Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pizza anyone?

Elly Swanson

Elly Swanson

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
There’s some interesting pizza posts in the outdoor cooking thread but pizza when camping, hmmmmmmm. I think it deserves it’s own thread. Let’s share some techniques, hints and tips and recipes.

There’s some interesting pizza posts in the outdoor cooking thread but pizza when camping, hmmmmmmm. I think it deserves it’s own thread. Let’s share some techniques, hints and tips and recipes.
When you phone for a delivery, run a book on how many pitches the delivery person will visit before finding your pitch. ;)

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

For a quick and easy homemade “pizza”:
Take 6 pitta breads, smother liberally with tomato purée, add toppings of your choice, finish off with shredded mozzarella cheese. Bake 2 at a time in the Cadac, on a stone preheated at maximum gas, at close to minimum gas for seven minutes. Cut in half with a pizza cutter and serve with coleslaw.

Six pitta breads (55p in Sainsbury’s) is plenty for 2 adults and 2 children for a main meal.

Children as young as 3 can make their own pizza with their own choice of toppings.

I also note in the Tom Kerridge book, if you want a healthier alternative to a pizza use a tortilla as a base, and a little parmesan as the cheese. We've done this at home and its very nice if a little tricky to eat. Sadly it just got us eating pizza again and since then my good lady likes to make her own base instead.

Last edited:
I also note in the Tom Kerridge book, if you want a healthier alternative to a pizza use a tortilla as a base, and a little parmesan as the cheese. We've done this at home and its very nice if a little tricky to eat. Sadly it just got us eating pizza again and since then my good lady likes to make her own base instead.
Great idea, Matt, that would be brilliant for kids too.
Pizza’s one of the “conundrum” foods, not necessarily healthy, but you can’t resist and it’s so satisfying to make yourself.
Do you and your good lady make them when away in the van?

For a quick and easy homemade “pizza”:
Take 6 pitta breads, smother liberally with tomato purée, add toppings of your choice, finish off with shredded mozzarella cheese. Bake 2 at a time in the Cadac, on a stone preheated at maximum gas, at close to minimum gas for seven minutes. Cut in half with a pizza cutter and serve with coleslaw.

Six pitta breads (55p in Sainsbury’s) is plenty for 2 adults and 2 children for a main meal.

Children as young as 3 can make their own pizza with their own choice of toppings.

Pitta bread bases; genius idea, Tom. I expect they would be pretty robust and easy to pick up. Brilliant idea.

Easy to cook on any equipment and would even fit in a Ridgemonkey XL.

If you opened the pitta and put your filling in the middle you’d have “faux calzone”.

You could always cook it wrapped, my mum would have said, “it all goes down the same hole”. But if you like a nice crisp top it just “wouldn’t cut the mustard” (another ancient saying with it’s traditional meaning lost in the annals of time)!

When you phone for a delivery, run a book on how many pitches the delivery person will visit before finding your pitch. ;)

That made me chuckle. I’m imagining a van full of kids overdosing on pitta pizzas, gambling - LOL.

Recipe updated:

A really quick and easy home made (or van/outdoor made) pizza base. Really tasty too. You don’t even need any weighing scales.

Ingredients:

Equal weight of self raising flour and Greek yogurt, that’s about a ratio of 1 flour to 0.5 yogurt (you could use your yogurt pot for measuring, 250ml flour will make one large base)

Pinch of salt (if so inclined, but these bases are tasty even without and there’ll be salt in your cheese for the topping)

Method:

1/ Place all ingredients in a bowl or food bag

2/ Knead for 5 mins until it feels “elastic”, if you turn it out on to a surface or if it’s too sticky after a while, add a little flour to the surface, bowl or bag to make it manageable)

3/ Shape the base - usually a circle or could be a rectangle/square for a Ridgemonkey, etc (you can pat and stretch with your hands or roll it out with a bottle/round container)

Note: I only carry plain flour in the van (I use it quite a lot for thickening, making sauces, the odd cake/pudding, etc) - you can add baking powder to create self raising flour. For every 250ml of plain flour you’ll need 1.5 teaspoons of baking powder.

If you try it, tell us what you think.

Last edited:
A really quick and easy home made (or van/outdoor made) pizza base. Really tasty too. You don’t even need any weighing scales.

Ingredients:

Equal volume (not weight) of self raising flour and Greek yogurt (you could use your yogurt pot for measuring, 250ml will make one large base)

Pinch of salt (if so inclined, but these bases are tasty even without and there’ll be salt in your cheese for the topping)

Method:

1/ Place all ingredients in a bowl (could use your washing up bowl)

2/ Knead for 5 mins until it feels “elastic” (you can do this in the bowl if pushed for space, if you turn it out on to a surface or if it’s too sticky after a while, add a little flour to the surface or bottom/sides of the bowl to make it manageable)

3/ Shape the base - usually a circle or could be a rectangle/square for a Ridgemonkey, etc (you can pat and stretch with your hands or roll it out with a bottle/round container - I’ve even used a cleaned tent pole)

Note: I only carry plain flour in the van (I use it quite a lot for thickening, making sauces, the odd cake/pudding, etc) - you can add baking powder to create self raising flour. For every 250ml of plain flour you’ll need 1.5 teaspoons of baking powder.

Caution: this dough has a much lower gluten level than traditional bread mix, so when shaping don’t show off your pizza base spinning moves (if you have any), it just won’t work and if anyone’s watching you’ll look a right numpty.

Pitta bread bases; genius idea, Tom. I expect they would be pretty robust and easy to pick up. Brilliant idea.
I'll tell you in a few weeks. For Ben's fifth birthday (I count six as the day he was born was his [first] birth day - ordinal numbers start at first not aughtth) we are having fifteen 4/5 year olds around to make pizzas and a night walk. They make their pitta bread pizzas selecting their own toppings, go for a torch lit walk around the park at 5pm on the winter solstice while the pizzas are baked, then return to eat their pizzas.

It's either a brilliant idea or a stupid idea.

Ingredients:

Equal volume (not weight) of self raising flour and Greek yogurt (you could use your yogurt pot for measuring, 250ml will make one large base)

Method:

2/ Knead for 5 mins until it feels “elastic” (you can do this in the bowl if pushed for space, if you turn it out on to a surface or if it’s too sticky after a while, add a little flour to the surface or bottom/sides of the bowl to make it manageable)

3/ Shape the base - usually a circle or could be a rectangle/square for a Ridgemonkey, etc (you can pat and stretch with your hands or roll it out with a bottle/round container - I’ve even used a cleaned tent pole)

I'll tell you in a few weeks. For Ben's fifth birthday (I count six as the day he was born was his [first] birth day - ordinal numbers start at first not aughtth) we are having fifteen 4/5 year olds around to make pizzas and a night walk. They make their pitta bread pizzas selecting their own toppings, go for a torch lit walk around the park at 5pm on the winter solstice while the pizzas are baked, then return to eat their pizzas.

Brilliant idea. He, and his mates, will always remember it. Happy birthday to Ben. Have a great time.

Brilliant idea. He, and his mates, will always remember it. Happy birthday to Ben. Have a great time.
You’ve just given me some ideas.

I like geocaching. A good fun idea would be to set up a geocache trail (great for map reading skills and following instructions for kids). For the caches you could use actual ingredients, instructions, picture clues, special treasure relating to the recipe, etc.

Or you could set an orienteering course and have the points based on letters to spell out a relevant word or home made picture puzzle clues.

Great for all ages. If you have adult mates who like a party with a bit of a difference it would be a great starter/ice breaker.

If anyone ever fancies any recipes publishing on campervan cookout I'd be more than happy to provide space. We already have gluten free jam jar pancakes, pizza dough would be a good one. I'm very happy to publish any recipes, the website is non profit and always looking for contributors :) Regular good submitters may be able to get their own account to self publish :)

I'll ask Vanessa for the recipe she uses too and put that up.

Good luck @Amarillo ! Tom you are a brave man!

Ingredients:

Method:

If you try it, tell us what you think.[

Ingredients:

Method:

If anyone ever fancies any recipes publishing on campervan cookout I'd be more than happy to provide space. We already have gluten free jam jar pancakes, pizza dough would be a good one. I'm very happy to publish any recipes, the website is non profit and always looking for contributors :) Regular good submitters may be able to get their own account to self publish :)

hey Matt

Ingredients:

Method:

Mattbw. You can use this if you think it will be useful. The wording is mine and it’s a generic recipe anyway. So no ownership rights issues.

I have ordered a Roccbox as an Xmas pressie to myself, I am hoping to use it whilst camping

V interested in the jam jar pancakes recipe (and any other gluten free recipes good for the cali) Matt... my daughter has just gone gluten free for medical reasons, so we are adjusting to that right now

Good luck @Amarillo ! Tom you are a brave man!
I had a practice with two four year olds and two three year olds yesterday. They loved it! I had a little panic just before starting; the girls are Turkish and I was offering ham, pepperoni and cooked bacon as topping options. I checked with their mum and fortunately they eat pork.

There’s no way I can do this with 15 children simultaneously- it will have to be in 2 or 3 groups.

I had a practice with two four year olds and two three year olds yesterday. They loved it! I had a little panic just before starting; the girls are Turkish and I was offering ham, pepperoni and cooked bacon as topping options. I checked with their mum and fortunately they eat pork.

There’s no way I can do this with 15 children simultaneously- it will have to be in 2 or 3 groups.

Why not recruit some willing adult helpers, some of the parents maybe. More kids = more fun, as long as you can keep them all safe while you’re out. It will be so special for Ben if all his friends could be together on the same adventure. It will just take a bit more planning. Remember Amarillo, fortune favours the brave .

Why not recruit some willing adult helpers, some of the parents maybe. More kids = more fun, as long as you can keep them all safe while you’re out. It will be so special for Ben if all his friends could be together on the same adventure. It will just take a bit more planning. Remember Amarillo, fortune favours the brave .

We will still have ~15 four or five year olds at Ben’s party, but the pizza making activity will be in three groups of 5 or 2 groups of 7/8, not one group of 15. I expect other adults will be quietly imbibing mulled wine while helpfully suggesting ways I could improve things for next time.

V interested in the jam jar pancakes recipe (and any other gluten free recipes good for the cali) Matt... my daughter has just gone gluten free for medical reasons, so we are adjusting to that right now
Here is the recipe, sorry for the delay. its very easy as you premix the dry ingredients before you leave and just mix when you need them. They keep for a while in the fridge too so you could mix before you leave.

They taste good, we have them bacon but you could also add fruit like blueberries etc. It does take quite a bit of effort to shake the jar up when mixing but we tend to pass it around. You wont get all the lumps out manually but you shouldnt notice anyway.
https://www.campervancookout.com/quick-easy-delicious-jam-jar-pancakes/

hey Matt

Mattbw. You can use this if you think it will be useful. The wording is mine and it’s a generic recipe anyway. So no ownership rights issues.
I think it is very useful, I've made a post up on the website, and added a picture of my own. If you have any amendments or concerns then please just let me know. I will certainly give it a go! Ill also update with our spelt based pizza base too, that is very nice.

Here is V's Spelt Pizza Dough, I struggle with high gluten recipes, and this is certainly easier on my stomach than a full flour one. It's a bit more involved and may not be convenient for others. It can be refridgerated and even frozen so it can be made in advance.

Ingredients

• 175g soft white flour (I used half spelt flour and half strong bread flour)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp easy-blend dried yeast
  • Half tsp golden caster sugar
  • 1 tbsp olive oil, plus some for kneading
  • 120ml warm water
Instructions

1. Mix together the dry ingredients then add the oil and half the water.
  2. Mix with a knife to a “ragged” dough mixture and gradually add the rest of the water a bit at a time, mixing as you go.
  3. Eventually all the rags will stick together into a ball – you can mix with your hands at the end to feel if the dough is wet enough.
  4. You may not need all the water.
  5. Wipe the dough ball around the bowl to catch any last bits.
  6. Lightly oil the surface and knead the ball for 5 minutes until it develops a sheen and starts to stretch.
  7. Put it back in the bowl and cover, leave it to rise at room temperature for about an hour until it’s doubled in size (out of reach of dogs dough is poisonous to them but delicious!).
  8. Once it’s risen, tip it on to the surface again, knead lightly to knock out the air then either shape your base, or wrap the dough ball tightly in clingfilm and put in the fridge (or even freeze for later).
  9. To shape the base, either use a rolling pin or flatten with your fingers working out from the centre until it’s about 25cm in diameter. Add the sauce; toppings and cheese then bake for 8-10 minutes at 230 degrees