Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pioneer SPH-DA160DAB

Phil-B

Phil-B

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Has anyone fitted a Pioneer SPH-DA160DAB head unit?
If so, would you recommend? Is there something better out there with DAB, Car play and Bluetooth (and reverse cam, which I may fit later)?
I'm looking at putting one in my 2011 SE...

One question I have is: One of the few functions my existing stereo has is DAB, all the fitting videos I have seen on YouTube show the installation of a stick-on screen mounted DAB aerial - would I actually need this or could I use the existing DAB aerial (which I presume must already be there for it to work currently)?
Cheers in advance
Screenshot 2021-10-30 190258.jpg

You may try asking Absolut5&6 they may also be able to supply any adaptors/looms that you may require.

If so, would you recommend? Is there something better out there with DAB, Car play and Bluetooth (and reverse cam, which I may fit later)?

One question I have is: One of the few functions my existing stereo has is DAB, all the fitting videos I have seen on YouTube show the installation of a stick-on screen mounted DAB aerial - would I actually need this or could I use the existing DAB aerial (which I presume must already be there for it to work currently)?
Cheers in advance
View attachment 86162
We have a Kenwood DMX8019DABS in our 2012 Beach which uses the existing DAB Aerial in the wing mirror, but you also need to mount a GPS aerial which requires removal of the glove box (you stick it on top of the glove box so it’s hidden out of the way, and then put the glove box back in). Unit has wireless carplay, Bluetooth etc and if you get the interface lead then will allow display of climate control settings, reverse camera, parking sensors on the unit & radio station on the MFD (provided your old unit had the feature).

Speak to Absolut5 as they can recommend/ supply best units, correct leads & have excellent technical support.

We have a Kenwood DMX8019DABS in our 2012 Beach which uses the existing DAB Aerial in the wing mirror, but you also need to mount a GPS aerial which requires removal of the glove box (you stick it on top of the glove box so it’s hidden out of the way, and then put the glove box back in). Unit has wireless carplay, Bluetooth etc and if you get the interface lead then will allow display of climate control settings, reverse camera, parking sensors on the unit & radio station on the MFD (provided your old unit had the feature).

Speak to Absolut5 as they can recommend/ supply best units, correct leads & have excellent technical support.

Thanks - the unit I’m looking at doesn’t have built in sat nav (it uses Google maps / Apple maps / Wayze through car play) so I wouldn’t need the GPS aerial. I’ll give Absolute5&6 a shout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks - the unit I’m looking at doesn’t have built in sat nav (it uses Google maps / Apple maps / Wayze through car play) so I wouldn’t need the GPS aerial. I’ll give Absolute5&6 a shout

The Kenwood unit does not have built in Satnav (uses Waze via carplay), but comes with the GPS aerial but can’t remember what it is required for…maybe something to do with the Wifi in the headunit? but glovebox is very easy to remove. If your van already has built in Bluetooth, you need to unplug it (as new headunit has its own Bluetooth). Our VW BT module was hidden the void under the glovebox.

The Kenwood unit does not have built in Satnav (uses Waze via carplay), but comes with the GPS aerial but can’t remember what it is required for…maybe something to do with the Wifi in the headunit? but glovebox is very easy to remove. If your van already has built in Bluetooth, you need to unplug it (as new headunit has its own Bluetooth). Our VW BT module was hidden the void under the glovebox.

Nice one, thanks

@Lambeth Cali quick question - do you get any visual display from the parking sensors with the Sony, or is it just the "beeps"?
I think you can connect rear parking camera to it. The van parking beeps don’t come from the stereo.
We have a 2008 T5 so no steering wheel controls for us.
Important point is the front USB is to connect your phone. No rear connection. I like this as it’s kinda future-proof if phones change. Apple is arguing with EU about cables I think.
You possibly can use it as a USB input.
I just love CarPlay and Waze etc. Also very usefully I can use Waze via my phone and USB while my wife’s phone Bluetooths music and audiobooks at the same time. I think that quite rare and useful.

Last edited:
Cool, I like that it has a built in USB at the front

You can also easily fit these tidy sockets in the existing dash blanks for units that have USB ports on the rear:

Cheers in advance
View attachment 86162
I’ve got that model Pioneer in my 2007 SE fitted with eBay wiring kit, windscreen antenna and dashboard adapter.

In terms of DAB reception I wouldn’t say it’s wonderful but it’s no worse than other cars with factory fitted DAB.

I fitted the USB in one of the passenger side switch blanks with araldite, quite a neat solution but I may move it over to drivers side as if a memory stick is inserted it gets knocked when rotating seats.

car play etc works great very pleased with it.

the only negatives are that it doesn’t auto-mute for the reverse sensors, which is compounded by the touch screen volume so you find yourself furiously tapping the volume minus button to hear the rear beeper which is mounted in the rear of the Cali

Cheers in advance
View attachment 86162
Hi there. I have a pioneer head unit fitted in my old Golf. It looks very similar to the one in your picture. It is great and has dragged my car back to the future. I use Apple Car play which is fab. I had it professionally fitted with a DAB aerial and reversing camera which wasn’t cheap. If you have a DAB aerial already I’d have thought you’d be fine. Id highly recommend the Pioneer