Best VW California Dedicated Forum by Miles :)

Petrol option discontinued

Discussion in 'Buying a VW California' started by Victor, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Victor

Victor VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204
    Year:
    I hear Volkswagen have now confirmed they will no longer sell petrol California's in the UK any more, I suspect this is due to poor sales?

2. Digger

Digger VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 150
    Apparently the CO2 levels were too high I was told. As VW are concentrating on next generation electric or hybrid we will have to wait and see. As for diesels, they will be with us for a long time no matter what transpires.

• I Agree I Agree x 1
  3. 69 Campers

69 Campers VIP Member VIP Trade Partner

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 150
    Year:
    We can purchase petrol models here in France, LHD only though

If interested please PM

4. kave

kave VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 4Motion
    Year:
    The petrol versions are no longer in the german configurator so I guess they are gone at the moment.

5. CDinFrance

CDinFrance VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204
    Year:
    Looks like I now have a collectors item...

• I Agree I Agree x 1
  6. Scorf

Scorf VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Cali On Order
    Year:
    Personally I'm amazed VW ever thought a petrol T6 would be a viable option in commercial vehicle scenario......

I'd heard directly from a VWC dealer that they'd had complaints from customers of new petrol transporter panel vans that they were only getting 13mpg when fully loaded..!!

Given a Cali is the equivalent of a reasonably loaded Transporter, even the more sympathetic right foot of a Cali owner, as well as generally longer trips, it was never likely to be anything other than expensive to run & therefore an extreme niche seller.....

I did see a petrol Ocean, delivery mileage, for sale at less than £50k..... that tells you all you need to know..... a dealer fire sale, with comparatively poor residuals for whoever lets themselves be talked into it....

Not sure what were VW thinking.... despite all the anti-diesel rhetoric, until hybrid versions are available I thought the petrol idea was madness! :D

• I Agree I Agree x 1
  7. flying banana

flying banana T6 Ocean 204ps manual VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204
    Year:
    the governments scare tactics over diesel will increase the countries co2 output as people switch to petrol. and then guess what,we will be fined by the Geneva 6 or whatever its called for failing to meet targets. this dumb government creates it's own stupid mess and they can't see it. reduce co2 by getting rid of speed humps,switch off traffic lights when not needed.allow people to turn left at red lights. all these will reduce co2 but will they do it ? no because they are thick. are they going to have petrol lorries,petrol jcb's. petrol earth movers . diesel is here to stay and it's cleaner than ever

• I Like That! I Like That! x 2
    • I Agree I Agree x 2
  8. Velma's Dad

Velma's Dad VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180
    Year:
    Those are all interesting ideas... but CO2 reduction is only one goal and surely has to be balanced against others. In the case of speed bumps, from what I've read they almost certainly do increase CO2 emissions quite a lot, while the impact on local air quality harm (a big health issue) is actually fairly neutral - because they tend to be on low-traffic roads.

But the govt, under pressure from green campaigners, in fact has been prodding local authorities towards taking out speed bumps... only then to get push-back from organisations that put road safety as their top priority, and traffic calming does reduce pedestrian casualties. One of my family, who is visually impaired, has been hit by a car while crossing a road, so I have quite a lot of sympathy with people who want to make city streets more pedestrian-friendly.

It appears that 'speed cushions' (the ones that don't span the whole road width) are a good compromise to achieve traffic calming, especially in a 20mph zone, while keeping cars moving fairly smoothly.

9. Stow

Stow VIP Member

Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204
    But a Cali isn't a commercial vehicle scenario. As a daily drive, 2 mile trips won't do much for the residuals on a diesel either.
    FWIW, my loaded petrol Cali did 31.4 mpg down the M2 this afternoon.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    • I Like That! I Like That! x 2
  10. Elizabeth Silman

Elizabeth Silman

I think that is the case. I was agonising about going for diesel or petrol for my new replacement Cali. When I came to order petrol was not available so that solved that problem! It's due march/April ...

• I Like That! I Like That! x 1
    • I Agree I Agree x 1
  11. jcshnz

jcshnz

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180 4Motion
    Year:
    Interested to know why you were considering the petrol version?

12. Damon18

Damon18 VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Coast 204
    Year:
    Just checked on VW France site, and petrol option have also been dropped on all Cali versions (Beach, Coast, Ocean & Edition models).
    However, petrol versions are stll offered on some Transporter (non Cali models)!

13. bigmac77

bigmac77 VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 140
    Year:
    Yes but you would say that. It’s like my local butcher who was in the paper saying going vegan won’t save the world.

14. WelshGas

WelshGas Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life. Top Poster VIP Member Lifetime VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180 4Motion
    Year:
    One off readings are of no significance whatsoever. What is the average fuel consumption over 20,000 miles?
    Use the MFD Average Fuel Consumption On Memory 2.

15. CDinFrance

CDinFrance VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204
    Year:
    On 10,000 kms I have averaged 11 l / 100 km - that includes lots of mountains... 204 TSI DSG - helps to have a light touch.

16. Erbster

Erbster VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 150
    Year:
  17. Thruxton

Thruxton VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204
    Year:
    I’m at 9000miles and average is 25mpg.... but lots of local south London journeys included. But I still love having the petrol.

• I Agree I Agree x 1
  18. Stow

Stow VIP Member

Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204
    I'm sorry for buying a car which suits my circumstances better than another car which doesn't suit my circumstances

19. Stow

Stow VIP Member

Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204
    Without a counterfactual diesel, the 20k statistic won't tell you much either because it'll be based on the type of journeys I commonly make.

20. WelshGas

WelshGas Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life. Top Poster VIP Member Lifetime VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180 4Motion
    Year:
    Correct, on the M4 I can average 41 mpg, but over 20,000 miles it is 31.3, as a daily driver and long distance and 30.2 brim to brim which takes into account the Parking Heater.