Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Petrol?

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Any chance we might get petrol versions of the California on our shores? I know two are being released but it's probably not for the UK.

Not the biggest fan of diesel...

Probably not, But I suppose with the recent press regarding the production , or lack of production, of Diesel in the UK they could have a change of heart!

Maybe we'll run a 150 T6 then hope for a petrol one at some stage.

I would expect the recent developments might see a petrol option being fast tracked into the UK. Do they sell petrol Cali's elsewhere and what MPG do they achieve?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Given we've been discussing any form of T6 derivative reaching these shores for the last 12 months, to expect VW to be clear on future marketing policy is like counting flying pigs.

Dealers are still in the dark about T6 options so I would take any "worldly pronouncement" by them on the future of Diesel just 24 hours after 'dieselgate" surfaced to be nothing more than fanciful musing.

But if VW is asking dealers if there is enough demand, that's a fairly sure sign.

I'd take a 5mpg drop in mpg for increased reliability any day; although our Cali was unbelievably thirsty anyway!

But if VW is asking dealers if there is enough demand, that's a fairly sure sign.

I'd take a 5mpg drop in mpg for increased reliability any day; although our Cali was unbelievably thirsty anyway!
Presumably you have not heard of all the problems with the VAG group petrol engines. I've had experience of them and wouldn't have one at any price.
I think your also looking at a lot more than a decrease of 5mpg if you went for the petrol Cali.
On my second Cali in 5 years and only problem I've had is the roof corrosion

TBH I'm going to wait for the dust to settle on this HUGE scandal before filling out any order forms.

TBH I'm going to wait for the dust to settle on this HUGE scandal before filling out any order forms.
Yep agreed. I know they are probably no worse than anyone else but this has the potential to change the whole debate on diesels in general. I was not in a hurry anyway and even less so now!
I personally prefer diesel for this sort of vehicle and love my present 11 year old Tdi Touran Sport.
On the bright side VW still make the best camper and they may now have to work harder to sell them. As they are quite often sold to existing customers they will have to look after them better.

Not sure the demand would be that great, most T5/T6 are commercial vans by a huge margin and diesel would be the best option re mpg / torque / megamiles etc

But VW is making two petrol T6 models and the current scandal is bound to impact diesel demand.

It would be interesting to see the takeup for petrol vans, can't remember the last time i saw one.

I would expect the recent developments might see a petrol option being fast tracked into the UK. Do they sell petrol Cali's elsewhere and what MPG do they achieve?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked up a French T6 Cali brochure last week and that quotes a petrol option being available for that market.

Rod

It would be interesting to see the takeup for petrol vans, can't remember the last time i saw one.
A friend had a VR6 T4 Caravelle; damned cool!
I think a few early T5s had a petrol option.

The reliability issues will still be there with the new engines, not had any dpf/egr problems with any of my diesels (touch wood) but have had expensive repairs to petrol engines re sensors/ engine management systems. These new engines will have more sensors and electrickery to go wrong, stick with your basic diesel!

Yep agreed. I know they are probably no worse than anyone else but this has the potential to change the whole debate on diesels in general.
Not many has actually read the ICCT report. Two VW's that has been tested on the road over 2500 miles in California let out a factor of 15 to 30 more NOx emissions than they should.
In the mean time they tested a BMW X5 that was generally at or below the standard and only exceeded the standard during rural uphill operating conditions.

It seems, all cars are not the same in this matter.

You'd think an X5 would be higher!

I have to say that having sold ours (numerous issues, many diesel related) in January but now thinking of buying a T6, we might just have got our timing just right.

Possibly.

I spoke to VW yesterday and they said that the introduction of a petrol engine into the commercial vehicles fleet was currently taking place. Which models are involved had not been decided, and no decision was likely until next year. A petrol California would certainly be well received by the American market but whether the American motor trade would welcome such a vehicle is doubtful.

I own a 2015 T5.2 150kw/204PS Petrol California ..Only the first Series on the 2.0 TSI had problems with the cam chains. Since 2013 this engine is not causing any problems.
Unfortunately at the Moment here in Germany VW offers the T6 Cali only with DSG on the 204PS engine. For me a Nogo, no way I buy a DSG transmission Car.
Fuel consumptipn? Cruising with Cruise Control at 110kmh mine uses 10.7l per 100km, doing 100kmh on cruise Control 9,7.
Okay, last week coming back from Norway at Night time on German Autobahn doing 190+ for 2 hours it took 23liters, but Boy it was Fun.

Decided a bit late in the day to read exactly what the Euro 6 regulations are and As a result I am far more positive. I will still wait until they are rolling off the production line and for the current crisis to unfold but on the face of it a properly tested vehicle if it is a diesel is only marginally more polluting than a petrol in relation to Nitrogen (NOx) and cleaner in relation to Carbon Monoxide (CO).

I appreciate these levels have to be genuine but find it difficult to believe that they won't be in the future. I am more than happy to be slapped down but felt like being positive on a Sunday evening :)

Euro 6 emission limits (petrol):

• CO - 1.0 g/km
  • HC - 0.10 g/km
  • NOx - 0.06 g/km
  • PM - 0.005 g/km (Direct Injection only)
  • PM - 6.0x10 ^11/km (Direct Injection only)
Euro 6 emission limits (diesel):

• CO - 0.50 g/km
  • HC+ NOx - 0.17 g/km
    NOx - 0.08 g/km
  • PM - 0.005 g/km
  • PM - 6.0x10 ^11/km
Taken from full article at:-

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuels-and-environment/euro-emissions-standards.html

Interestingly they are offering the Caravelle with petrol now, so we may see a petrol California soon!

I picked up a French T6 Cali brochure last week and that quotes a petrol option being available for that market.

Rod

Hello Rod,
I ordered a T6 H2L3 with 150 hp TSI petrol engine. Engine code is EA888. Delivery end of march.
In Belgium the TSI version is 2500 € cheaper than the 150 hp TDI version.

Is the hightop on your T5 self build or from factory? Can you send me some pictures of the inside because I want to transform the T6 van into a camper.

Back