Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Petrol or diesel? Now or wait until June

I too am waiting for some petrol reviews/test drives before deciding what to do. I wish to use the Cali as my only vehicle and I do very little commuting miles each day (7 miles each way) and have been concerned about DPF issues when used for such short daily commutes, at generally low speed/revs. IF the petrol variants give good drive-ability then it may well be the best choice for me. That will also depend on the actual MPG figures though. Looking at the gov website the road tax will be the same £140 per year for both the diesel and petrol Cali variants so no difference there. The first year tax is more on the petrol (£1500) but this is included in the on the road price (right?) so no worries there and the petrol list price is slightly less than the diesel variants.

Be interested to hear from anyone who has driven a petrol Cali or 'velle.

Petrol engines are better for short trips to the shops etc. But now it looks like they are after both petrol and diesel cars so its a know win which ever way you go.

I too am waiting for some petrol reviews/test drives before deciding what to do. I wish to use the Cali as my only vehicle and I do very little commuting miles each day (7 miles each way) and have been concerned about DPF issues when used for such short daily commutes, at generally low speed/revs. IF the petrol variants give good drive-ability then it may well be the best choice for me. That will also depend on the actual MPG figures though. Looking at the gov website the road tax will be the same £140 per year for both the diesel and petrol Cali variants so no difference there. The first year tax is more on the petrol (£1500) but this is included in the on the road price (right?) so no worries there and the petrol list price is slightly less than the diesel variants.

Be interested to hear from anyone who has driven a petrol Cali or 'velle.
The diesel cali t6 with adblue is nearly on par for nitrigen oxide emissions with petrol,i think it has come down from over 200 unit to 60 units a petrol is 50 units so with much better fuel economy and Co2 emissions, and effortless pulling power for relaxed driving which is an important part for me driving a diesel Cali.

I definitely am going with Diesel . I had a VW 1.4 TSI Caddy maxi DSG Petrol, Great to drive, very smooth and quite, but just didn't have the torque of my previous Zafira Diesel. With the Cali being heavier, and because I use it for work with long journeys it has to be diesel for me. My new Beach will arrive October, 150 2.0 TDI DSG. Cant wait.

The bit I would disagree with is the comment that complicated EU6 add blue diesels will get more unreliable. Says who? Where is the evidence of that or is it just unevidenced opinion? Why such negativity? All i know is that mine has relatively good published emission statistics and its very very reliable.

Sorry disagree.
The more that goes into an engine the more complicated it is and therefore more possibilities for it to go wrong.
The only reason engines are more reliable now is because of better manufacturing, ie automation, rather than manual machining.
Better fuels and oils also help.

This is an interesting thread. I am also considering petrol, for all of the reasons mentioned.

Interestingly, there are exactly zero used T6 petrol models for sale in Europe on either Aoutoscout24 or Mobile.de. Several hundred used diesels for sale though.

I spoke to both a major importer of used vans from Germany to France, as well as a major used VW Tradeport dealer in Germany that sells a lot of Calis.

Neither have ever sold a used petrol T6, and the Tradeport told me that they are probably only 1% of the new vehicle market. They also confirmed that the petrol model has been available from the beginning of the T6 model.

So it is not going to be easy to try one...

This is an interesting thread. I am also considering petrol, for all of the reasons mentioned.

Interestingly, there are exactly zero used T6 petrol models for sale in Europe on either Aoutoscout24 or Mobile.de. Several hundred used diesels for sale though.

I spoke to both a major importer of used vans from Germany to France, as well as a major used VW Tradeport dealer in Germany that sells a lot of Calis.

Neither have ever sold a used petrol T6, and the Tradeport told me that they are probably only 1% of the new vehicle market. They also confirmed that the petrol model has been available from the beginning of the T6 model.

So it is not going to be easy to try one...

If the other thread that mentions lack of parking heater with the Petrol engine then I think that has helped with my decision.

In France the Coast model has both the parking heater and electric roof with front tent window as standard. Petrol models are not available in Spain and the Coast in both Spain and Germany does not have a heater, electric roof or front tent window as standard. Seems they like to confuse us...

Sorry disagree.
The more that goes into an engine the more complicated it is and therefore more possibilities for it to go wrong.
The only reason engines are more reliable now is because of better manufacturing, ie automation, rather than manual machining.
Better fuels and oils also help.
Possibilities of unreliability , yes. I stand by that unreliability 'may' come to be the case but i cant see evidence it 'will' happen.

Any updates in the petrol v diesel option? I am just starting the process of replacing my very much loved 2008 T5 diesel Cali. My only vehicle. I live in Cumbria and holiday in Scotland so it needs to be able to manage hills.

Well I’ve got a T6 204 DSG petrol loan Cali at the moment and it’s quite thirsty. Around town and pottering c.22mpg and on a long journey hovering under 70mph it might just crack 29-30mpg.

It certainly can hustle along when needed in sport mode on the gearbox, quite sprightly to the point that the handling doesn’t like it. (This one doesn’t have the bigger anti roll bars or lowered suspension).

I wouldn’t choose it to be honest. The 204 diesel has more torque and lugging power and better MPG. With adblue it’s as clean as you’ll get a diesel to be at the moment too.

I’m a confirmed petrol head and have owned many many sportscars but i’d take the diesel in the Cali.

Well I’ve got a T6 204 DSG petrol loan Cali at the moment and it’s quite thirsty. Around town and pottering c.22mpg and on a long journey hovering under 70mph it might just crack 29-30mpg.

It certainly can hustle along when needed in sport mode on the gearbox, quite sprightly to the point that the handling doesn’t like it. (This one doesn’t have the bigger anti roll bars or lowered suspension).

I wouldn’t choose it to be honest. The 204 diesel has more torque and lugging power and better MPG. With adblue it’s as clean as you’ll get a diesel to be at the moment too.

I’m a confirmed petrol head and have owned many many sportscars but i’d take the diesel in the Cali.
Thanks. That's really useful.

I read a comment elsewhere on this forum that diesel calis are going to be discontinued. Also I am planning to buy (actually to PCP) a new Cali later this year when the lease on my car expires. Looking on the VW vehicle configuration yesterday, it only listed a petrol engine, not a Diesel engine. But I want diesel as it will be my only vehicle and doing around 17k miles per year, so mpg very important. Does anyone know what VW is planning for Cali production?

I read a comment elsewhere on this forum that diesel calis are going to be discontinued. Also I am planning to buy (actually to PCP) a new Cali later this year when the lease on my car expires. Looking on the VW vehicle configuration yesterday, it only listed a petrol engine, not a Diesel engine. But I want diesel as it will be my only vehicle and doing around 17k miles per year, so mpg very important. Does anyone know what VW is planning for Cali production?
I am not sure VW knows!

Diesels are currently not listed on the configurator due to the current conformity issue relating to emissions during the dpf regeneration cycle. News is expected any day on when registrations can recommence.

I read somewhere on here that petrol calis will be withdrawn from sale by the middle of this year....

I considered petrol but my van will be used as a 2nd car so the economy/range of the petrol is an issue.

I spoke to someone via the live chat on the be Cali website and luke said diesel was very much still an option. However the configuration only offers petrol options
I'm going to ask my dealer to get clarification.

Back