Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pitch marking

B

BrendanJ

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
As the proud owner of a Cali since Oct, every day is a journey on kitting out and accessorising. What do you think of my idea for pitch marking

I looked at the generic yellow pitch markers and as recognised on the reviews they suffered the following weakness.
- lightweight and foldable, but too light weight in case of wind ( some suggestions of weighing down with bottle of water tied on with string or pinning down with tent pegs). But what a faff for a supposedly designed and bought item.
- An irritation I know but all the ones I could find had a picture of a motor home on them, I am the proud owner of a camper van!!! Could not find one at all even on this shop. They also have to be marked up anyway with registration number, more bespoke

so why not make my own. Needs to be lightweight, small and foldable, but big enough and weighted on pitch
I remembered an old foldable water carrier I had which I figured could be marked up and weighted with water when required. In making up I discovered don’t even need to fully unfold, as it will hold enough water easily to hold down even whilst folded. Finished off with camper van sticker and indelible ink marking.

I am sure it could be neater but does the job, ( I have purposefully covered up the number plate marking for this post

what do you think, for the cost of the bottle, unless you have an old one like me, a sticker and indelible pen37DE4D03-F2D2-4CF4-B953-289E4F400884.jpeg

Tent pegs considered originally but again problematic on hard pitches I thought

Don’t do what we did.

On a site in Croatia we marked our pitch as “in use” by stringing a rather nice cord washing line between to trees.

When we returned from a day trip to Dubrovnik someone had swiped our washing line, pegs and all.

As the proud owner of a Cali since Oct, every day is a journey on kitting out and accessorising. What do you think of my idea for pitch marking

I looked at the generic yellow pitch markers and as recognised on the reviews they suffered the following weakness.
- lightweight and foldable, but too light weight in case of wind ( some suggestions of weighing down with bottle of water tied on with string or pinning down with tent pegs). But what a faff for a supposedly designed and bought item.
- An irritation I know but all the ones I could find had a picture of a motor home on them, I am the proud owner of a camper van!!! Could not find one at all even on this shop. They also have to be marked up anyway with registration number, more bespoke

so why not make my own. Needs to be lightweight, small and foldable, but big enough and weighted on pitch
I remembered an old foldable water carrier I had which I figured could be marked up and weighted with water when required. In making up I discovered don’t even need to fully unfold, as it will hold enough water easily to hold down even whilst folded. Finished off with camper van sticker and indelible ink marking.

I am sure it could be neater but does the job, ( I have purposefully covered up the number plate marking for this post

what do you think, for the cost of the bottle, unless you have an old one like me, a sticker and indelible penView attachment 56277
....and paint the underside black and you will return to hot water on a sunny day

Don’t do what we did.

On a site in Croatia we marked our pitch as “in use” by stringing a rather nice cord washing line between to trees.

When we returned from a day trip to Dubrovnik someone had swiped our washing line, pegs and all.
Thought you was going to say someone had hung up there laundry for a minute

Best to head off out on the bikes .....
leave the cali on the pitch so no body will nick it this way you can go to the pub and drink beer too ;)

Is this a thing? I ask as I’m still new (1year in), and all the sites we’ve visited your allocated a cordoned off pitch with a number.

what do you think, for the cost of the bottle, unless you have an old one like me, a sticker and indelible penView attachment 56277
I’ve a tow bar fitting, so I use the spare number plate when not in use on my trailer. I’ve made a short telescopic post out of an old tent pole, works a treat!

Is this a thing? I ask as I’m still new (1year in), and all the sites we’ve visited your allocated a cordoned off pitch with a number.
This is a thing. Mainly for Campervans and Big Whites that depart their pitch for a day only to return to find a squatter on your pitch. Tends to happen only on very busy or larger sites.

On a tangent, reminds me years ago when motorcycle camping with my then girlfriend on an independent fairly large site. We had pitched our 2 man tent and went out on the bike. On return, a massive Winnebago had pitched about 2 feet from our guy line and the couple were sunning themselves on their patio. A complaint to the site manager resulted in them having to move their monstrosity to a more suitable pitch. Happy days.

Always thought that it was a lack of basic Management control of the site that caused this issue.

During many years of going to French Campsites always have been given a list of available pitches and told to go and select one and come back to inform the Office as to the pitch now occupied. No risk of anyone 'stealing' the pitch with this simple Management control.

We have made these from 6mm thick Dibond personalised with reg number.

50C000EF-2BA7-4CB8-9A08-5344E39C5C44.jpeg

We use a collapsible traffic cone marked with our reg number. It is quite a good compact pitch marker, visible in the dark, won’t blow away in the wind and has a potential secondary use in a crash or breakdown.

Do you actually need to mark your pitch??

In some french campsites it was suggested that we leave chairs and tables on the pitch. :sad
I would never do that with the California chairs!

Back