Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

PF Jones towbar fitting?

W

weeve

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi all. I dont have factory trailer prep but I think I have the appropriate westfalia codes for the detachable bar and westfalia electrics (321454300143) plus the extension if no fuse box under seat (havent checked yet). Ive now been honest with myself and decided Id loose patience (and the will to live) trying to fit myself.
Q: has anyone used the PFJones mobile fitting service to have it all installed? My local VW dealer has just quoted me 1400 incl VAT (laughing tears still flowing) for fitting the VW version - whilst PFJones with Westfalia electrics 600!! I just really want to work and not fail on me...have rear camera etc on 510 stereo

Hi all. I dont have factory trailer prep but I think I have the appropriate westfalia codes for the detachable bar and westfalia electrics (321454300143) plus the extension if no fuse box under seat (havent checked yet). Ive now been honest with myself and decided Id loose patience (and the will to live) trying to fit myself.
Q: has anyone used the PFJones mobile fitting service to have it all installed? My local VW dealer has just quoted me 1400 incl VAT (laughing tears still flowing) for fitting the VW version - whilst PFJones with Westfalia electrics 600!! I just really want to work and not fail on me...have rear camera etc on 510 stereo
For professional advice and fitting give Westfalia-automotive at Bristol a ring and you can speak to Phil who knows VW t5 inside out.

I personally would think that is the best way to go. You will know that PF Jones are supplying the correct Westphalia parts, so the fitter will be fitting them.

The worry about going to an independant towbar fitter is knowing that they are fitting pukka bits, rather than just a cheapo towbar and relay type electrics.

Tony

Just another option as you are NorthWest based; I have previously used Chester Towbars and trailer centre to fit a Westfalia detachable towbar to an Audi A4 and they handled the canbus wiring and coding well. All very good. I got a quote from them for my T6 before deciding to have it factory fitted... their price for the T6 was £545+VAT, so circa £650.

I personally would think that is the best way to go. You will know that PF Jones are supplying the correct Westphalia parts, so the fitter will be fitting them.

The worry about going to an independant towbar fitter is knowing that they are fitting pukka bits, rather than just a cheapo towbar and relay type electrics.

Tony
My experience of pfjones is they talk the talk but you don't get to speak to the actual person who is going to fit it. Do really want someone this weather laying on the ground with your bumper on the floor or a professional in a warm dry workshop with all the necessary parts to hand. Westfalia fitted mine and until the bumper is off their is no way of telling what type of reinforcement is needed which is needed to strengthen the bumper. They supply pfjones with all parts and dedicated kits and train other company's fitters.

Tony

£600 is probably reasonable. I got the bits for £326 from PF Jones 2 years ago and it took me a day and a half to fit (with most of the time spent on the wiring) - clearly a pro will do it faster than me, but it is a labor intensive job.

I guess getting the Westphalia contact will also be guaranteed to fit Westphalia parts so that is also a good option.

I think the PF Jones fitters are just a network of independents, but my point was that at least with PF Jones you know they are fitting the right bits.

On the bumper reinforcement, I think either you have it pre-fitted or you don't - I ordered it from VW, removed the bumper - found I already had it installed and returned it to VW (that mitigated a delay in fitting)

Mixed response then
I'm Cumbria based to Bristol not easy. Although I have a ticket for Wales France at end of month in Cardiff so in the area! Have garage (tin shed really) albeit draughty so at least fitter would not have to lie on the street. Decisions decisions.

Will mobile fitters be prepared and be carrying two types of bumper reinforcement ? Will you know if the right one been fitted ? Westfalia took half a day to fit 1 detachable bar and 13 pin electrics, explained all the fitting and parts needed for less than £600. VW Chelmsford quoted just under a £1;000 and two days to do it. On my insistence that the interior was not to touched they decided they couldn't do the job. When I asked what would they do if it was a California , the fitter said well, it's a difficult job but we would run the cable above the nearside Windows after removing trim but would not run cable underneath . I was glad they didn't do the job and it was worth the diesel to go to Bristol.

Thanks. Have sent them a fitting enquiry to see what they can do and when.

right - now another decision - 13 pin or 7 pin electrics ? Sorry Im new to all this .....
In my ownership I expect Ill tow a small trailer or use as a bike rack holder but if Im doing this I assume its best to go "all in" and get the 13 pin electrics .. if nothing else then for not impacting resale? Assume if I use a 7 pin trailer I can use an adapter?

Yes, go for the 13 pin wiring. You can adapt 13-7 pin if needed, but most modern trailer systems are 13pin now.

I chose 7pin, as we had no intention of towing a caravan, but then bought a BackBox which uses the 13pin system. So I have to use a 7-13pin adaptor, which means the reversing lights on the box don't work.

Alan

Yes, go for the 13 pin wiring. You can adapt 13-7 pin if needed, but most modern trailer systems are 13pin now.

I chose 7pin, as we had no intention of towing a caravan, but then bought a BackBox which uses the 13pin system. So I have to use a 7-13pin adaptor, which means the reversing lights on the box don't work.

Alan[/QUOTE while you got the choice I would go for 13 pin. Adapters are ok but can be a weak link in the chain. If any problems it's the first thing to eliminate . Paul

While you have the choice I would go 13 pin. Adapters are ok but they can be a weak link in the chain. Would be the first thing to eliminate if any problems. Paul.

Can anybody recommend a towbar fitter near Eastbourne? Our T6 Ocean does not have the prep so I would like to have it all done by someone who knows T6's

Thank you

Hi Blubus.

Our California does not have tow bar prep either, as it happens we are having a tow bar fitted WITH 13 pin electrics programmed to our 2018 California with live feed for the ATC and Fridge as we tow a caravan, tomorrow by Phyl Taylor tow bars they are based at Horndean Hants postcode PO8 0BB.
They were recommended by a forum member.
They have informed me it will take a couple of ours, so the Wife and I will have a pub lunch while we wait, been quoted just under £600.00.
Apparently the guys work as a team when doing the fitting.

We have a choice of two bars the Westfalia that needs the bumper supports or tow trust which does not.
We have been informed that Witter have taken over Westfalia.
Not sure how far you want to travel but on our previous t5 we had some problems with a fitter near Poole, the end result was our dealer had to get one of the Vw fitters to sort it out.
Will give you more info over the week end as once fitted we will have to plug into out caravan to check all is ok.
Hope this helps.

Alan.

Hi Alan, I hope it goes well. I am happy to travel to get it done by people who know T6 vans.

Thank you

Hi Blubus.

I did some research and they do know there stuff, I believe they take the wiring under the California by removing the under trays, and coming up under the passenger seat and making connections to the fuses there, they use a dedicated
Wiring kit.

The forum member who recommended them to me was Kevthegas, another forum member Walrus was also interested in the fitting so if he is reading this,
And he has not had his tow bar fitted yet this also may be of interest to him.

Will keep you informed.

Alan

I had one fitted a few months back, it was done by an independent guy who does all the fitting for the local VW dealer, he had it in his workshop for the best part of a day, four post lift, bumper off, all the under trays off, wiring run under the floor pan, all westfalia bits, thirteen pin socket with an adapter, all works ok. He fitted a full set of genuine mud flaps as well, 750 quid. VW wanted a grand for the tow-bar alone. Its not really a job to do on the drive.

Also interested in hearing how it goes as I was just on the verge of going with PF Jones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These guys did mine, it was a retro fit of the factory westfalia removable tow bar

I can highly recommend them , Excellent service, took a couple of hours, included coding for reversing camera, trailer stabilisation etc.

identical to factory fit, good neat job at a fair price compared to others, possibly not the cheapest, but possibly the best!

approved by Audi and recommended to me by the main VW dealer I bought the van from.

They will travel and fit at your home or place of work for a small additional fee.
Satnav Systems, Unit G, Argent Court, 175 Hook Rise South, Surbiton
KT6 7NL

GPS coordinates: 51 22’20.3″ N, 000 17’23.5″ W

tel: 0203 1414 114

tel: 0808 222 0000

www.satnavsystems.com

These guys did mine, it was a retro fit of the factory westfalia removable tow bar

I can highly recommend them , Excellent service, took a couple of hours, included coding for reversing camera, trailer stabilisation etc.

identical to factory fit, good neat job at a fair price compared to others, possibly not the cheapest, but possibly the best!

approved by Audi and recommended to me by the main VW dealer I bought the van from.

They will travel and fit at your home or place of work for a small additional fee.
Satnav Systems, Unit G, Argent Court, 175 Hook Rise South, Surbiton
KT6 7NL

GPS coordinates: 51 22’20.3″ N, 000 17’23.5″ W

tel: 0203 1414 114

tel: 0808 222 0000

www.satnavsystems.com

Thanks for that. Fairly close to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Blubus.

Our California does not have tow bar prep either, as it happens we are having a tow bar fitted WITH 13 pin electrics programmed to our 2018 California with live feed for the ATC and Fridge as we tow a caravan, tomorrow by Phyl Taylor tow bars they are based at Horndean Hants postcode PO8 0BB.
They were recommended by a forum member.
They have informed me it will take a couple of ours, so the Wife and I will have a pub lunch while we wait, been quoted just under £600.00.
Apparently the guys work as a team when doing the fitting.

We have a choice of two bars the Westfalia that needs the bumper supports or tow trust which does not.
We have been informed that Witter have taken over Westfalia.
Not sure how far you want to travel but on our previous t5 we had some problems with a fitter near Poole, the end result was our dealer had to get one of the Vw fitters to sort it out.
Will give you more info over the week end as once fitted we will have to plug into out caravan to check all is ok.
Hope this helps.

Alan.
Hi, is the tow bar you are having fitted the detachable or fixed type?

If I may tag on to this lastest post.

I did say I would report back to Blubus and Walrus re our Tow bar fitting today.

Everything went according to plan arrived this morning at Phil Taylor towbars at
Horndean Hants post code PO8 0BB at 11.00 am.
Upon arrival Phil and two of his staff Malcolm and Ben went through to check our
Needs on our California.
His Wife Pam runs the Office and as I phoned previously and wanted a 13 pin socket and electrics as we tow caravan.
In Pams words, you want the works done
We Left our California walked back into the small Village, there is a garden centre not to far a walk were we we coffee,
Just under a couple of hours later Phil phoned me to say all done.
When we returned to his workshop both Malcom and Ben gave me a full demonstration of what was done and how.

Because our California did not have trailer prep.
The dedicated wiring kit was taken under the under side floor trays and the into the engine bay by the battery where the control module is fitted, a section is then taken behind the engine bulkhead and brought into the cab area to link to the ECU, once all connected they then programmed it to the vehicle. Malcolm also
Informed me they put a test on the electrics before they start to make sure all is ok.
As we tow a caravan I decided on a Tow Trust detachable bar, as this bar has a better nose weight than the Westfalia bar, and does not require any bumber supports.

All I can say that these Guys do know what they are talking about, and have been very helpful with all my questions.

They have done a very neat job, and gave me back the original bumber support
If I need to remove the bar in the future.

I would certainly Recommend this company to any Forum member.

Finally I would like to thank Kevthegas for his recommendation .

I hope this helps any forum member.

Alan

Thank you very much Alan.

What caravan are you planning to tow?
If I may tag on to this lastest post.

I did say I would report back to Blubus and Walrus re our Tow bar fitting today.

Everything went according to plan arrived this morning at Phil Taylor towbars at
Horndean Hants post code PO8 0BB at 11.00 am.
Upon arrival Phil and two of his staff Malcolm and Ben went through to check our
Needs on our California.
His Wife Pam runs the Office and as I phoned previously and wanted a 13 pin socket and electrics as we tow caravan.
In Pams words, you want the works done
We Left our California walked back into the small Village, there is a garden centre not to far a walk were we we coffee,
Just under a couple of hours later Phil phoned me to say all done.
When we returned to his workshop both Malcom and Ben gave me a full demonstration of what was done and how.

Because our California did not have trailer prep.
The dedicated wiring kit was taken under the under side floor trays and the into the engine bay by the battery where the control module is fitted, a section is then taken behind the engine bulkhead and brought into the cab area to link to the ECU, once all connected they then programmed it to the vehicle. Malcolm also
Informed me they put a test on the electrics before they start to make sure all is ok.
As we tow a caravan I decided on a Tow Trust detachable bar, as this bar has a better nose weight than the Westfalia bar, and does not require any bumber supports.

All I can say that these Guys do know what they are talking about, and have been very helpful with all my questions.

They have done a very neat job, and gave me back the original bumber support
If I need to remove the bar in the future.

I would certainly Recommend this company to any Forum member.

Finally I would like to thank Kevthegas for his recommendation .

I hope this helps any forum member.

Alan