Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Picking our beach up on Friday

Hi Everyone,

CorkyCali crew here (Shaun, Julia and Baby Stella).

We are picking our California Beach up on Friday and we are super excited to start our campervan adventures as a family.

We are based in Liverpool so will be looking to take advantage of any hidden gems on the northwest, Wales and the lakes. We will also hopefully be adventuring into Scotland and Europe once we have had our first few weekends away.

I've read a few posts online here over the past few posts and threads online on this site over the past few weeks.

We will gratefully receive any hints tips, tricks that the forums can throw at us.

Thanks

Shaun
Hi CorkyCali Crew!
It is great to feel the excitment in your post!!!!! I remember that feeling, and even three years on, we still get very excited at the prospect of any upcoming adVANtures!

I would have to agree with lots that other posters have put on here, about not buying too much too soon, but definitely ask questions and read the excellent revies posted on here. There is so much (even now) that I find fascinating and usually on any visit to the site I find something new on interest to take away.

Don't bother witha 12v mini kettle. We have one and it never comes on trips. Take a std electric kettle as more often than not you can get and will opt for EH (electric hookup). If not, as Perfectos said, use a combination of cheap gas canister single burner & old style whilsting kettle. In fact we do all our cooking on two single burners and have either of both disposable BBQs or the foldeing X-shaped one that folds flat (I think Atwell make a version of it) but you find almost anything you need at places like Go Outdoors. The X-shape BBQ also then doubles as an excellent family sized fire pit (as it is off the ground) on sites where fires are permitted.

We have the three seater bench Beach and our most useful purchases have been:

1) six large clear plastic boxes 80cmx40x18 with lids (from Asda) that neatly stack under flexiboard and then slide out the back of the van and under the vehicle.
2) A small pop up 2 man tent is also an excellent bit of kit as you can use it as a pitch reserver & storage pod when leaving side to go exploring in the van during the day.
3) A decent fridge (not cool box) that comes on almost all trips (of 2 days or more) and sits behind the passenget seater. It runs off 12v, 240v or gas. It is a lift lid version made by Dometic and is absolutely silent!

I'll post some more thoughts later and a link to our (*under construction*) blog which records 2x 21 days trips to different parts of Europe - trips that have taken us to an amazing array of places that we would never have visited without our Beach 'Uggy Bear'... including The Luberon hills, Verdon Gorge, St.Tropez, Port Cros, Monte Carlo, there big Italian Lakes Maggiore (& Orta), Como and Garda, The Cinque Terre, Venice, through several Swiss and Austrian alpin passes taking in Interlaken, Saalbach, Zellam See and on our homeward legs the Rhine Valley, Brugge and various WW1 memorials.

Hi Everyone, thanks for responses.
I'm going to work my way through them.
Had a busy little time in work then a stag weekend away.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Downloaded tapatalk so figuring that out

Other useful bits

Vanessa window backs, surprising how much clothes you can fit in when packed correctly using packing cubes

tarp to extend wind out awning ( either with or without drive away awning) make sure the wind out is secured well

Washing line, forum member BIGTEDView attachment 45562View attachment 45563View attachment 45564
Where did you get the storage box for the window? When I've searched I've only been able to find ones for the ocean.

You could go out right now and spread an absolute fortune on gear and equipment, my tip would be to get some bare essentials, such a gas cooker, bbq, plastic storage boxes (very useful boxes with lids) and use your Cali at every opportunity, adding gear after each trip.

Consider a fridge, I would not be with out my compressor fridge goes almost everywhere with our family, even on days out ( plenty on here to read about fridge v cooler box, vs different sizes and makes)
I have a CFX35, large enough for 4 days food, beer and vino, does take up space in the rear, although I travel with mine behind the front seats, strapped to the lashing behind both front seat. I either leave it in the van on short durations or move it to the drive away awning on longer trips, highly recommend for three seater beach set up.

Ask away, if you have questions, everyone will be more than happy to give you their opinion, but remember, no one other person is you and yours ! You make it up as you see fit.
Where did you get the fridge from? I think it's something we'll have to look into as we get into longer trips.
Cheers

Welcome to the beach life.

We have had ours for almost a year now and haven't gone crazy buying things as we were keen campers previously so use a lot of the same stuff but now organised in storage boxes that fit under the multiflex board.

So with having a baby keep hold of the safety net for the future - my boy is 4 and loves sleeping in the pop top. Keeps the downstairs free for us to stay up later.

We have a drive away awning for use of 3 nights plus (on picture below) and also got a camping room that attaches to the wind out awning for extra space for 1 or 2 nights.

We have got a thermal windscreen wrap which makes the downstairs really dark and insulated as the curtains provided always left gaps and got damp on the ends.

We have also got the isotop liner which keeps the top dark and protected from wind drafts - perfect for our boy as it helps him sleep.

To protect van floor we have the front carpet from brandrupt - there are lots of options available in a variety of formats.

On the forum there is a good thread about a smaller table that can be kept in place whilst driving and doesn't interfere with the bed set up. We find this more convenient than getting out the bigger table - which we often use outside anyway.

We had the Inca seat covers with the van when we got it. They are good for greasy little hands although they don't have isofix holes so we have to roll back of the seat cover down when car seat is in situe.

Other than that we haven't really bought anything else yet....we are still working out what suits us best. There is a lot of information in the forum about Cali with kids / babies so spend some time reading and seeing what others do.

Enjoy.
989dbbae4a1dc44cc099802b13ec95c3.jpg
8104a927867081f0a215c781f5c43ca3.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
We have got a thermal windscreen wrap which makes the downstairs really dark and insulated as the curtains provided always left gaps and got damp on the ends.

Hi,

Is this something that wraps externally? How much space does it take up when folded down?

Thanks

Hi,

Is this something that wraps externally? How much space does it take up when folded down?

Thanks

Hi, it's in a bag and fits into our beach double seat draw. There is probably some puff left in it to squish out.

On another thread (wha have you bought today for your cali) people said they could fit it in the tailgate with the chairs.
a1291227894a37ecdb97ec79a3dfb4f9.jpg

My best suggestion for storage boxes for the 3 seat bench Beach is Muji drawers:- 2 x 24cm or 18cm + 30cm fit *perfectly* under one side of the multiflex.

You will need a fridge. We have a CFX28 which can be strapped to the front passenger seat.

A double burner cooker and bottle of gas, and you are all set for your first camping trip.

Save buying anything else until you’ve had a few trips away and have worked out what works for you.

Hi, it's in a bag and fits into our beach double seat draw. There is probably some puff left in it to squish out.

On another thread (wha have you bought today for your cali) people said they could fit it in the tailgate with the chairs.
a1291227894a37ecdb97ec79a3dfb4f9.jpg

We'll have to have a little plan then and see where we could fit it if we get one as we have the 3 seater bench

We'll have to have a little plan then and see where we could fit it if we get one as we have the 3 seater bench

If this helps this is it out of the bag and rolled again...not the "eyes" that are sewn on make it harder to roll as small as it could be as the material is not as flexible.
1618d6094e4a1fff6f0bca7aa86866d4.jpg

Where did you get the storage box for the window? When I've searched I've only been able to find ones for the ocean.

Hi Corky

Vanessa window bags came from Campervantastic, but are available elsewhere

Where did you get the fridge from? I think it's something we'll have to look into as we get into longer trips.
Cheers

Dometic cfx35 fridge from Dometic Amazon shop, sometimes on offer, keep an eye on prices

Other useful bits

Vanessa window backs, surprising how much clothes you can fit in when packed correctly using packing cubes

tarp to extend wind out awning ( either with or without drive away awning) make sure the wind out is secured well

Washing line, forum member BIGTEDView attachment 45562View attachment 45563View attachment 45564
Hello,
Apologies for poor response times.

Work, life, second child now on the way have meant not much use of van as yet other than a couple of trips. We've realised we'll need an awning...and a heating solution, last couple of weeks have definitely noticed being in van of a night isn't going to be suitable for small kids.

I noticed a couple of your photos, you had an awning, attached to the side awning, effectively using the side awning as a porch leading to the awning. This is a great set up, could you let me know how you did it as I think it's something we'd like to have a go at.

Cheers

Shaun

Hi Corky

It’s a simple oxford material tarp, attached to the awning frame and legs and pegged out via bungee ball cords.
Very simple, cheap and highly effective

I see if I can find the details of the tarp, bungee balls readily available from eBay or camping outlets

if you don’t don’t have the aux heating fitted, you can still use a small electric fan heater whilst on hook up. I have used a small fan heater in the awning, works great

Here you go details of the tarp from Amazon
You may also want some of the knock I. Eyelets so you can add additional fixings to the existing ones available from many places F59D3B56-535F-4C54-B354-198633B11777.png084FCC80-CEED-4421-AE5D-B9E74631E1D0.png

My best suggestion for storage boxes for the 3 seat bench Beach is Muji drawers:- 2 x 24cm or 18cm + 30cm fit *perfectly* under one side of the multiflex.

You will need a fridge. We have a CFX28 which can be strapped to the front passenger seat.

A double burner cooker and bottle of gas, and you are all set for your first camping trip.

Save buying anything else until you’ve had a few trips away and have worked out what works for you.
And water. Depending on the trip, I have a 20 ltr jug with spout in the back, or 8 2 ltr square plastic bottles in the front door pockets, or both.

Along time away from the threads for multitude of reasons, the main one being a new addition to the Corky Cali crew, Baby Willow :)
Me and Julia had a good chat today, we've decided to up our campervan game rather than move house, so we are currently planning a 6-9 month trip around europe!!

Along time away from the threads for multitude of reasons, the main one being a new addition to the Corky Cali crew, Baby Willow :)
Me and Julia had a good chat today, we've decided to up our campervan game rather than move house, so we are currently planning a 6-9 month trip around europe!!
We took a few months out when ours was 18months. Must be done before schooling starts. ZERO regrets, went to many places in Europe we’d never been, stuck to a routine (2 hour max drive after breakfast, stop permanently for lunch, baby snooze afternoon) Provence> Corsica> Sardinia ( fabulous) Tuscany> Umbria> Lake Como> Switzerland> Germany> Denmark> NE Sweden Lakes back via Holland. Dog came too

D247DD64-D556-4CD0-966C-598DBADB2ABE.jpeg

Congrats and Congrats, two life changing events.

We took a few months out when ours was 18months. Must be done before schooling starts. ZERO regrets, went to many places in Europe we’d never been, stuck to a routine (2 hour max drive after breakfast, stop permanently for lunch, baby snooze afternoon) Provence> Corsica> Sardinia ( fabulous) Tuscany> Umbria> Lake Como> Switzerland> Germany> Denmark> NE Sweden Lakes back via Holland. Dog came too

View attachment 62711
Amazing, we're looking on doing something similar, did you have a plan or just follow the wind?

Congrats and Congrats, two life changing events.
Cheers Buddy, very much life changing. Just after having our discussion about a euro trip has got me excited and digging through shed for the camper van bits that have been put away

Back