possible to England without quarantine. From that time until 31 December 2013, that is how it worked. Rabies injection had to improve during those years because the EU said the UK had to merge with their requirements. Hence from 1 Jan 2014, a rabies jab did not require a blood test afterwards and 21 days later travel was permitted into England. If we leave with no deal, dogs coming out of UK to EU AND dogs coming from EU to UK need a a blood serology 4 months in advance of travel (however, if one has kept the original passport which, during the time previous to 1 Jan 14 had the page stamped for serology test and signed by vet, another blood test is not necessary).
The rabies inoculation hasn't changed or regressed backwards, just the TITS running Parliament and EU Commission. Scab picking. When amateurs get involved in trying to negotiate terms of business. So come on Article 50 extension! Campi needs to feel her wheels a'rollin!
I am waiting to see what happens in the next few weeks before making Eurotunnel reservations. A friend of mine had their dogs blood tested 4 months ago ready for travel after 29 Mar, based on current Defra advice. It cost him £100 per dog. If Article 50 is postponed until June, we will travel as per normal, and I am seriously considering having my dogs blood tested for the 4 month run up to our Aug/Sept travels hoping the costs are much lower. Three of our dogs have the original serology test, so they are fine to travel. But I caution: print off the Defra adice - don't always rely that the Eurotunnel Pet Passport Check Point Charlie in Calais WILL have it. I've run the gauntlet with them many times!
I did exactly the same I waited to book eurotunnel until parliament had done its thing so now hes travelling on his normal passport with no blood test required